Rockband to interest 9 year old in music?

Annoying Twit

• Members

I'm reading all the replies here and will reply again on the main topic of the thread a bit later.

But I did show my son some youtube videos and pictures of the rockband drumkit. He seemed very interested.

When I read your first post, I guessed that your situation was this: You said that you'd buy your daughter a guitar if the compulsory practice was part of the package. I.e. that you didn't force the instrument on her, but gave her the choice of having the instrument with the conditions imposed, or not have the instrument.

If that's what you're doing, then I think it's a good policy.

Exactlly:thu:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is
absolutely
not true...

Both my kids have showed limited interest in playing music (they love to listen to music)... I've tried to get them interested in playing drums (& Guitar & Piano), and as soon as it becomes "work" they loose interest. I don't force it on them. If they want to learn, I'm there. Forcing a kid to do something they don't want to do, just to stroke your own ego or to live vicariously through them, is weak!

We picked up GH:WT 2 weeks ago and both are playing the drum kit that came with it. A few days ago my daughter asked if she could jump on my drum set and I said "sure"... She played a straight rock beat with a solid tempo and said "How was that?" (She's 9yr).

I said "Great!!! honey... how did you learn that"

She said "It's the drum part to
Beat It
"

I told her the Yellow=Hi-Hat, Red=Snare, Blue=Rack Tom, Green=Floor Tom, Orange=Ride.

So then I took it one step farther... I plugged the game in and brought a song up, put a strip of colored tape on the corresponding parts of the kit, and said "try and play this" (I played the GH:WT drums)... She did really well and has shown a genuine interest in playing the real kit.

I don't care who here has some type a strange bias toward these "virtual" instrument games... These game have done more to introduce kids to GOOD music and at least the concept of playing a real instrument than any other thing in the last 10 years. And the drums (At least the GH:WT drums) are a direct translation to playing real drums (Unlike the Guitar). It teaches timing, site reading (albeit in the form of colored dots) and structure.

Of course I don't think this should be the be the only method of teaching, but it is a great foundation for leading into what can turn out to be a genuine interest in learning music. Too many parent try and push their kids into playing music for the wrong reasons. Just because you may love to play music, doesn't mean your kid will give a rat's ass about it. If this opens a door, what's the harm????

Now, the Rock Band drums are a little different and are less "real".. both in feel and lay-out... but the GH drums are spot on. (Like a Low-End E-Kit)

Of course my kids also have the benefit of having a musician in the house teach them the proper way to hold a stick, etc...

Drum teachers are boring... Video games are interactive and can be played at the kid's leasure.... Sorry instructors... deal with it!!!!!!!

And at least your kid is listening to good music, and not a bunch of {censored}ty-ass hip-hop talking about "Smack'n A Ho", Or "Kill'n A Nigga".

Agree 100%

I bought my drumset after playing Rock Band, and I learned the basic rock beat with Rock Band.

• Members

Guitar Hero: World Tour, hands down, has the better Drum Kit (And Guitar for that matter)... And all the GH Peripherals are compatible with Rock Band.

So Get GH:WT Complete Band Pak (189.99) and just pick up Rock Band I & II (Game's Only) This way you get the best of everything.

Hopefully you have an XBox and not a PS3... There are a lot of problems being reported w/ the PS3 Version, do to the clunky platform of the PS3.

The biggest complaint w/ the Wii version is that the graphics aren't as good as the other 2 platforms.

EDIT NOTE: The One thing the RB set does have an up on is the kick pedal. The Kick Pedal on the GH:WT kit SUCKS. I'm already engineering a way to hook the trigger up to a real Kick Pedal. Something like this, but homemade.
PBDPXXXXX_ip.jpg

• Members
This is
absolutely
not true...

Both my kids have showed limited interest in playing music (they love to listen to music)... I've tried to get them interested in playing drums (& Guitar & Piano), and as soon as it becomes "work" they loose interest. I don't force it on them. If they want to learn, I'm there. Forcing a kid to do something they don't want to do, just to stroke your own ego or to live vicariously through them, is weak!

