Alternative to 15" Paiste 2002 sound edge?

Sytubs

• Members

IIRC, Bonham used 15" giant beats, and later 602, which became 2002. In his later years, he used 2002 sound edge, mediums???

Sound edge hats are close to $400 a pair.

Any suggestion to 15" equivalents from other companies?

(Alas, Saluda has no rippled/sound edge stuff)

• Members

First of all, I'm not sure where you're buying (or planning on buying) your hats, but I've never seen them for $400. The signatures aren't even that expensive. Call a store like Midwest percussion (not online- CALL!), and inquire about those hats. Second, there are used sound edge cymbals on Ebay all the time, and with a little patience, you could score a real nice deal. I picked up a pair of mint mastersound K's for $200 shipped, but it takes patience and a bit of dilliegence. If you are determined to buy new, there are plenty of places to look that are cheaper (ever looked at Mass Music?).

• Members

First of all, I'm not sure where you're buying (or planning on buying) your hats, but I've never seen them for $400. The signatures aren't even that expensive. Call a store like Midwest percussion (not online- CALL!), and inquire about those hats. Second, there are used sound edge cymbals on Ebay all the time, and with a little patience, you could score a real nice deal. I picked up a pair of mint mastersound K's for $200 shipped, but it takes patience and a bit of dilliegence. If you are determined to buy new, there are plenty of places to look that are cheaper (ever looked at Mass Music?).

I googled them at first, IIRC at was MF. I'll check with Andy@ massmusic. I have also been looking: 2002 are b8 bronze. I don't think I even want a b20 bronze cymbal as it will get too far away from the original sound...

• Members

Just to clarify, Bonham used Giant beats until 71' when he switched to 2002's.

He never used 602's as these were B20 bronze. He used strictly B8 bronze during his entire career with LED ZEPPELIN. This is 100% true, I am absolutely positive.

Any how, there aren't many choices out there compared to Paiste B8 professional level bronze cymbals. Meinl makes several types of bronze including B8, B10, B12, and B20. I would look at some of their lines but they arent cheap either. I bought a set of 2002 15" sound edge hats on Ebay a while back for 280.00, and I did like them.

Recently, I got a great deal on a set of 15" Zildjian's that I couldn't turn down. After playing them, I ended up selling the 2002's as I liked the Z's better. The combination was an A top with an A custom Mastersound bottom. The combination sounded nearly Identical to the 2002's , just with a little more music in em.

as I said, you should probably get yourself to the nearest music store and try them out for your own ears. (I think there are other less costly hats on the market that are as good or better than the B8's. Just look around. I am leery of directing you in a direction as picking a set of Hi-Hats is kind of liking picking a woman. You dont let other people do that for you. I can only tell you my experience with the 2002's (I did like them) and then the Zildjians (I just liked them a little more).:thu:

• Members

Guitar Center is selling them for almost 450!!!
:eek:

Are they still at GC? Then they haven't sold them- they are TRYING to sell them. $450 is a ridiculous price, but I imagine there are uninformed suckers out there that will pay that amount. I for one, will not when they can be had brand new for MUCH less!

• Members

Just to clarify, Bonham used Giant beats until 71' when he switched to 2002's.

He never used 602's as these were B20 bronze. He used strictly B8 bronze during his entire career with LED ZEPPELIN. This is 100% true, I am absolutely positive.

Any how, there aren't many choices out there compared to Paiste B8 professional level bronze cymbals. Meinl makes several types of bronze including B8, B10, B12, and B20. I would look at some of their lines but they arent cheap either. I bought a set of 2002 15" sound edge hats on Ebay a while back for 280.00, and I did like them.

