The low-down on Mapex drums?

tlester

• Members

Hi all -

I'm curious about Mapex drums.

Which models are their "Pro" lines? It looks like the Saturn and Orion are possibly their "top of the line".

What's the difference between the Saturn and Orion? The website doesn't give a lot of details, especially on the Orion.

What's the scoop with the "M's"? Are they "top of the line" too? If so, how do they differ from the Orion and Saturn?

Last.... are the Mapex good drums? I seem to recall hearing on in Forks several months ago when I was in Nashville that sounded pretty huge. I *think* it was a Mapex, but I'm having a hard time remembering.

Let me know your thoughts.

-Tom

• Members

Man, you are leaving no stone unturned for this studio kit. Deep down, I think you want to buy a DW kit. It's a safe choice. No drummer will question your choice when they come into your studio, but they might say Mapex? And then you have to spend some of your valuable time explaining to them the rationale for your decision and for God's sake, with some drummers that could take hours!

• Members

Just get the Gretsch :D

Actually, just get whatever you want. Don't listen to people who judge drums by the brand name. Just play, then listen. Whatever sounds best you should take home with you no matter the price (unless it's 999,999,999 dollars). You will probably find a set that sounds just as good as the DW's, if not better.

• Members

Mapex is great.

Saturn is considered their top-line drums, Orion are their "Fancy" top line.

Pro-M are great too, as is the M-Birch.

I play out with an M-Birch. My Saturn is "teh sex" though...still "building" that kit (still need to get "my" throne, and a Tama IC double)

Some would disagree, but DW is well overpriced for what you get - Mapex delivers the same level of quality at a better price...

• Members

Man, you are leaving no stone unturned for this studio kit. Deep down, I think you want to buy a DW kit. It's a safe choice. No drummer will question your choice when they come into your studio, but they might say Mapex? And then you have to spend some of your valuable time explaining to them the rationale for your decision and for God's sake, with some drummers that could take hours!

A real drummer would bring his own if the studio kit wasn't "up to his standards" - DW is a name...

For a studio kit, hardware should be ratchet. It'll get moved a lot by other drummers.

With that in mind - it depends if it's a "personal studio" or a "make money recording other people studio" - if it's personal, get a Mapex Saturn, Tama Star Classic, Pearl Masterworks, etc, if not, go with something cheap with good hardware - Tama Superstar, Pearl Export....

Get the tone out of the drum with the heads and good mic'ing - you can make a pawn shop special sound better than any "big name brand"

• Members

Mapex is great.

Saturn is considered their top-line drums, Orion are their "Fancy" top line.

Pro-M are great too, as is the M-Birch.

I play out with an M-Birch. My Saturn is "teh sex" though...still "building" that kit (still need to get "my" throne, and a Tama IC double)

Some would disagree, but DW is well overpriced for what you get - Mapex delivers the same level of quality at a better price...

+1:thu:

• Members

Just get the Gretsch
:D

Actually, just get whatever you want. Don't listen to people who judge drums by the brand name. Just play, then listen. Whatever sounds best you should take home with you no matter the price (unless it's 999,999,999 dollars). You will probably find a set that sounds just as good as the DW's, if not better.

I should have said I have played both and I stick by what I said....DW's will be better in a studio setting.

• Members

It's record other people (paying people)... and not always (in fact rarely) my studio. I freelance. So, I'm everywhere. And contrary to the comment above, not all "good" (session) drummers use their own kit. Some drummers do have good recording kits w/ good choices... most don't. I usually end up renting a kit, with a hand full of kicks and a hand full of snares. I have some kits at rental companies that are kind of my "go to" kits.

This quest is to find something versatile enough to use in situations instead of renting. Then, I'll start collecting snares.

-Tom

PS. Yeah... I over research everything. It's a curse. I can become paralyzed with choices!

• Members

When I was contemplating buying a new gig kit I took a hard look at the Pro M's. I didn't want to spend the cash for Saturns/Orions for a gig kit I knew would be abused, regardless of how much I tried to protect them.

Pro M's and Tama Starclassic Performers were frontrunners. I've played Tama's almost exclusively my whole drumming career so it would require a quality kit to get me to switch. The plus side to the Pro M's was that it came with new HW where the Tama's didn't. I was *this close* to pulling the trigger on the Mapex when I found a used set of Performers nearby for a steal.

