OT: Scooters or small MC? Help?

twosticks

• Members

Howdy all,

I have some questions for any riders or really anybody. My wife is thinking of getting a decent size scooter or a SMALL motorcycle. Something she could use for her other job or running errands that wouldn't be a bitch on gas. Going to the bank, post office, meet with other people etc. and at times having to take the highway or interstate for 45 mins. to Gainesville, FL.

Also she is 5'4" approx. 150lbs and likes the scooters because she can sit on them and handle them better. But she's not against a smaller Motorcycle as well. She likes motorcycles but the few she's sat on she feels are "too heavy" for her.

We had about 30 mins today to check out a place here.

THey only had about two scooters today, one was a used 2005 version (was a version of a scooter CLOSE to this one). It had an extra helmet case in back and decent storage under the seat, 32,000 miles and I think they wanted $4,500?? said they just got it in today. They said the new ones were like $6,200???

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelimagelib/415/1/1/1/image.aspx

My wife also sat on some models close to this Yamaha motorcycle. She also sat on the Honda one that is close to it. She said it felt kinda too heavy for her.

http://www.starmotorcycles.com/star/products/modelhome/589/0/home.aspx

ANy thoughts or comments?? ANY and ALL would be much apperciated!!

DO the scooters last and have a lot of upkeep? Is it better to get to a small but heavier MC?? I guess would like to spend no more than $5,000 and something that had enough power for hwy speeds, passenger and enough storage for a notebook, folders and papers. Again thanks for any input!!! :)

• Members

for highway speeds I'd go with a motorcycle. I own a 50cc scooter which is sweet because I don't pay insurance and get around 90 miles a gallon. You would have to insure anything above 50cc so I think the motorcycle would be the best value. Unless she didn't want to get a motorcycle license, scooters are a lot of fun.

• Members

Thanks dude, she has already checked out about the licence and is ready to take the course. The scooter we looked at could do about 70-85?? The guy said is got about 100 miles a gallon! I thought that was kinda high but 90 is pretty damn close! Thank you sir for the input!!

• Members

damn, 85 on a scooter sounds dangerously fun. Best of luck on your purchase.

I'm not sure on that but I remember the salesman telling my wife "yeah, you could get on the interstate and be fine with the speed and have all the proper lights.." Also found this in the features tab......

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelfeatures/415/1/features.aspx

• Members

Yeah a 400 cc scooter should do okay even on the Highway....thats a pretty big scooter. I don't have a ton of experience but scooters do feel a bit different to motorbikes cause the engine is under your ass and not between your legs. But they are a little easier to handle in terms of moving them around..although that one will be huge..actual handling is not as nice...because of where the engine is.

My girlfriend has a 100cc Yamaha scooter and its lasted about 2 and a half years and is still going strong. Engine life spans on motorcycles is (from what i've heard) generally much shorter than cars though.

Good storage on those scooters too....under the seat. motorcycles...not so much unless you get some saddle bags.

Really it comes down to the geek factor...scooters are just dorky looking...motorcycles...coooool...

• Members

+1 on the Geek factor thing, but times have changed. Our neighbors just across the street got matching ones, (I swear that they're Honda's, maybe I'm wrong though).

Times they are a changing. For carrying stuff, go with a good sized scooter. You can still carry stuff on a motorcycle, but obviously you need to add or have something like a cargo net.

What ever she does, make sure she takes the safety course. I learned a lot when I took one two years ago. I know your area down there and it can get pretty congested right?

My biggest fear right now on mine is deer. They a friggin' everywhere. Mines loud enough that every time I've rode up on one or two, they bolt.

Small furry animals can be a bitch too.

Good luck and have fun.

• Members

Yeah bikes are friggin dangerous.. mostly because car drivers are F'in idiots who don't know your there. Even at the best of times they are very risky. I took a riding course and it was WELL worth it....In fact I didn't realize how much I DIDN'T know about riding until that course.

Leathers are essential...I know they are a hassle but its better than the hospital...and 30 mph on a scooter is the same as 30 mph on a motorbike.

Jeans DON'T work. My riding teacher told me how he fell one time and his jeans just split right up the side like they were nothing....went to the hospital and they just scrubbed the road rash with a brush to clean it.....ouch!

You know they are risky when alot of motogp riders won't ride on the street!

