Roddy Question

TamaMan

• Members

I'm recording a demo with a death metal band I joined a couple months ago, and the overall sound of the music would be better with my 14x5.5 snare instead of my 13x7.

I'm getting a new batter head and a new reso head, and want it to sound as close to this snare as possible.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DFwxGhr23LI

I'm pretty sure he uses a coated ambassador on the batter head and a clear ambassador on the reso...Does anyone know?

• Members

I'm pretty sure that most of the sound you are hearing in that clip is from the board, so what the snare actually sounded like is anyone's guess. A lot of it is in the EQ/processing/mics etc. Your snare should be fine, but you may not be able to get that tone due to differeing processing/studio tricks. They may have been using drumagog for all we know.

• Members

The secret to Roddy's snare sound is pinned finger technique. This makes it sit slightly late and sound strained and forceful and faster than it's going.

Chuckle.

Can you expand on that a little bit? From the video, it looks like he's using lots more wrist than I would be comfortable with at those tempos. I'd be planning on using finger technique to play speeds like that. Is that what you mean?

/w

• Members

Haven't grabbed your clip yet (Acme Phone Web) but, ok like you know when they're like flying an it's like basically a single stroke roll except it's feet and everything and

as soon as the left hand is by itself on the snare drum everything gets clunky and strained and loses the streaming flow?

Ok granted, sweepingest of generalizations, but Buddy Rich to that DC Champion clip the kids posted, to that Lord speed guy clip the kids posted,

(deeeep inhale)

None of 'em can maintain a one snap per tap finger roll for more than the 8 taps they can buzz the stick. All pinned and outta headroom.

Simply have to Moeller it to get an articulate stream that sustains. Just 8th note no less.

Ahmma grab that clip now.

• Members

You're right I do drift a lot. Aesthetics of the moment you know. Just trying to stay amused.

Anyway, plain English:

Steady state hammering away takes horsepower and efficient energy transfer. Finger control is too wimpy.

• Members

Haven't grabbed your clip yet (Acme Phone Web) but, ok like you know when they're like flying an it's like basically a single stroke roll except it's feet and everything and

as soon as the left hand is by itself on the snare drum everything gets clunky and strained and loses the streaming flow?

Ok granted, sweepingest of generalizations, but Buddy Rich to that DC Champion clip the kids posted, to that Lord speed guy clip the kids posted,

(deeeep inhale)

None of 'em can maintain a one snap per tap finger roll for more than the 8 taps they can buzz the stick. All pinned and outta headroom.

Simply have to Moeller it to get an articulate stream that sustains. Just 8th note no less.

Ahmma grab that clip now.

i think my head is going to explode :facepalm:

Archived