When the time comes to buy a new kit (primarily for recording) I will again look hard at the Mapex Saturn/Orion lines available then. Of course I'll look hard at the Tama Bubinga's too :thu:

• Members

Local shop here has begun carrying Mapex drum within this past year. I know they were based out of Nashville and one of the guys from I think one the guys from Noble and Coley or OCPD?? started the company.

I played the Saturn kit and a little on the Pro M and VX. ALL the kits were very good with the Saturn really standing out. THe Q Series would be like the Yamaha Rydeens with actually a little better mounts and hardware, THe V series being a step better, The M series being being close to the Stage Customs with the Pro Ms being closer to the Tour Customs. The Saturn is close to the Recording Customs but is made with Maple/Walnut. The Orion series is avalible in almost any sizes you want 100% Maple. It is the kit you can custom build to your tastes. You can decide from a 12x7 tom to a 12x10 tom, from a 14x11 floor tom to a 18x16 floor tom or choose hanging tom sizes, A 18x14 to 24x20 Bass as well. I guess would be close to Abosulte series by Yamaha

Orion-7ply(6Maple interior/1 Burl maple exterior) thickness 6.1mm toms.snares/7.5mm on bass. Dozens of tom/floor tom/bass drums sizes to order. Non penetrating tom mounts that can be removed from bass. Top of the line pedals/hardware. Is advertised as the set you can make to order to fit the "dream" set you have in your mind.

Saturn-6ply(4 maple exterior/2walnut interior) thickness: 5.1mm/7.2mm Bass drum tom mount is removable and no holes in shells for tom mounts even for bass spurs, more sizes options than Pro M, Matching snare and all mounts and hardware is pro level, has Sparkle finishes

ProM-7ply(all Maple) Thickness: 5.8mm/7.2mm better quality finshes and lacquers, comes with Remo heads, comes with Black Panther snare and better hardware

MBirch-6ply (5birch/1 exterior maple ply) Thickness: 7.2mm, fade finishes, better hardware, free add a tom, more sizes avalible.

VX-8ply basswood, Thickness: 7.2mm Lacquer finishes, low mass lugs, Wood bass hoops.

Qr-8ply Basswood, Thickness: 7.2mm More sizes and better wraps than reg.Q, isolation mounts.

Q-9ply basswood, Thickness 7.2mm Starter set (like Rydeen and Accent)

2007 catalog shows Greg Bisonette/ Will Calhoun/ Liberty Devito and Mike Novak as a few of the endorsors.

• Members

It's record other people (paying people)... and not always (in fact rarely) my studio. I freelance. So, I'm everywhere. And contrary to the comment above, not all "good" (session) drummers use their own kit. Some drummers do have good recording kits w/ good choices... most don't. I usually end up renting a kit, with a hand full of kicks and a hand full of snares. I have some kits at rental companies that are kind of my "go to" kits.

This quest is to find something versatile enough to use in situations instead of renting. Then, I'll start collecting snares.

-Tom

PS. Yeah... I over research everything. It's a curse. I can become paralyzed with choices!

I don't know your situation, but Ross Garfield/Drum Doctors have almost any drum or drum set that you might want, they deliver it and tune it. You just worry about engineering.

• Members

I picked up a m-birch in January and I'm loving it. I bought it based on price and really didn't read one bad review about it. The finish is flawless. Bearing edges were perfect. The hardware doesn't look as robust as others but it does the job well. There's also memory locks on everything.

I was used to playing and recording with a 70's ludwig that's either maple of african magahony, not sure. The mapex has a different sound, but I can't say that is worse than the Ludwig, just different. The Mapex snare doesn't sound as good as the superphonic that was with the Ludwig kit. But, I've hit both side by side and the non drummers can't tell much of a difference in sound. As a drummer, I prefer the superphonic.

So far I've played out once unmiced and thought they sounded great. Recorded and mixed, they sound like any other kit on most rock recordings.

Still using stock heads. Once I wear them out I'm going with coated ambassadors or clear emperors.

• Members

I picked up a m-birch in January and I'm loving it. I bought it based on price and really didn't read one bad review about it. The finish is flawless. Bearing edges were perfect. The hardware doesn't look as robust as others but it does the job well. There's also memory locks on everything.

