I hate my Roc-N-Soc throne!

MattACaster

• Members

So I go to play drums last night and realize that I brought my throne upstairs the night before. Well, instead of walking 30 feet to go grab it, I just used my $40 Tama throne I originally bought with my drumset. As soon as I started playing, everything became easier. No more balance problems! Everything just kind of clicked!

I never thought a throne could make that much of a difference. :freak:

• Members

I've been using a Pearl throne for 11 years now. Still works great.

I've been looking at different thrones, something that maybe isn't so much of a motorcycle seat. I'm thinking about the Tama Ergo-Rider because it would allow me to move a little easier but not slide around.

• Members

+1 on the Pork Pie. I love mine.

I've tried the Roc-n-socs in stores and I don't like them at all. The bounce in them is totally not what I'm looking for. I move around enough...no need for the seat to move too.

I think that might be why I don't like it. That and the swiveling.

• Members

I hate mine, its a gibraltar motorcycle seat. Its hard as a rock and I think if I use it much longer I'm gonna need a bucket of preparation H.

Any throne would be better than this one. I've had it 3 years now and its still hard. Hasn't softened up one bit and I'm 230 pounds, and I play almost daily for a couple of hours. Go figure. Must have cement mix for padding

• Members

I have the complete opposite results of you. Recently I shared another drummers kit at a joint gig and used his tama throne. I felt so out of place sitting on it and uncomfortable. I love my Roc n Soc nitro!

• Members

I think if I use it much longer I'm gonna need a bucket of preparation H...I've had it 3 years now and its still hard. Hasn't softened up one bit..and I play almost daily for a couple of hours. Go figure.

The only way that comment could have gotten any better for my Beavis & Butthead mind is if it said "play WITH IT" instead of just play. Sorry...back on topic you go.

• Members

I never bought into the whole "a throne is INCREDIBLY important" thing until I broke my old Pearl throne of almost 7 years. The tripod just gave out, and I said (because of this forum, no less) "what the heck, let's make an investment." I bought a Tama First Chair Ergo-Rider throne, and my ass has never been happier. :thu:

When you don't have to worry about your seat at all, your balance, etc... you can actually focus on drumming. I will never, ever go back to a simple throne again. It may have been $120, but it was worth every penny!

• Members

What happened to yours?

I figured those things were bullet proof.

Apparently, at a gig, a little metal clip came off the bottom. Mine's a Lunar Nitro with the gas lift. Anyway, the metal piston that controls the height has nothing to push onto at the bottom, so instead of lifting my ass up, it goes down to the floor and lifts the whole chair up... legs and all. So basically, it's 100% unstable, as it's resting on a single center piece of metal and not any of its five legs (or at the most, two of them).

I also took it out of the back of the car before a gig and the leather edging had split open, exposing the foam. Not even along the stitch, it just... busted open. Maybe from the heat? I don't know, I've never had leather explode from heat. Either way, I had to use some electrical tape to "patch" it.

So now I've got a $150 Lunar Nitro with the $40 or whatever backrest attached to it, and the $30 Buttkicker mount on the bottom of it, and it's sitting there collecting dust while I use a $20 Pulse every night.

• Members

I have 2 Roc-N-Soc thrones, one Nitro one not both with backs, I love them. The main thing is that you are comfortable. If you butt and back hurt you will not play well. So whatever works for you is what it is all about.

• Members

PDP throne here, has a nice shape to it and it has never made my ass sore... no remarks needed on that one you guys :p

419203.jpg

My only issue is it has a tendency to loosen around the top and slowly spiral down, thus making it harder to double bass.

• Members

Is there any way to stop the swivel on the Roc.n.soc? I just realized maybe THAT is my problem.

Thank you SO much for bringing this up -- I never would have thought it was my THRONE!! But definitely I'm always all twisted up when I switch to do a little double bass pedal stuff -- I thought it was just me and maybe I wasn't strong enough to keep myself balanced with all four limbs moving.

• Members

I have the 1st generation of the Tama's 1st chair, the one with the back rest. I've had it for I think 10 years, and the only complaint I have is when other people sit on it, and think the back rest is there to lean back on like a recliner.

It's funny that the thrones that swivle are causing people trouble. I can see why it would be problematic, but I think it's strange that people didn't think of it. I guess it's just my Biomechanics degree paying off for me. I have my throne set up so my weight is on the throne, and not on my legs so I can move them on my various pedals and not get off balance.

Archived