Allow myself to introduce... myself!

silent knight

• Members

Whoa, 2 pages!

For starters, the title is from Austin Powers. I had thought of saying "please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste", but well, I'm really not, and I kept repeating the Austin Powers thing to myself and cracking up.

The Ludwig kit came with some Premier snare drum that was in bad shape. I think I gave that to someone too. Parts I need include rims, lugs, and tension rods mostly. Also, I think one of the toms is out of round, so I'm not really sure how that'll work out if I do anything to it.

The few years thing was definitely an "in between bands" period of my life and I was busy with work, grad school, etc. I had gotten into a conversation with a former bandmate and we were talking about music and he said to me, "Do you even tell people you're a drummer anymore? When was the last time you played? He was the bassist in the band and was facing a similar dilemma." That band broke up in 2002, I had reformed an old band in early '03, but I ended up not lasting in the band because of some bad tendinitis (sp?) and other things going wrong, like during practice, my left hand would close involuntarily and I'd have to pry it open with my right hand (not really fun, if you ask me). I ended up seeing a doctor who said it was a form of repetitive stress injury and suggested I stop playing drums. Conveniently as I wasn't in a band and was in grad school, it seemed like a good time to just focus on other things.

In the summer of 2005, I had just finished with grad school and one of the guys who's in my band was having a party at his house and said he was going to have live music. The other guy in my band was bringing his drums, so all I really had to do was just show up. I thought, cool, you know, I hadn't jammed in a while, and it'd be cool as there'd be a revolving door of musicians throughout the night. Anyway, at some point, the three of us were playing together, and we clicked. Of course, it took us almost another year before we started playing regularly together. But, it's all coming together, so I'm happy.

Still looking for that drawing... if I can't find it, I may just redo it

The rack toms are 10", 12", 13". The floor tom is 16" and the bass drum is 22". My snare drum is a 5.5" x 14" Tama Artwood Maple snare drum.

Cymbals I use are: 14" Zildjian A Custom Mastersound Hi-hats, 16" Zildjian Rock Crash, 18" Zildjian A Custom Projection Crash, 8" UFIP Splash, 19" Zildjian A Custom Projection Crash, 21" Zildjian Rock Ride, 17" Zildjian Rock Crash, 16" Zildjian Oriental China Trash

Now, you may be saying to yourself, "dude, you obviously love Zildjian now, so why the UFIP splash?". It's simple... I hit it in a store, loved how it sounded, and bought it right then and there. It's so bright and I love it.

• Members

Sorry it took awhile for me to get back with you! Sounds like a cool ass set! I use the same size drums except I also have an 8" tom

I notice you have a 19" and 17" cymbals. I have thought of adding something in one of those two sizes to fit at the end of my floor tom. I used to have an 18" crash before but I thought a 17" or 19" might have the best of both worlds.

I've just been thinking of some kind of full crash with a warm tone that decays quickly but still sounds "full". Is an odd sized cymbal good in that area? Thanks for any help!

• Members

To be honest, I got the 19" because I wanted a crash cymbal there, but my ride and the crash cymbal stand kept getting in the way of one another, so I figured that a 19" cymbal would let me have the cymbal stand a little further away, since the cymbal was so big. I really like the 18" crash, but the 19" has just a little more oomph to it. I feel the A Custom Projection Crashes really cut through distorted guitars and bass-heavy mixes.

Sympathy For The Devil is the greatest song ever written about Satan

Archived