24" or 26" bass

Buzter

• Members

I'm getting a ludwig marching bass to go with my gold sparkle kit. Can't decide if I want a 24 or 26. I have a 26 with my club rock set. I like 26 a lot but can't quite decide. I think I should just go for it and go 26 but still not sure. The 24's are a little easier to find. Any thoughts?

• Members

I think I'm going at least 26". I've already got a 22". I have a 9x13, 16x16 and hopefully soon a 14x14. By the way, I really like the club rock. It's the green sparkle GC version. I've yet to gig with it. I like the 30 degree bearing edges too. It's a little rounder sound. I put pinstripes on it but I think I'm going to go coated emperors at some point.

How you liking that club rock?

I'd say toms over the kick 24, or if not go 26" F@8k it go 32" BOOOOM!

• Members

A 24'' can tune tighter than a 26''.

By the time you get to "that" tight, you're well above what anyone would logically use...well above "boing"...could could say that a 26 can go looser than a 24 and that tosses the the tuning range idea out the window, unless a 22 has an even wider range...then why stop there - go with an 18...it should have a huge tuning range compared to a 26...lol

I don't see where you're coming from on stating that a 24 is more versatile, or has a wider tuning range, than a 26. That doesn't really make sense.

• Members

I guess I just associate more styles of music with a 24 than a 26...

Depends on where you go - big band era used 24s and 26's...they went bigger to get more volume - bigger drum = more air moving...then.

Now most of us tune them as low as we can get, and the only way to get lower is by adding inches.

• Members

yeah, 23"...duh! it's all the rage.

If you have a 26" now, why get another? When they go out of fashion, you'll be stuck with 2 drums that are a pain in the ass to move around (and take up a bunch of stage space) ;-)

just go with a djembe with a pedal attachment.

meh. now I'm going back on vaca.

• Members

I'd go with 26", I just like giant bass drums. I play a monster 32" marching bass for school, and just because I can, I throw a cowbell on!

take it one step farther, make a whole kit out of cowbells and bass drums. mmmmmmm

Archived