Recently, I got a great deal on a set of
15" Zildjian's
that I couldn't turn down. After playing them, I ended up selling the 2002's as I liked the Z's better. The combination was an
A top
with an
A custom Mastersound bottom.
The combination sounded nearly Identical to the 2002's , just with a little more music in em.

as I said, you should probably get yourself to the nearest music store and try them out for your own ears. (I think there are other less costly hats on the market that are as good or better than the B8's. Just look around. I am leery of directing you in a direction as picking a set of Hi-Hats is kind of liking picking a woman. You dont let other people do that for you. I can only tell you my experience with the 2002's (I did like them) and then the Zildjians (I just liked them a little more).
:thu:

Ok.. I was under the impression the 602's were in there somewhere.

-anyway-

I looked at zildjian a-custom mastersounds, they are in the $250 range per pair. Right now, they seem the most plausible.

• Members

Have you played these in person? I have a friend whose brother owns the Signature sound edge hats, and they have an extremely harsh and un-musical character to them. The 2002 sound edge hats may be pretty similar. I own the Signature medium hats, and I find them to be MUCH more musical and smooth sounding.

If you've played them, heard them, and want them, then you should definitely go for them (or a cheaper equivalent).

• Members

Have you played these in person? I have a friend whose brother owns the Signature sound edge hats, and they have an extremely harsh and un-musical character to them. The 2002 sound edge hats may be pretty similar. I own the Signature medium hats, and I find them to be MUCH more musical and smooth sounding.

If you've played them, heard them, and want them, then you should definitely go for them (or a cheaper equivalent).

Ok... that's kind of my impression of 2002 in general. I have been with b20 type cymbals for years, and I really avoid the clangy/harsh/1 trick when I can.

Maybe I'll have saluda make some for me, although...it would be nice to have that rippled bottom hat.

• Members

I got my 14" Signature Sound Edge hats on e-bay for just over $200. They were essentially brand new. I'm sure you can find some in that price range if you're patient.

In response to qwerty's post, I respectfully disagree that they sound un-musical. I play mostly rock/hard rock and they sound fantastic. They are very crisp and yes, they can be loud, but they can also be played quietly with proper foot and stick technique. They sure sound great on the recordings :)

• Members

I always thought Zep I was Zildjians. Wrong?

John Bonham played Paiste cymbals. He used Paiste Giant Beat cymbals until 1975. The Paiste Endorsement Agreement shows he experimented with cymbals including the 602 series before changing to a complete set of what is now the 2002 series in '75, which he used for the rest of his career. His setup:

During the time his setup consisted solely of giant beat cymbals (1968 - 1971):

* 15" Paiste Giant Beat Hi-Hat

* 18" Paiste Giant Beat Crash / Ride (On Left)

* 20" Paiste Giant Beat Crash / Ride

* 24" Paiste Giant Beat Crash / Ride

* 38" Paiste Symphonic Gong

During the time his setup was mixed between Giant Beat and 2002 cymbals (1971 - 1975):

* 15" Paiste 2002 Sound Edge Hi-Hat

* 18" Paiste Giant Beat Crash / Ride (On Left)

* 20" Paiste 2002 Medium

* 24" Paiste Giant Beat Crash / Ride

During the time his setup consisted solely of 2002 cymbals (1975 - 1980):

* 15" Paiste 2002 Sound Edge Hi-Hat

* 18" Paiste 2002 Medium (On Left)

* 18" Paiste 2002 Ride (Used as Crash)

* 20" Paiste 2002 Medium Ride (Formula 602)

* 24" Paiste 2002 Ride

* Sometimes a 16" Paiste 2002 Medium under, and to the right of his 20" (as seen in Knebworth 1979)

• Members

Have you played 15" HHXcelerators? They're B20, but have a bit of B8-ish zing. I have a pair & they (ahem) excel in loud rock-type situations. I may put 'em up for sale one of these days, since I don't really need 3 pairs of hats.

My local lame-tastic music shops don't stock it. I'd have to drive about 4 hours to try them...

But they look like a good alternative, and I'd probably like them better then 2002.

HHX X-Celerator Hats

Hot simmering tone and an

Archived