• Members

your damn near invisibility doesn't make me an idiot.

Plus half of the bikes I see out on the road drive like all the other traffic is simply in their way. Cars are like traffic cones. Drive like that, and something bad is gonna happen. Just a matter of time.

• Members

Be sure she takes a safety course,it really helps a novice rider and you get a discount on your insurance.(I'm an insurance agent)

IMO, if she will be spending any time in a freeway situation you will be better off with a small mc.Check around for a used Honda Rebel.They used to make both a 250 and 450cc model.They have a low seat height and are good for a beginner. Another option is a Buell Blast.I don't know if they still make that model, but they were around $3000 new.

My wife's first bike was an 03 Sportster 883 Custom, and she liked the way it fit her(5'3") because it was more narrow.The prices have come down on these, and you may find one in that price range.Also, YOU could ride it without near the shame of a scooter:poke:

I have nothing against the scooters for in town,and have actually been considering buying a couple of Honda Ruckus for my son and I.However, I have been riding for a long time and would not feel comfortable on the highway while riding a scooter.

Let us know what you decide to buy ! I hope my.02 was helpful !

• Members

Check out Suzuki Burgman. I have a Burgman 400 and will be getting a 650 when this one is paid off. They are amazing bulletproof motorcycles in a automatic scooter configuration. My 400 gets aprox 70mpg and does 100 mph and leaves cars in the dust. The Yamahas and Silverwing come nowhere near touching what Suzuki has done with the Burgman... Go test ride a 400 I don't think you will need anything bigger, I do big bike rides for charities right along with the Gold wings and Harley's and they all love my ride. I cruise the interstate all the time, passing big trucks and all... Suzuki rocks! As far as maintenance, I do it myself cause the dealers charge min 60$ to even look at it. So I change my own oil, and just take my wheels off and take them in to have tires put on every year. that's all I've had to do, haven't had to have valves adjusted yet.

• Members

Check out Suzuki Burgman. I have a Burgman 400 and will be getting a 650 when this one is paid off. They are amazing bulletproof motorcycles in a automatic scooter configuration. My 400 gets aprox 70mpg and does 100 mph and leaves cars in the dust. The Yamahas and Silverwing come nowhere near touching what Suzuki has done with the Burgman... Go test ride a 400 I don't think you will need anything bigger, I do big bike rides for charities right along with the Gold wings and Harley's and they all love my ride. I cruise the interstate all the time, passing big trucks and all... Suzuki rocks! As far as maintenance, I do it myself cause the dealers charge min 60$ to even look at it. So I change my own oil, and just take my wheels off and take them in to have tires put on every year. that's all I've had to do, haven't had to have valves adjusted yet.

Glad you posted that. I have been thinking of gettin one too. And the Burgman looked the nicest of them all. Good to see the milage you are getting with the 400. That's probably the one I'd get.

• Members

WOW, Thanks for all the replies! In Florida a M/C licence is seperate thing, just having a car licence doesn't count. As of April 1st,2008 you cannot recieve your M/C licence without taking the safety course. Plus she and I wouldn't be looking to be Evel Knievel, she just wants something that would be better on gas than her car when she's in town and with her other job.

We have some money saved up and would pay for it in cash, but then we would have to save up that amount again for other things, we don't borrow money anymore as to stay out of debt. So that's part why I asked because we don't want spend money on a scooter or the wrong M/C and then find out they don't reasonably last or could've done better.

My wife did ask me if I would get a matching scooter or M/C and I said sure if her's works out well. I'm not so worried about the cool factor if I could pass the pumps more often while riding around town. Plus I would have to save up on my own so we're talking a awhile down the road.

Marko, Yeah the "Dixie Highway" (I-75) is pretty damn bad at times. All the trucks and people flying down to Orlando or Tampa. Hwy 90 that connects from I-75 to the Wal-Mart, restaurants, and gas stations can get kinda bad as well. Other places are not quite as bad.

