Pearl's expanded Vision series bye-bye EXPORT!

HBdrummer

• Members

That's right! 08 has retained Pearl's VSX exotic covering kits in a birch basswood mix shell with the Reference inspired 6ply toms and 8ply floors and kicks. And added an all birch Vision VBX and an all maple VMX to that series!

Hold on to your hats...The Export series has totally been discontinued! No more ECX maples no more EXR, or EX...GONE! Pearl's entry Intermediate level is a Vision VX. Basic EX covered finishes. Plus a couple new ones. Birch/basswood, 6/8 shells. Nice! There's alot of people up in arms about the demise of the long running Export series. I can't wait to see what other manufacturers are unveiling this year! I heard that Tama has done a BIG overhaul as well!

http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/showthread.php?t=196937

• Members

Great, now it's gonna be even harder for me to get more drums for my kit... ugh

You need more drums for that monster kit of yours??

:poke: :D

BTW, the new maple and birch Visions are using the exact same shells as the old SMX/SBX line. Should be killer kits for a lot less money. They still come with ISS mounts and 1.6 hoops, but replace those with optimounts and superhoops and you have essentially an SMX/SBX with Vision lugs.

• Members

Well... I
was
pondering a 16x18 FT, and maybe another smaller tom... now, I dunno....

THis hurts my soul
:(

Now's the time, then. I just got an 8" for my ECX, glad I did. Now I think drumtechson has enough drums to hit with a 7-piece. (I did most of my gigging on a 4-piece, I get all confused now when I sit behind his kit.)

As a general rule, Pearl keeps supporting older lines for a while at least--but have they had your finish available lately? Might be time for E-bay.

• Members

Now's the time, then. I just got an 8" for my ECX, glad I did. Now I think drumtechson has enough drums to hit with a 7-piece. (I did most of my gigging on a 4-piece, I get all confused now when I sit behind his kit.)

As a general rule, Pearl keeps supporting older lines for a while at least--but have they had your finish available lately? Might be time for E-bay.

I'm in touch with a few guys there... they still have my wrap available, just not in stock... so, if I order something, it'll take about 6-7 months to get it. Gonna have to wait until after I wove to order anything I think

• Members

The Visions look great and sound pretty good too. But I wish Pearl would have at least upgraded the hardware on their all birch and all maple sets. They still have I.S.S. mounts and only 1.6mm hoops. A good intermediate would have been to put some superhoops on them and the optimounts. But, got to leave something to be desired.

I bet that all maple with the 6&8 plys would sound sooo nice.

Although you could get a Gretsch Catalina Maple 6ply with beefy die cast hoops and GTS mounts.

Can you tell I'm still debating what to buy!? :confused::cry::freak:

• Members

The Visions look great and sound pretty good too. But I wish Pearl would have at least upgraded the hardware on their all birch and all maple sets. They still have I.S.S. mounts and only 1.6mm hoops. A good intermediate would have been to put some superhoops on them and the optimounts. But, got to leave something to be desired.

Although you could get a Gretsch Catalina Maple 6ply with beefy die cast hoops and GTS mounts.

Can you tell I'm still debating what to buy!?
:confused::cry::freak:

Yeah, but I think that the Vision is essentially replacing the Export line, and since the shells themselves are extremely high quality they need to meet the price point via the hoops and mounts.

It's a simple and cost-effective upgrade to move to 2.3 hoops and optimounts--that's what I did with my ECX. I bet with those upgrades the Visions will be stupid-good for the money.

• Members

Can you tell I'm still debating what to buy!?
:confused::cry::freak:

I personally think this decision is a no brainer... I have played Pearl drums for 15 or so years..and kinda strayed away in the last couple. I bought an FX shell pack for a Christmas gift for a friend and apon tuning it up and playing around with new heads..I ended up keeping it for myself! The shells are THAT good..allbeit poplar. Pearl just knows how to build drums PERIOD!

I had a stripped out wing nut on a 70 series boom stand, Called Pearl cs, And Al Percival (Pearl's CS/marketing guy) Shipped me out (2) 900 series boom stands absolutely FREE! This has made me wonder why I played any thing but Pearl?!? I can HONESTLY say that in the 32 years I've been at this, Pearl has the best in quality, build and sound and their CS dept. is bar none. This is just my opinion. Some may agree. Some may not. Yeah the Gretsch Cats. sound good.. but I have seen more than a few kits outta the carton that looked like poo. Iffy QC at times. Play what you like, but compare!

My next kit is gonna be (prolly) a VBX in concord fade with black hardware. 4 pc. of course! The VMX (maple) is available with a virgin kick drum!

Pearl is looking pretty good in '08! -HB

http://www.pearldrum.com/whybuypearl/index.html

Michelleskids-worshipWanaukee032.jpg' alt='>'>

• Members

Yeah the Gretsch Cats. sound good.. but I have seen more than a few kits outta the carton that looked like poo. Iffy QC at times. Play what you like, but compare!

My next kit is gonna be (prolly) a VBX in concord fade with black hardware. 4 pc. of course! The VMX (maple) is available with a virgin kick drum!

Pearl is looking pretty good in '08! -HB

Well, that's where my debate/decision is at right now. I've been looking at the Visions and now that they'll have all maple version, I think you're right...."a no brainer." Especially since they're keeping that 8ply floor tom and 8ply bass.

And now that you told me that there is a VIRGIN KICK DRUM...sheesh. It should be cheaper to just by the hoops and optimounts and put some evans on it. I'll be rockin soon!

• Members

I definitely recommend the Vision series kits to anyone starting out, or looking for a good upgrade to an intermediate kit. I love the Stage Customs but the Vision kids impressed the hell out of me.

I even thought about getting a vision kit for myself, but ended up getting a PDP maple kit off a friend for a good price.

• Members

Well, that's where my debate/decision is at right now. I've been looking at the Visions and now that they'll have all maple version, I think you're right...."a no brainer." Especially since they're keeping that 8ply floor tom and 8ply bass.

And now that you told me that there is a VIRGIN KICK DRUM...sheesh. It should be cheaper to just by the hoops and optimounts and put some evans on it. I'll be rockin soon!

Here's the poo from namm..compliments of Al Percival Pearls marketing/cs guy DELUXE!

http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/showthread.php?t=196935

Good choice bro! I'll be ordring my VBX 4pc. before too long. Rockin' the 4pc!!-HB

Archived