I got an audition with a group I really like. help me!

wiresix

• Members

so I just got back from the audition... I think I bombed, but the bass player (who formed the band) liked it so I'm in. I played on his set, with my snares, kick pedals, and some cymbals. the guy had freaking 4 rack toms! they were pretty thin and ringy sounding. combine those with my two snares, and there was way too much for this 4pc drummer to work with... from now on, I'm bringing all my own equipment!

I think what saved me is the fact that I had one of their songs down good enough that I could nail it on someone elses set. well... that, and I have recording equip, a good sized PA system, and I was better than the competition
:)
what's funny is the bass player just migrated from drums to bass a few years ago. I heard some old recordings, and he's a pretty darn good drummer. I look forward to picking up tips from him here and there.

thanks for the advice guys. I'm stoked!

Hell yeah man, Sounds like the bass player being a drummer, knows talent when he sees it. You must have done something right.. Good job!!!

• Members

than the competion! Relax and rehearse with the other guys. Get to know all the band members. It may just the way you talk about yourself on here, but if you're in, you ARE part of the band.

Meaning while you may be a jack of all, master of none on the drums. Know your strong points and use them. Don't sell yourself so short. You tried out and YOU got it! Now, if you have any questions, be sure and ask the other guys. Communication within all the members will make a huge difference and don't be afraid to ask. A lot of flack can happen in bands when one doesn't know what the others want to play and DOES NOT talk about it. I wouldn't bog down each song with questions, but I would ask if you're not sure about something. Way to go dude!:thu:

• Members

natural ability will beat trained musicians with less natural ability anyday...dont' worry about the technical side so much if you have good chops and are intuitive about where to steer the groove...just go with the flow and feel it when you're playing...

• Members

Congrats on landing the gig. I realize that the audition is over but here is my 2 cents about a rock band audition.

When we had to look for a new member, we weren't necessarily looking for the best player, but the person that would best serve our goals. Image, unfortunatly, is very important these days. Look at live pictures of shows and present yourself in a fashion that would either fit in or be positively interesting to the group. Be confident socially and musically (bad attitudes are easily noticable). Also be very open and easy to work with, whether its being open to try grooves you arent very comfortable with or scheduling issues. If they asked you to learn something, show up very prepared. As far as the playing part goes, don't try to impress them with licks. Instead, impress them with your ability to perfectly compliment the songs. Take into consideration things like: the character and color of each tune, whether the tunes call for you to play ontop or behind the beat and play with good time. During songs, listen to everyone to accomplish the best overall group sound. Finally, sound like you. I always like drummers that add their own unique sound and personality to the group while still satisfying the songs. Of course thats harder to do when you have to learn songs they already have. And show up ontime haha.

Sorry if I just rambled on or if everything I said was already mentioned. I didn't read all of the posts. Thats just some things that I look for/find interesting in drummers.

Archived