Sign in to follow this  
devinw

Chad Sexton snare tone?

As many of you may know, the snare sounds on pretty much every 311 album are VERY high pitch and crack like a mad SOB. I always figured Chad was using a 13" or 12" snare for his work, but I was digging around on the 311 website (www.311.com) and it only mentions him ever using a 14"x5.5 or 14"x6 snare. I just can't imagine how he gets it to sound like that. Is the head just cranked WAAAY down? or is there something else I'm missing here? :confused: Any info would be appreciated! :thu:

Yeah, Chad's snare is a killer sound. Those OCDPs are very bright and cut like a knife! Crank the heck out of it and you've got something that's come original. :D

I'd actually think an Acrolite 5x14 wouldn't be far off for that sound. It's a very articulate sound, not quite as powerful as it's kind of choked, but in a good way. The aluminum shell would give you a nice dry sound with some crack, not too ringy, especially if it's tuned up so high.

Well, seeing as how I already have one of those, I suppose I should try playing with that :).

im gonna assume its a maple shell, but thats because I know most, if not all, OCDP snares are. Besides the obvious acrylic.

But hey, im just going by what I have. I know mine has that really tight crisp attack. Definitely comes from it being vented maple.

14 would be sweet, but i love my 13

Yeah. From what I can tell and have read, he has several maple snares in his set up. But cranking the snot out of it and having vents makes that sound.

chad_set_from_back.jpg

that green and white setup is beautiful!

pink, you should see a new pic of my kit. I took everything apart and cleaned it all up. The purple and orange are practically glowing now!

Oh yea, and replacing the bottom head did WONDERS on my OCDP snare. I couldnt get rid of this annoying ring, until I put 2 and 2 together and replaced that head.

Sweet. Thanks for the input guys. :thu: I'm gonna try playing around with my Acro and see if i can get any results out of it.

This may be slightly off topic, but I don't know what it is about this guy, but I can't get into his drumming at all... I do like his snare sound, however.

I can see how you might feel that way. He is hit-or-miss for me, but 311 has a lot of really good songs (due to song writing and guitar/bass work rather than drumming).

I do think Chad can play very well though and can groove sometimes, but he's a little bit robotic sometimes. If I recall, he has a lot of drum core backround and not really any jazz so his playing is pretty quantised.

Either way, I do like his snare sound for certain applications. I am a sucker for a super-snappy high pitch snare drum. :)

that green and white setup is beautiful!

pink, you should see a new pic of my kit. I took everything apart and cleaned it all up. The purple and orange are practically glowing now!

Oh yea, and replacing the bottom head did WONDERS on my OCDP snare. I couldnt get rid of this annoying ring, until I put 2 and 2 together and replaced that head.

Hey Paul!

Post a pic somewhere or email me a pic! I'd love to see it!

Oh, and on the thread topic...

I have an Orange County vented snare. Its 6x14 and 15ply maple. I just tried cranking it and I can almost get the 311 sound. Its freaking sweet!!

Oh, and on the thread topic...

I have an Orange County vented snare. Its 6x14 and 15ply maple. I just tried cranking it and I can almost get the 311 sound. Its freaking sweet!!

Just the batter? Or did you crank the {censored}e out of the snare head too?

I was playing with my Acrolite last night. I removed the internal felt damper and put a Aquarian texture coated single ply on the batter side. I tuned the snare head to a G at 432 Hz and then cranked the batter pretty tight (90 territory on the drum dial). It sounds pretty sweet, but I need to play with it some more. It's definitely snappy though. Very bright.

nice!

take advice for what it is though, the OC snares are going to sound a lot different. I crank the top head and leave the lower a little looser. Key word, little.

I would say to just crank the {censored} out of both and go from there.

Just the batter? Or did you crank the {censored}e out of the snare head too?

I have the snare head pretty tight. But not as tight as it could be. But the batter is cranked!!

Yeah. From what I can tell and have read, he has several maple snares in his set up. But cranking the snot out of it and having vents makes that sound.

chad_set_from_back.jpg

Looks like frog {censored}.

But a no name piccolo and crank it with a Powerstroke. Done.

Its not about cranking your drum, it's about where you hit the snare. He hits it in a certain spot (not the middle). He plays somewhat loose. He just hits it in the right Chad Sexton signature spot:lol:

man, if you have that many drums, wouldn't it make sense to have two drummers? All that gear could be put to more use.