We picked up GH:WT 2 weeks ago and both are playing the drum kit that came with it. A few days ago my daughter asked if she could jump on my drum set and I said "sure"... She played a straight rock beat with a solid tempo and said "How was that?" (She's 9yr).

I said "Great!!! honey... how did you learn that"

She said "It's the drum part to
Beat It
"

I told her the Yellow=Hi-Hat, Red=Snare, Blue=Rack Tom, Green=Floor Tom, Orange=Ride.

So then I took it one step farther... I plugged the game in and brought a song up, put a strip of colored tape on the corresponding parts of the kit, and said "try and play this" (I played the GH:WT drums)... She did really well and has shown a genuine interest in playing the real kit.

I don't care who here has some type a strange bias toward these "virtual" instrument games... These game have done more to introduce kids to GOOD music and at least the concept of playing a real instrument than any other thing in the last 10 years. And the drums (At least the GH:WT drums) are a direct translation to playing real drums (Unlike the Guitar). It teaches timing, site reading (albeit in the form of colored dots) and structure.

Of course I don't think this should be the be the only method of teaching, but it is a great foundation for leading into what can turn out to be a genuine interest in learning music. Too many parent try and push their kids into playing music for the wrong reasons. Just because you may love to play music, doesn't mean your kid will give a rat's ass about it. If this opens a door, what's the harm????

Now, the Rock Band drums are a little different and are less "real".. both in feel and lay-out... but the GH drums are spot on. (Like a Low-End E-Kit)

Of course my kids also have the benefit of having a musician in the house teach them the proper way to hold a stick, etc...

Drum teachers are boring... Video games are interactive and can be played at the kid's leasure.... Sorry instructors... deal with it!!!!!!!

And at least your kid is listening to good music, and not a bunch of {censored}ty-ass hip-hop talking about "Smack'n A Ho", Or "Kill'n A Nigga".

I like your one step further idea. Good job. I'm always looking for new ways to reach students because I can be somewhat boring.:bor:

• Members
I like your one step further idea. Good job. I'm always looking for new ways to reach students because I can be somewhat boring.
:bor:

Thanks, it was an on-the-fly idea. Actually, you can just put the game in "Practice Mode" and there is no real need to have to play the GH drums too. I think it could be a solid idea for bridging that gap.

I don't think it's so much you're boring as it is... Well lets face it, practicing rudiment or site reading exercises can be boring, even painful at times.
But they are necessary. I think this method could be a good supplement to a practice routine.

Hook headphones into the game, strap in and play to the score....
the only downside... no feed back. If you wanted to get really fancy, you could trigger the acoustic set to the game. (I've seen it done on YouTube) but have no idea how they did it. I know it involves some pretty serious mods.

Here's another bonus of practicing on a GH Kit... It' fairly quit. Parent who let their kids play drums are VERY understanding... because drums played out of the context of being played along w/ other instrument, just sound like a bunch of noise...

I have no stock in this game... If you hate it's concept... then don't play it. (Close Minded Ass) But I think there are far more benefits to owning one than not.

• Members

Thanks, it was an on-the-fly idea. Actually, you can just put the game in "Practice Mode" and there is no real need to have to play the GH drums too. I think it could be a solid idea for bridging that gap.

I don't think it's so much you're boring as it is... Well lets face it, practicing rudiment or site reading exercises can be boring, even painful at times.

But they are necessary. I think this method could be a good supplement to a practice routine.

Hook headphones into the game, strap in and play to the score....

the only downside... no feed back. If you wanted to get really fancy, you could trigger the acoustic set to the game. (I've seen it done on YouTube) but have no idea how they did it. I know it involves some pretty serious mods.

Here's another bonus of practicing on a GH Kit... It' fairly quit. Parent who let their kids play drums are VERY understanding... because drums played out of the context of being played along w/ other instrument, just sound like a bunch of noise...

I have no stock in this game... If you hate it's concept... then don't play it. (Close Minded Ass) But I think there are far more benefits to owning one than not.

I don't hate the concept at all. I think it actually introduces kids to music and potentially private lessons. If it brings the family together, all the better.