Thanks for the input everybody!! It really gave me a lot to think about. My wife wants a scooter or M/C but doesn't want to give up her cash so we'll see how it goes. She has been wanting to ride for long time though. Thanks to all once again!:thu:

• Members

I got mine cause my wife wanted to ride. I brought it home, got it out in the driveway to teach her how to ride it, just in the drive way first. She got on it, I explained everything and said just give a little but not much or it'll take off and hurt ya. She said OK OK I got it. Gave it a goose and the bike took off she went 10 feet really freakin fast before she landed face down with the bike on top of her. I took it away.. She's scared to try again, and so am I... So it's now MY bike :)

• Members

Well, my wife has visited this local bike shop for awhile. Went today and they had said they just received this the day before on trade....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motorcycles___Kawasaki-Vulcan-500-LTD_W0QQitemZ230270826320QQddnZMotorcyclesQQddiZ2283QQcmdZViewItem

My wife's is VERY similar. 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 cc Ltd with saddle bags and windshield. Kelly blue book was only $45 dollars off the offer my wife made. They were asking $4200??? wife made offer of $3800. They countered with $3900. Watching my wife wheel and deal is art in motion! Plus was nice since we were talking cash! So with tag, tax and title...plus a nice helmet (think plum "Chips style" helment with a visor and a extra sunshield and a nice bike weather cover was close to $4800.

She rode over to her sister's while I confirmed the insurance. WE ARE taking the safety course next month. She was so happy!!!! She was acting like me if I got a new set! Will post more pics soon. Thanks for everybody's help. SHe really likes the cycle over the scooter thing. SHe only quit riding tonight because she was hungry and tired!

She was very cautious at first, we had the bike loaded onto my S-10 at first since it was raining here and was on the other side of a busy Hwy. But then we stopped at a friends and unloaded it then she soon took to it like butter and had fun!

Thanks again for all and EVERYONE'S help! Will try to post pics soon!!

• Members

Not bad for a first bike. Before I got to the end of this thread I was going to recommend a Ninja 250R since they're a perfect intro bike, good weight, low height, decent styling and they're forgiving on the throttle which is something I find very crucial.

Hope your wife has a blast with her new bike, and I bet she will - my wife has been bugging me for a bike for quite a while now.

• Members

Thanks for the advise Bitter! as well as all the others. Yes, it seems that I will be needing to get a bike for me in the next year or so.

I had heard that motorcycles only had a certain lifetime to them? Any truth to that? so How long can my wife exspect to keep riding her bike with okay upkeep? I would like to know the maximum if she just does the bare maintence? or what is normal for cycles. That why I know if she does better maintence she may prolong the life.

I say that caz I know if I tell my wife if she keeps execellent maintence she will ride good for another 10 years, she will be doing normal maintece and think it's excellent. If I tell her what to exspect with okay maintence, she will bust balls to defy it! She's like me, don't tell us we can't do something!

Thanks guys!

• Members

You can buy a pair of used, low mileage Suzuki LS-650 Savage (Boulevard S40) bikes for less than most 400cc scooters. Plenty of cheap aftermarket parts available for them too, since they've basically been produced unchanged for 20+ years now. Guess what it costs to replace the plastic on those scooters? It ain't cheap. The LS-650 has a low seat height, has low weight and center of gravity, and gets good gas mileage 50-60mpg. It weighs less than the 400 Burgman. Low maintenance belt drive instead of chain drive.

• Members

Thanks for the advise Bitter! as well as all the others. Yes, it seems that I will be needing to get a bike for me in the next year or so.

I had heard that motorcycles only had a certain lifetime to them? Any truth to that? so How long can my wife exspect to keep riding her bike with okay upkeep? I would like to know the maximum if she just does the bare maintence? or what is normal for cycles. That why I know if she does better maintence she may prolong the life.

I say that caz I know if I tell my wife if she keeps execellent maintence she will ride good for another 10 years, she will be doing normal maintece and think it's excellent. If I tell her what to exspect with okay maintence, she will bust balls to defy it! She's like me, don't tell us we can't do something!

Thanks guys!

Maintence is a must for longevity. Change the oil when your book says to, clean air fliter, and adjust and lube chain.Replace parts before they get to worn out.Parts arn't cheap, buy good parts they last longer.Watch the front brake pads and tires.----x bike racer

• Members

I'm fairly certain most Jap' bikes last quite a while with minimal problems. At worst you'll eventually have to change the sprockets and chain, but the engines are fairly solid.

You can still pick up some older Honda Rebels & Shadows with high mileage and they run well, of course they've needed a few things replace but bikes are much more simplistic than a car, and definitely cheaper all the way around - unless you have a Harley of course.

Archived