Chad Sexton snare tone?

devinw

• Members

As many of you may know, the snare sounds on pretty much every 311 album are VERY high pitch and crack like a mad SOB. I always figured Chad was using a 13" or 12" snare for his work, but I was digging around on the 311 website (www.311.com) and it only mentions him ever using a 14"x5.5 or 14"x6 snare. I just can't imagine how he gets it to sound like that. Is the head just cranked WAAAY down? or is there something else I'm missing here? :confused: Any info would be appreciated! :thu:

• Members

I'd actually think an Acrolite 5x14 wouldn't be far off for that sound. It's a very articulate sound, not quite as powerful as it's kind of choked, but in a good way. The aluminum shell would give you a nice dry sound with some crack, not too ringy, especially if it's tuned up so high.

• Members

im gonna assume its a maple shell, but thats because I know most, if not all, OCDP snares are. Besides the obvious acrylic.

But hey, im just going by what I have. I know mine has that really tight crisp attack. Definitely comes from it being vented maple.

14 would be sweet, but i love my 13

• Members

that green and white setup is beautiful!

pink, you should see a new pic of my kit. I took everything apart and cleaned it all up. The purple and orange are practically glowing now!

Oh yea, and replacing the bottom head did WONDERS on my OCDP snare. I couldnt get rid of this annoying ring, until I put 2 and 2 together and replaced that head.

• Members

I can see how you might feel that way. He is hit-or-miss for me, but 311 has a lot of really good songs (due to song writing and guitar/bass work rather than drumming).

I do think Chad can play very well though and can groove sometimes, but he's a little bit robotic sometimes. If I recall, he has a lot of drum core backround and not really any jazz so his playing is pretty quantised.

Either way, I do like his snare sound for certain applications. I am a sucker for a super-snappy high pitch snare drum. :)

• Members

that green and white setup is beautiful!

pink, you should see a new pic of my kit. I took everything apart and cleaned it all up. The purple and orange are practically glowing now!

Oh yea, and replacing the bottom head did WONDERS on my OCDP snare. I couldnt get rid of this annoying ring, until I put 2 and 2 together and replaced that head.

Hey Paul!

Post a pic somewhere or email me a pic! I'd love to see it!

• Members

Oh, and on the thread topic...

I have an Orange County vented snare. Its 6x14 and 15ply maple. I just tried cranking it and I can almost get the 311 sound. Its freaking sweet!!

Just the batter? Or did you crank the {censored}e out of the snare head too?

• Members

I was playing with my Acrolite last night. I removed the internal felt damper and put a Aquarian texture coated single ply on the batter side. I tuned the snare head to a G at 432 Hz and then cranked the batter pretty tight (90 territory on the drum dial). It sounds pretty sweet, but I need to play with it some more. It's definitely snappy though. Very bright.

• 2 years later...

Archived