One thing it's missing is the pure, aggressive and physical nature of playing a real drumset. Nothing quite like giving it all you got and laying it down and driving your parents to drinkin'.

• Members
I wasn't judging (or at least I wasn't trying to).. and I kind of figured what you meant, but Like DS, I've read a lot of disturbing threads online about this exact subject matter, and it irks the crap out of me. So I needed a little rant.
;)

The biggest scum-bags on earth are the parents that post their 3yr/old "prodigy" on YouTube... Saying "Come On Johnny... Play... Play"

Hate those {censored}ers.... Get A Life!

I coach U-8 Soccer (5-7yr)... And I have some stories... sick really.

But it's all the same mentality...

Your right those people are scum for those types of things.

But would you let your kid stop taking math or science in elementary school just because they said it was boring and didn't want to do their homework?

Once again,..most kids are not super motivated...especially to do things they don't think are important at that given moment.

Just like you make the little {censored}ers do their homework (or people should) so you can apply that to learning music. When they get older then they can decide for themselves.

I am definitely not one for old school discipline....but at the same time I think ever since about the 80's this whole "new age" parenting bull{censored} about "talking" and "reasoning" with your children...has done nothing but produce a lot of spoiled little {censored}s who have a very low work ethic. I'm amazed how many twenty somethings I come into contact with who just have no basic sense of responsibility to do their jobs.

You don't have to hit kids to discipline them...all you need to do is take away what they like to do if they don't do what the HAVE to do. You watch how fast they get their asses in gear.

• Members

You don't have to hit kids to discipline them...all you need to do is take away what they like to do if they don't do what the HAVE to do. You watch how fast they get their asses in gear.

I wished that worked all the time I have an 18 year old that just fights authority more when you do that.

• Members

LOL...well yeah at 18 I'd expect that.....

That's basically the age where he's on his own.

Make 18 year olds pay their own way.....(if he's out of high school)

He wants to be treated like an adult...well then he gets it the FULL way...

Pay rent, pay for his share of food...etc...

• Members

Rockband's a good idea for cheap drum lessons. It's even got a drum lesson feature which, while it can be tedious, if you learn to skip around it a bit, it's more interesting. I'd say that the lesson feature can pretty easily cover the first two years of drum lessons, which is enough to determine his interest.

The only thing that it cannot teach him is how to hold the stick and hit something with it. Sounds simple, but it is vitally important to learn this. Most people who sit down at the kit for Rockband get this deathgrip on the sticks that really slows their learning. It doesn't help that the drum pads on the set are dead - they're easily one of the most difficult objects to get a stick rebound off of, which is important in learning hand technique.

• Members

I realise that because I'm the OP doesn't mean that I own the thread. But, I'd like to clarify my thinking a bit. I wasn't thinking that RB would teach him to play the drums. I was thinking RB might be a game that he enjoys that as a side effect might get him interested in learning to play the drums. And I wasn't going to force playing music on him, it's an option he is being offered. But he gets no choice with basic schooling :)

He can't have a paper round yet, he's only just turned 9. Don't know about other countries, but I believe that it is illegal to do that. I got my first paper round @ 11, but that was actually illegal I believe. He doesn't get pocket money, but earns money by doing good things such as exercise and additional learning such as completing home study maths and english books. But the amount of money he gets from that is too small to build up to major purchases.

• Members

I realise that because I'm the OP doesn't mean that I own the thread. But, I'd like to clarify my thinking a bit. I wasn't thinking that RB would teach him to play the drums. I was thinking RB might be a game that he enjoys that as a side effect might
get him interested in learning to play the drums
. And I wasn't going to force playing music on him, it's an option he is being offered. But he gets no choice with basic schooling
:)

He can't have a paper round yet, he's only just turned 9. Don't know about other countries, but I believe that it is illegal to do that. I got my first paper round @ 11, but that was actually illegal I believe. He doesn't get pocket money, but earns money by doing good things such as exercise and additional learning such as completing home study maths and english books. But the amount of money he gets from that is too small to build up to major purchases.

Child labor laws only apply where they are paid less than comparable wages and/or work 40+ hours a week...

A paper route is hardly that.

