Wouldn't be caught dead

piersonm

• Members

Stages are Yamaha's and they are the bottom of the line (or second to bottom...thinking Rydeen is the worst for some reason) BUT they are still great drums. All birch and the finishes aren't that bad. Much nicer than the other 'starter' kits.
Thinking about getting a set for the studio.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Stages are Yamaha's and they are the bottom of the line (or second to bottom...thinking Rydeen is the worst for some reason) BUT they are still great drums. All birch and the finishes aren't that bad. Much nicer than the other 'starter' kits. Thinking about getting a set for the studio.

They're an entry-intermediate level kit, mine was around $800 or so. Detachable composite lugs (like the lugs on the x custom absolute drums) which are great for fast head changes but not great on the snare, prone to break under tension and especially with 2-ply heads.

They're not actually birch, they're made of plies of philippine mahogany, falkata, and an outer ply of oak. I believe the stage custom advantage series drums have an outer ply of birch... or something, and feature real lugs and nicer finishes.

The hardware is lightweight and strong, though. All 'round good starter kit.

• Members

They're not actually birch, they're made of plies of philippine mahogany, falkata, and an outer ply of oak. I believe the stage custom advantage series drums have an outer ply of birch... or something, and feature real lugs and nicer finishes.

The new ones are 100% birch (prolly not the highest grade), but yes you are correct good sir, the old ones are composite

• Members

When I started drumming, it was "Pearl this" and "Pearl that." And the resident school's A-hole drummer played a set of Pearl Exports and always talked about how great his kit was. So I still have an odd dislike of Pearl Drums. I've played many since, and they're great drums, but it leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

I can't stand Pro-Mark sticks, either. I've had so many of them just fall apart on me within 5 minutes of using them. In my opinion, they're super cheap and I won't buy them ever again.

I've also never personally played a drum with an Aquarian head on it that sounded good.

Just my opinions! :)

• Members

The thing is, once you get to the high-end lines of these manufacturers, it really is a question of taste. First,
I think it is quite clear that DW is WAY over-priced for the product. It is great that they're doing innovative things (VLT, X-Shell, etc.) and have great hardware but let's all stop jerking eachother off, ok Mr. Peart?
2nd, Yamaha rules. Proper heads and tuning can make their Stage Customs sound great, which is why they were bumped up from bottom-end to intermediate. Questions regarding this should be submitted to Billy Cobham, or Matt Cameron.
3rd, Pearls all sound like Pearls.
4th, Tama gets a bad reputation because of all the metal players using ultra-attack-heavy mixing. Questions regarding this should be submitted to Lars Ulrich and Mike Portnoy. Their Starclassics are delicious.
5th, I've never heard a Premier kit that didn't sound magnificent (yes I play Premier Genistas, yes they are hard to find, yes they are reasonably priced, yes they are too-often ignored).
6th, Regardless of your taste in Luddys, their snares are just unbeatable.
7th, regarding cymbals, this is really a question of taste. Between Paiste and Zildjian/Sabian, there are so many bloody lines of product that they are blurred. You want bright, glassy, rich and full? Go Paiste. You want dark, dry and controlled? Go Zildjian. You're poor? Go Sabian.
8th, Acrylic Drums are for the stage, not the studio. Even Bonham stuck with the Green Sparkle kit in the studio, never the Amber Vistalites. They've come a long way (see RCI Starlights) and sound comparable especially with today's mixing powers, but again the sight of them is the main draw.
9th, try something boutique (Spaun, TMD, C&C, etc.) if you've got lots of money.

• Members
The thing is, once you get to the high-end lines of these manufacturers, it really is a question of taste. First,

I think it is quite clear that DW is WAY over-priced for the product. It is great that they're doing innovative things (VLT, X-Shell, etc.) and have great hardware but let's all stop jerking eachother off, ok Mr. Peart?

2nd, Yamaha rules. Proper heads and tuning can make their Stage Customs sound great, which is why they were bumped up from bottom-end to intermediate. Questions regarding this should be submitted to Billy Cobham, or Matt Cameron.

3rd, Pearls all sound like Pearls.

4th, Tama gets a bad reputation because of all the metal players using ultra-attack-heavy mixing. Questions regarding this should be submitted to Lars Ulrich and Mike Portnoy. Their Starclassics are delicious.

5th, I've never heard a Premier kit that didn't sound magnificent (yes I play Premier Genistas, yes they are hard to find, yes they are reasonably priced, yes they are too-often ignored).

6th, Regardless of your taste in Luddys, their snares are just unbeatable.

7th, regarding cymbals, this is really a question of taste. Between Paiste and Zildjian/Sabian, there are so many bloody lines of product that they are blurred. You want bright, glassy, rich and full? Go Paiste. You want dark, dry and controlled? Go Zildjian. You're poor? Go Sabian.

8th, Acrylic Drums are for the stage, not the studio. Even Bonham stuck with the Green Sparkle kit in the studio, never the Amber Vistalites. They've come a long way (see RCI Starlights) and sound comparable especially with today's mixing powers, but again the sight of them is the main draw.

9th, try something boutique (Spaun, TMD, C&C, etc.) if you've got lots of money.

Odd, when i think "dark, dry, and controled" i think of Paiste Traditionals.:love:

• Members

I believe, to some degree, in the saying "you get what you pay for". That's not to say there aren't some good drums for cheaper than others, but when it comes to low end stuff it usually sucks pretty bad.

Now, I don't think there's anything I would "not be caught dead playing" because if times were hard enough for me I think I would rather be playing a CB7000 drum kit with B8 cymbals than NO kit at all. :thu:

• Members
I laughed myself into a coughing fit.

Haha, me too. I guess he's never seen/heard the Hand Hammered or HHX line, from which I may be getting some new hats soon. :thu:

Things I can't stand though include cheap cymbals from any company and Pro-Mark or Vater sticks.

I'm not incredibly picky with drums, as long as they're not cheaply made. Never had a great experience with DDrum (never care to play any of those again, shells weren't even round) or wait for it..... Ludwig. I want to like them, I can imagine some classic maples would sound sweet, but I haven't played on a higher end kit to find out if I actually do or not. And a friend of mine, whose opinion I respect, said his wait for it.... DW's sounded better than the newer Ludwigs. (Keep in mind I've never played a kit of either.) Just curious how'd they'd compare excluding the price difference.

• Members

Haha, me too. I guess he's never seen/heard the Hand Hammered or HHX line, from which I may be getting some new hats soon.

I laughed because it's true of me. "I can get the same thing for $20 less and convince myself it sounds better if I go Sabian..."

Archived