Drum Clap sound?

shadowshocker

• Members

If you have a drip, you'll need some pennicillin..................

Oh sh*t, different clap. Sorry. :facepalm: Carry on.

Or, bolt a hinge on the end of two 20" 2"x4"'s laying flat on a work bench. Tones can be changed by cutting/boring/drilling varied matching patterns on the interior sides of the 2"X"'s. Just don't pinch your fingers or swear words are automatically added right after the clap.

Still not a "drum" though".

• Members

Yeah I know, but a hand clapping sounds completely different than one of those clap sounds from a drum machine.

That's because the early drum machines (most notably the Roland 808) were anaog synthesizers and didn't use actually sample files. That 808 clap sound that you hear in {censored} loads of popular music is just the synthesizer programmer's approximation of a hand clap sound. That's why it sounds different.

• Members

The electronic clap probably is in all likelihood, stratified and multitapped to pluralize the percussive transient thus giving more spread and 'realism' to the effect than one might be able to obtain manually.

I thought everybody knew that.

• Members

Regardless of the nonsense here, using a Meinl Generation X Drumbal will give you the closest sound to a hand clap available for a drum. I plan on buying one very soon. No, it doesn't sound exactly like a clap, but live, it is passable, and it opens up a lot of ideas. Check them out.

• Members

Cut someones hands off, and put them on a hi hat stand instead of cymbals. Problem solved.

wow, both awesome posts.

I have a hand fixed on my kick pedal and one on the kick head, sometimes I use chucks of thigh and muffle to taste. It always gets the party started.

Sometimes I slap my girlfriends ass pretty hard, that should be recorded.

To the op, a cheap drum machine will do the trick. Or if you use a computer to record you should be able to find something to download for free. On a recording a few years back, my band had 4 guys clapping and we layered it 4 more. That sounded really fat.

• Members

Thanks for all the suggestions
:rolleyes:

I thought there'd be some sort of snare that could make a clap like sound, but I guess there's not. Looks like I'll have to use drum machines, though I'd much rather not. Oh well, thanks anyways.

really tight and muffled snare with possibly a tambourine on top might sound good.

Archived