I was used to playing and recording with a 70's ludwig that's either maple of african magahony, not sure. The mapex has a different sound, but I can't say that is worse than the Ludwig, just different. The Mapex snare doesn't sound as good as the superphonic that was with the Ludwig kit. But, I've hit both side by side and the non drummers can't tell much of a difference in sound. As a drummer, I prefer the superphonic.

So far I've played out once unmiced and thought they sounded great. Recorded and mixed, they sound like any other kit on most rock recordings.

Still using stock heads. Once I wear them out I'm going with coated ambassadors or clear emperors.

Get some good heads on it and judge again! The stock heads on the M-Birch aren't all that great, IMO.

As for the snare, a douchebag had to borrow my snare to do their set, so I got to hear it from the audience. Sounded FANTASTIC!

He had the nerve to say it was out of tune. No, it's not...

• Members

I don't know your situation, but Ross Garfield/Drum Doctors have almost any drum or drum set that you might want, they deliver it and tune it. You just worry about engineering.

I haven't used Drum Doctors, because I usually work in NYC or Nashville. However, that's what I usually do. The tech comes with the cartage company, sets them up, tunes them, and even helps me get sounds so that when the band or drummer arrives.... all they have to do is play. Which keeps them from getting board.

HOWEVER.... I know that most of you guys live on the other side of the glass from me, but record budgets are shrinking. And for guys like me that make my living recording, the more you can do... the more gigs you get. I'm also doing a lot of "all in" producing these days. That means all inclusive. So, I'll get say, $50,000 to produce a record. That's inclusive. I have to manage the budget from there. I.e. I have to pay for the room, arrangers, musicians, rentals, etc... So, if I can keep any of that cost down, it give me more change at the end of the day.

I'm planning a very nice semi-private room in Nashville that I hope to open in the next 12-18 months. Again, that's one thing I won't have to pay for on the "all in's".

Just so you know, too.... I've been collecting guitars, basses, and amps as well. Soon, I should have very little I have to go outside for.

-Tom

• Members

Mapex caught me eye just a few years ago.

The pro-M are indeed fine intermediate/pro drums. I know plenty of folks that gig with them. They compete with anything in this range birch, or maple.

The Saturn, are the industy's best kept secret. The walnut/maple shells are thin, and the denser (not harder) walnut wood gives the shells a notch lower fundamental than an all-maple counterpart. These are unquestionably, pro-level drums. They are warmer than most drums, perhaps the only weakness some can perceieve (if you call it that) is slightly less bite/brightness/projection than an all-birch or all maple drum. The minute amount they lack in that area, are made up for with glorious midrange and lows. The finishes are dazzling, but I'd like to see some kind of natural stain, like walnut over maple for example. These drums are my favorite mapex regardless of price.

The Orions are extremely well built high end all rock maple shells. They sport a beautiful burl outer ply. They are not quite as warm as saturns, but they project a bit better. They are more affordable than a lot of high end drums, often going on sale.

Were I to buy a commercial kit right now, (assuming 100% walnut was not available for me) The Saturns would be my choice. For gigging out, the pro-M any day, but I'd get a wrap.

• Members

I haven't used Drum Doctors, because I usually work in NYC or Nashville. However, that's what I usually do. The tech comes with the cartage company, sets them up, tunes them, and even helps me get sounds so that when the band or drummer arrives.... all they have to do is play. Which keeps them from getting board.

HOWEVER.... I know that most of you guys live on the other side of the glass from me, but record budgets are shrinking. And for guys like me that make my living recording, the more you can do... the more gigs you get. I'm also doing a lot of "all in" producing these days. That means all inclusive. So, I'll get say, $50,000 to produce a record. That's inclusive. I have to manage the budget from there. I.e. I have to pay for the room, arrangers, musicians, rentals, etc... So, if I can keep any of that cost down, it give me more change at the end of the day.

I'm planning a very nice semi-private room in Nashville that I hope to open in the next 12-18 months. Again, that's one thing I won't have to pay for on the "all in's".

Just so you know, too.... I've been collecting guitars, basses, and amps as well. Soon, I should have very little I have to go outside for.

-Tom

Wow, so you have to haul in all the band gear to help keep costs down. Lift with legs, not your back!

• Members

Mapex caught me eye just a few years ago.

The pro-M are indeed fine intermediate/pro drums. I know plenty of folks that gig with them. They compete with anything in this range birch, or maple.