Does he walk to school? Does he not have a baby sitter?

Then he's old enough to manage a paper route.

You pay him for exercise? Wow. LOL!!! I didn't get {censored} for anything. Kids these days are dumb as {censored}, and expect to be compensated for simply existing, let alone actually having to earn it. Let your kid learn these "hard parts" of life before the other kids do, and he'll be MUCH better off for it.

• Members

This is coming from a total outsider viewpoint. I think I live in the only house in America that doesn't have a video game system such as Wii or XBox or whatever. Even the really square parents I know have 'em.

The thing I wonder about this though is that video games are designed so that whatever the task is,it is easy enough that a total nitwit can do it. A person who has no military or firearm knowledge and can't walk up a hill, let alone charge, can wipeout a whole brigade of Nazis. Same with drums and guitar on GH I'd think.

So let's say a kid gets hooked on playing drums on GH. They decide they want to play drums for real. Playing drums is hard and takes much repetition while sucking to gain profiiency. The same kid has had success at becoming a great rock drummer GH while having all of the stimulation of the game and able to learn it fast.

I wonder will they become discouraged quickly because it's not as easy and "fun" as it is on GH and just go back to GH where they're successful?

I don't know the answer, but knowing something about teenagers and common sense, I'd think a vast majority would become discouraged.

But if you think it'll work, go for it!

As a side note, I wonder if games like this will actually hurt and discourage kids from playing music because it's easy and fun and a lot easier and cheaper than actually playing a real instrument. It could contribute even further down the road of no one being a real musician. The musicians will either be programmers of synths and drum machines or people playing GH type games. Real musicians playing real instruments will become harder and harder to find.

• Members

... I was thinking RB might be a game that he enjoys that as a side effect might
get him interested in learning to play the drums

could be wishful thinking.

If your kid's playing video games already, vet the game like you would any other game you'd get your kid. But don't get your hopes up.

think about the other games your kid's playing-- how many other lifelong pursuits is he likely to pick up mashing thumbs (or sticks) on a cheap piece of plastic?

The value in playing instruments is the opportunity to create. If your kid learns to love creating music he'll pick up any instrument you leave lying around. I don't know how well parroting flashing patterns on a screen translates to creativity.

Want your kid to want to play instruments? Get him a 4-track. the possibilities are endless.

• Members

see if there's a friend that already has it, and let him spend some time trying it out. If the interest is there, get it. Start taking him through some music shops and let him get behind a couplea kits and see how that goes. If there is interest, then sign him up for a lesson. If he takes to it, throw some more lessons at him. Is there a music program at his scholl that he can get involved with?

Build it up and see how he reacts before you commit financially.

• Members

:rawk:rockband is very different from the actual drums. the real drums are a lot more frustrating. real drums are also much more expensive than rock band you cannot just get the set for him and let him do as he wishes playing it once every year. as much as I'd like to promote drumming, I'd suggest maybe making him play one of the instruments you already bought him

• Members

You pay him for exercise? Wow. LOL!!! I didn't get {censored} for anything. Kids these days are dumb as {censored}, and expect to be compensated for simply existing, let alone actually having to earn it. Let your kid learn these "hard parts" of life before the other kids do, and he'll be MUCH better off for it.

That's not true at all....kids are smarter than ever. They learn very quickly how to become master manipulators. And when they find a weakness they exploit it better than Bush and his oil cronies exploiting Iraq.

It's the parents who are the dumb {censored}s these days. To many of them crack under pressure (whining), or spoil their kids, or don't stay consistent with discipline. And that is the kiss of death. Just show a kid ONE time that you won't be consistent and they will be all over that in such subtle ways that you won't even know YOU'RE the one being manipulated.

• Members

I have a hard time understanding what it is that everyone keeps claiming is so different. Now, to be fair, I own GH World Tour and the drums are better than the RB drums, but as far as muscle memory and limb independence goes, it's no different than learning to play on an acoustic or electronic kit.

Funny how keyboards have all sorts of different ways to teach you how to play by showing you what keys to push and when... but when it's a video game showing you how to do the same thing on drums, people balk.

Archived