ok im recording my demos...whats next?

guitar420

• Members

ok so say i have some new songs (about 3 or 4) that ive been working on that i think are kick ass. I am currently finishing recording them on a zoom daw with single mic, playing all instruments myself. As i said im using a single cheap mic even for drums so the quality isnt what ud hear on a cd from a studio but i think its really good for wat im using. Im still looking for band members so i can rehearse the songs and start getting gigs. but say i finish the songs, should i promote my stuff before i get a band together? such as putting mp3s up on the web? im a little nervous about putting my music on the web just because i dont know how much control id have or if i could get ripped off in some way i dunno......i also though about sending my songs to the few record labels that say they take unsolicited stuff.

im really stoked about my new songs but im not too sure whats the next step. any suggestions? thanks

• Members

woops...ok just noticed after posting theres a very similar thread already, still i wouldnt mind any suggestions......

also, say i send my demo to a record label, is there a risk of getting my songs ripped off? cause its not like theyre copyrighted or theres an established band playing these songs....

• Members

Odds are if you send your demo to a record label the songs won't be ripped off, because the CD would be tossed in the bin before even being opened.

If you plan on promoting the material, I guess you'd have to ask yourself just what exactly are you promoting? Are you promoting a band, or just yourself? Where would you promote the material? Solo bar gigs? Songwriting contests?

I know the feeling of nailing some material and being so excited you just want everyone to hear it. You really do need to work out a plan, though.

• Members

Originally posted by zookie

Odds are if you send your demo to a record label the songs won't be ripped off, because the CD would be tossed in the bin before even being opened.

If you plan on promoting the material, I guess you'd have to ask yourself just what exactly are you promoting? Are you promoting a band, or just yourself? Where would you promote the material? Solo bar gigs? Songwriting contests?

I know the feeling of nailing some material and being so excited you just want everyone to hear it. You really do need to work out a plan, though.

hmm well i guess i would promote it like it is a band, being really vague about the members haha. your right though i do need a plan and getting a band together is obviously most important. im still considering sending the demos out because i have heard stories of people getting deals that way. thanks for your post.

• Members

I'm basically in the same position you are. The previous band I was in was pretty popular, but we starting growing apart so we broke up. I'm now making my own demos (where I write and record everything myself). I got it to where it's sounding really good. I plan on copyrighting it all soon, and if you're worried about people stealing your songs, I suggest you do the same. It's a pretty simple process...fill out the form, pay the small fee, and send it in. I chose some labels I plan on sending my demo to, even though I'm not in the band. Sometimes (depending on the label) they'll set a band up for you, or they may know of a band that could use someone like you, especially if you're a strong songwriter and happen to know how to play more than one instrument. In my case, I know of a band (that I used to be in) that is capable of playing my material, so I will make sure that the label knows that. I say make it known to them that you wrote and played everything on that demo, and if they feel that you are strong in what you do and they can make money off you, then they will contact you. Not all the time will that happen, but it doesn't hurt to try.

With the label thing aside, in my opinion, I think it'd be a good idea to spread that demo around your area. People or bands that get a hold of it might stop and think "wow, this guy is pretty talented...we could sure use him in our band." Make it known that you're looking for band members, and that the demo is just a sample of what you have to offer. That might get people to flock your way.

• Members

Originally posted by guitar420

im a little nervous about putting my music on the web just because i dont know how much control id have or if i could get ripped off in some way

Even worse would be that your music is never heard and that is exactly what will happen if you don't put it out there.

• Members

Just DO IT!!:D I was the one who did the other post on this. We will not even be going in to the studio till Jan or so to record but we are taking care of the other aspects of work. We just got booked every Wed at a local Sports Bar & will start another one every Thu so there is a demand for people to hear us. No better way to get fine tuned than GIGGING. We're working on the original material etc. IF your material is good & your'e doing it all don't worry about a band. IF the label thinks they can make money off of you they will take care of it. One way labels do it is they will use studio musicians in the studio then hire you a band when you go on the road. Whe I went on the road last year that was deal. We had to learn the stuff note for note PERFECT. It gave me my first taste of being on the road & I loved it.

Keep it up man you seem to be doing fine. Will you be selling you demo in addition to submitting it? We have been getting requests for that. I figure you could always sell a 3 song demo for like $5 & at least try to recoup the price of recording it. Heck, if you actually SELL several thousand copies someone WILL notice that.

• Members

Originally posted by SpiderFingers

Just DO IT!!
:D
I was the one who did the other post on this. We will not even be going in to the studio till Jan or so to record but we are taking care of the other aspects of work. We just got booked every Wed at a local Sports Bar & will start another one every Thu so there is a demand for people to hear us. No better way to get fine tuned than GIGGING. We're working on the original material etc. IF your material is good & your'e doing it all don't worry about a band. IF the label thinks they can make money off of you they will take care of it. One way labels do it is they will use studio musicians in the studio then hire you a band when you go on the road. Whe I went on the road last year that was deal. We had to learn the stuff note for note PERFECT. It gave me my first taste of being on the road & I loved it.

Keep it up man you seem to be doing fine. Will you be selling you demo in addition to submitting it? We have been getting requests for that. I figure you could always sell a 3 song demo for like $5 & at least try to recoup the price of recording it. Heck, if you actually SELL several thousand copies someone WILL notice that.

awsome post man. thanks for the support

• Members

Burn a bunch of copies at home and give them away at shows. Not just your shows, but shows you go to where the bands sound like you. It's a good way to get some fans before you even play a gig.

Ken

• Members

Before you get your stuff out there copyright it. It is cheap and worth the effort.

As for the solo recording and getting a band later go for it. I just did it. I have been having great sucess with my last 2 CD's and I have decided to get a band together to promote them. I had no problem getting a band together due to the fact that they liked my music. For the record I had a good amount of player to chose from. Your demo could be a good tool for showing your talent to other potential band members.

FInaly do not send a rough cut demo to a lable, If you want a record deal you will need to use a high quality recording, otherwise you will look unprofessional.

Good luck and go for it.

Archived