The Saturn, are the industy's best kept secret. The walnut/maple shells are thin, and the denser (not harder) walnut wood gives the shells a notch lower fundamental than an all-maple counterpart. These are unquestionably, pro-level drums. They are warmer than most drums, perhaps the only weakness some can perceieve (if you call it that) is slightly less bite/brightness/projection than an all-birch or all maple drum. The minute amount they lack in that area, are made up for with glorious midrange and lows. The finishes are dazzling, but I'd like to see some kind of natural stain, like walnut over maple for example. These drums are my favorite mapex regardless of price.

The Orions are extremely well built high end all rock maple shells. They sport a beautiful burl outer ply. They are not quite as warm as saturns, but they project a bit better. They are more affordable than a lot of high end drums, often going on sale.

Were I to buy a commercial kit right now, (assuming 100% walnut was not available for me) The Saturns would be my choice. For gigging out, the pro-M any day, but I'd get a wrap.

Mapex (and Saturns in particular) are WAY under the radar for a lot of players - I don't get it - they are phenominal.

The only "knock" people have is they are made in China. You'd never know it playing them, looking at them from inches away, or hearing them...

I'd rather they be from Japan or the USA, even Canada - but, they aren't, and when I'm sitting behind the kit, smiling from ear to ear, I don't think about where I got them from...

Besides that, Mapex's customer service is AMAZING.

You can actually pick up the phone, and call them, and TALK to someone who is an American, working in America, and they will go out of their way to make "it" right.

My M-Birch came with a broken BD hoop. They shipped one out and I had it 3 days later. I stripped one of the T-nuts for the ball/socket hardware - shipped me a new tom holder mount - ball and everything...

I have zero complaints, and a lot of awe for what I got for what I paid.

• Members

RE made in China:

Taiwan has long been an industrial and technological powerhouse. They have precision factories to make all types of drum parts.

Hardware: Except for trick and axis, almost all other pedals are made there, including DW's. Stands, tom holders: you'd be amazed at all the stuff that rolls off the same line as Tama. Except for Sonor/Trick/Axis: most of it's made there. Worldmax, Gibraltar, etc.

Shells: Sure, low end stuff can be at times questionable. But intermediate and pro kits? They seem to have QC on par with anything made elsewhere.

I don't care where a kit is made: it can have defects. Just check the product out. All factories have those friday afternoon/Monday morning models that have flaws.

But put a Saturn or Orion kit under a microscope, and you'll find they stand up to mainland Japan, USA or German made products. In fact, you'll find that QC experts and designers are American, Japanese or Germans that subcontract (outsource) but have tight tabs on production QC. Would it bother anyone if the Sonor force 3007 came from the same factory as Sunlite drums? It shouldn't if true, because the 3007 are flawlessly built in China.

The caveat is, that the other countries have had established products and more time to practice and develop. But don't look down the nose at China now. There is more evidence now than ever that they make great stuff. Sometimes the only separator is that they may use a softer Asian wood on some brands/models.

I would prefer to buy American when I can, to keep the most money possible at home.

• Members

RE made in China:

Taiwan has long been an industrial and technological powerhouse. They have precision factories to make all types of drum parts.

Hardware: Except for trick and axis, almost all other pedals are made there, including DW's. Stands, tom holders: you'd be amazed at all the stuff that rolls off the same line as Tama. Except for Sonor/Trick/Axis: most of it's made there. Worldmax, Gibraltar, etc.

Shells: Sure, low end stuff can be at times questionable. But intermediate and pro kits? They seem to have QC on par with anything made elsewhere.

I don't care where a kit is made: it can have defects. Just check the product out. All factories have those friday afternoon/Monday morning models that have flaws.

But put a Saturn or Orion kit under a microscope, and you'll find they stand up to mainland Japan, USA or German made products. In fact, you'll find that QC experts and designers are American, Japanese or Germans that subcontract (outsource) but have tight tabs on production QC. Would it bother anyone if the Sonor force 3007 came from the same factory as Sunlite drums? It shouldn't if true, because the 3007 are flawlessly built in China.

The caveat is, that the other countries have had established products and more time to practice and develop. But don't look down the nose at China now. There is more evidence now than ever that they make great stuff. Sometimes the only separator is that they may use a softer Asian wood on some brands/models.

I would prefer to buy American when I can, to keep the most money possible at home.

Sonar and Mapex are in the same factory. :D

Archived