Gibraltar curved racks suck

pjb

• Members

Well I think they do. After 10+ years of loyal service from my pearl icon, I decided I wanted a change to a round tube rack, so I bought one of these thingys with side wings, and i'm not impressed. I find it awkward to transport, and the rack scratches and the tubes crush really easily. I wanted a more compact rack (which it kind of is) but i find that the icon rack I had is way better for stabilty and the straight tubes fit more gear. I could fold my rack up and fit it in my car easier. Also, even with memory locks, there is some movement.

About the only good thing about it is it looks really good.

I'm gonna sell this one and buy another icon next week.:freak:

Anyone else have problems with gibraltar racks??? I feel like I should have asked this question a whole lot earlier...

DSC01405.jpg

• Members

Maybe you got a lemon?? I have had mine for 5 years and there is hardly a mark on it. The tubing is strong and you could hang a car from the clamps. Like you, I think the side wings are a bit iffy but you could always get another long tube extension and another post down the road if you really needed the space. I love the portability of this rig. I can fit my entire 6psc kit in a 4 door sedan and have my kit set up in 5 minutes when I get where I am going. I think I will be keeping mine for a long time to come.

• Members

"the tubes crush real easy"?? :rolleyes: I think someone might have crushed your head when you were little. Or you're backing over the tubes with a truck.

I've had a Gibraltar rack since 2001 and done countless gigs with it. It holds a ton of shit. Breaks down good, sets up good. No probs.

03_1.jpg

• Members

I have always liked that finish! My favorite Tama finishes show some woodgrain like that.

Well there weren't that many of this finish made - I've been told as low as 49 and no more than 80 kits worldwide. It's the Exotix I w/ chestnut outer ply and Sierra Gold Burst finish (not the current Gold Sunburst).

05_3.jpg

• Members

"the tubes crush real easy"??
:rolleyes:
I think someone might have crushed your head when you were little. Or you're backing over the tubes with a truck.

No need to be a dickhead LowPhreak.

Ok. maybe I should rephrase. The gibraltar clamps leave large dents which are very unsightly. when i took the rack out of the box, there were dents from a clamp that had been placed on the bar (but not tightened too much). when I placed the clamps where i wanted them and tightened them up, I checked the bar and they made pretty big gouges in the steel. On a chrome bar, it doesn't look too great. At least with the icon, the clamps are lined and don't leave too many marks.

• Members

No need to be a dickhead LowPhreak.

Ok. maybe I should rephrase. The gibraltar clamps leave large dents which are very unsightly. when i took the rack out of the box, there were dents from a clamp that had been placed on the bar (but not tightened too much). when I placed the clamps where i wanted them and tightened them up, I checked the bar and they made pretty big gouges in the steel. On a chrome bar, it doesn't look too great. At least with the icon, the clamps are lined and don't leave too many marks.

No need to say dumb {censored} about a good product either. Gee I dunno...are they making them out of soft, crappy metal now?

You should figure out what you're doing wrong with the Gibraltar, or go back to whatever you had before.

• Members

*Edit* First off, if you are getting "gouges" or large marks/dents from just putting a clamp on the bar and not too tight, there there is something wrong with your clamp. Small scuffs aside, nothing should be damaging the pipe at all when you put a clamp on, make sure there are no imperfections or burrs in the clamp on the inside first.

Ive never had problems with mine. Sure it gets scratches, but anything with chrome does. I have not had the issues with crushing, you are putting those on too tight if you are doing that. I have never had issues with the clamps slipping, even without memory locks. I only have mem locks on my right angle pipe joints, and on the tom clamps, everything else just gets put on tight and left alone.

The trick is leave the multiclaps on the pipes always. Memory locks or no, always remove the mounted item from the clamps, not the clamps from the rack. This will prove to help you clamps stay tight and never develop that loose feeling. This holds true for ANY round rack (DW, PDP, Peace, etc). So if you want to save the tubes and keep the clamps from stripping over time (Im talking many years), then leave as many of the multiclamps on when you tear down as possible. If you still have slip issues, simple put a piece of electrical tape around the pipe where the clamp goes and the extra grip should keep everything in place. Hope that helps!

As far as fitting more gear and better positioning on a Pearl style rack...are you crazy? Standard curved racks from Gibraltar claim they can hold 2-3 toms and up to 4 cymbals. I had 4 toms, rotos, and 6 cymbal booms mounted on the rack when I had the single bass setup. Now I have a double, so Ive got 6 mounted toms, 9 booms and a Mr. Bean bobble. Ive seen guys with Pearl racks wider than mine that could only cram 3 mounted toms and a few cymbals in between. Plus endless pitch adjustments on the round racks are just too good to give up.

kit2-1.jpg

• Members

Anyone else have problems with gibraltar racks???

Nope.

Same rack for over 10 years.

Not 1 failure.

For the chrome scratches use car wax first,then,if it needs more,a metal cleaner,

if it's really scuffed bad,

try Brasso

This begs the question;

"how did you tighten down your clamps so hard you bent metal?"

Are you nuts or Superman?:badump::D

• Members

I can't even imagine the tension/pressure it would take to crush a chrome rack tube. Nor can I imagine that any drums need anywhere near that amount of force to stay in place.

I had a carbon fiber rack, which would have collapsed under the pressure of gibraltar clamps (or at least deformed) easier than steel, and I didn't need that much pressure to hold anything in place, up to a 16x13" rack tom and a 21" heavy ride.

• Members

Like I said earlier, it came with four clamps on the main curved section, and they WEREN'T tight. they left marks (dents) on the bar and they stand out like dog's balls on a shiny new bar. I didn't do this, they were like that when I opened the box, nor did I overtighten the clamps I did put on. They still dented the bar though. Maybe the quality is a bit lacking in the particular rack I ended up with, dunno.

BTW, 'Lowphreak', I am voicing my concern over something I spent my hard earned on, not talking 'dumb {censored}' about a good product. If I had tightened the {censored} out of the clamps, or misused it in any way, then I could be blamed, but I didn't, so read the original post before YOU talk 'dumb {censored}'.

For the rest of you who gave me good advice, cheers! I think I will stick with it for a while at least. I guess when you go from something you used for years, to something totally unfamiliar, it does take some getting used to.

• Members

Loosely placed multiclamps on the rack tube in shipping COULD have allowed movement , like a slight TWISTING of the clamp, against the tube and mildly dented it. The boxes do get thrown around in shipping.

Scratches and minor dings are normal over a long period of use (or if thrown in unprotected into a truck or trailer). A clean up with chrome polish makes it shine and they aren't noticable from a few feet away.

Biggest PITA with the curved racks is getting the intial setup squared with the curve in only the horizontal plane. One of the reasons I like the straight tubes. Also round tubes are easy to cut to custom lengths for a really small tight rack.

Boomerweps

• Members

Biggest PITA with the curved racks is getting the intial setup squared with the curve in only the horizontal plane.

Oh dont get me started. Ive got 3 Curved horizontal sections, took me and the lady (who could be a pro tech I swear!) about 2 hours to set the rack the first time. God save anyone who messes with my frame bars now.

• Members

It seems amazing to me that Gibraltar quality could have dropped this badly. I've had a Gibraltar rack with the curved sides for 8 years (and I bought it used). I could run that thing over with my car and not do any damage to it. I've literally TOSSED them in the back of a car with other hardware and they work perfectly every time.

I do hear you on the setup. That takes a little figuring out. But once you have it down, it's just as quick as stands.

Archived