Cymbal Question

tomyco

• Members

I know that when it comes to cymbals it's a personal preference. Being that I am new to drums, I don't have the expertise on hearing the difference between different cymbals. So let me ask your opinions this way.

I have a 5 piece Mapex Pro M set, I've just purchased a used ( 1970's) but in very good condition Zildjian A 20" medium ride. I want to purchase a used 16" crash and 14" Hi Hats.

I do like the sound of cymbals from the 60's and 70's. So to capture that type of sound, what would you experienced drummers suggest I purchase on 14" hi hats and a 16" crash. Because of my budget I will probably go used.

All suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• Members

I know that when it comes to cymbals it's a personal preference. Being that I am new to drums, I don't have the expertise on hearing the difference between different cymbals. So let me ask your opinions this way.

I have a 5 piece Mapex Pro M set, I've just purchased a used ( 1970's) but in very good condition Zildjian A 20" medium ride. I want to purchase a used 16" crash and 14" Hi Hats.

I do like the sound of cymbals from the 60's and 70's. So to capture that type of sound, what would you experienced drummers suggest I purchase on 14" hi hats and a 16" crash. Because of my budget I will probably go used.

All suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

why not just check out the "Armand" series from zildjian. that whole line is based on the specs and cymbal sounds of their 60s-70s era cymbals.

i'm not a zildjian fan these days, but if the Armand series sounds as described i'd have no problem buying a set.

• Members

A lot of rock drummers in the 70's used Zildjian A's. I just sold a 1970's 16" Zildjian A crash on Craigslist for 60 bucks, and a long time ago I bought a set of 1970's 14" Zildjian A hats for 50 bucks (and still have them too). Cheap, and probably what you're looking for.

• Members

Yup, lots of hollow logo zildjians and older A's for sale on Ebay and craigslist. I have several and they have "that sound" of the 70's rock bands. I also have a couple of black label 2002's from the 70s but they seem to command prices that are close to the street price of new Zildjians these days. I bought a black label set of 14" high hats and they were 150 bucks. My 24" ride was 305 bucks. Vintage isn't always cheap. But since you can't buy anything with that sound with todays models (generally anyways) its a price vs. sound issue anyways. How much is that authentic sound worth to you. Seems to get a little premium lately. The older we get, the less of the original cymbals there are that seem to have survived in good condition.

Archived