Auralex Studiofoam Thoughts

Carpathian

• Members

Hi, I'm sure this has been covered many times before but I need a definitive answer from drum dudes. What material(s) under $200-$300 would you recommend for soundproofing my 12x12 room. I have two windows roughly 3x4 feet. What can I do to my room to keep the sound in yet still maintain balance. I was on musicians friend and found some studiofoam but it was pricey. Would that kill the sound heard from the outside or does it just affect the sound control inside the room.. Say I bought two of these and were used in combination with some blankets on the walls and two sheets of plywood or OSB with dead air in between them for the windows. Would that be overkill? I apologize for rambling but it seems I'm at crossroads with a sound issue that's bugging my neighbors more than me but it needs to be taken care of just to keep the peace. Thanks - Carpathian

• Members

Only way I know of to really sound proof a room is to build a room inside a room. Studio foam could help a little but not nearly as much as you want.

Room inside a room with full blown framing and two layers of sheetrock with insulation? Or would something like a plexiglass frame with insulation suffice?

• Members

I'm planning a similar project for my basement. There are a lot of good resources on the web, at the Auralex site, and other places. A good book on this subject is called Keep The Peace! Basically, though, effective solutions are costly, both for materials and labor, and installation must be done very carefully by someone who knows what they're doing. Good luck.:)

• Members

Labor will not be a problem as I will be doing all myself. It won't be a half ass job either. I researched Owens Corning and they offer a product called quietzone that fits between 2x4 or 2x6 post framing. Hardy backer and fiberglass panels would be nice also but the fiberglass boards are pricey. I youtubed a bunch of soundproofing ideas and materials last night and found some pretty useful information. I plan on bulding a 2x4 frame with drywall and the quietzone insulation and for the one window I have a have 2" corkboard that will sandwich a quietzone batt that will be used to make an insulation panel. Carpeted walls are my plans for the interior.

• Members

Before you buy any QuietZone, you may want to look at this discussion:

http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Archive/Alt/alt.home.repair/2005-11/msg03220.html

Also, if I understand correctly, your plan is to build a 2X4 stud wall, fill it with insulation, and cover it with cork or carpet. The problem is that the studs will act as sound conductors from one side of the wall to the other. You need to build a staggered-stud wall to decouple the two sides of the wall.

A good guide to soundproofing, which explains how to do this and much more, is here:http://www.soundproofing101.com/index.htm

• Members

some thoughts:

If your primary objective is to not piss your neighbors off, you may not have to totally soundproof your room....unless you live in a condo, that is. If you are in a single family home, you may find that if you soundproof enough to bring the volume down to the level of a moderately (I said moderately) loud TV, the neighbors may be able to live with that.

The number one rule of soundproofing is to seal all air leaks. You may want to consider buying some 1/2" to 3/4" plywood and cut it to cover your windows with a 2" overlap. Use foam weatherstripping as a gasket along the edges where the plywood meets the wall, and use 8 screws to fasten the plywood over the openings. Use the same weatherstripping around the sealing edges of the door.

The other consideration is to treat the room with acoustic foam or other treatments to balance the response of the room and control 'standing waves'. If your room is too 'live', you'll get spots where no matter how hard you bash your floor tom, or kick your bass drum, you won't hear it at all. By covering three of the six surfaces in the room with some kind of sound absorbant material, you will eliminate this problem, and you won't have to play as loud to hear everything and everyone, thus reducing the need for brute force soundproofing. This is something a lot of folks don't consider.

Of course, if you're playing death metal, or your neighbors are on the other side of the wall or ceiling or floor, then you pretty much have to build that room within a room to keep everyone happy.

Hope this was helpful. Merry Christmas!

• Members

Before you buy any QuietZone, you may want to look at this discussion:

Also, if I understand correctly, your plan is to build a 2X4 stud wall, fill it with insulation, and cover it with cork or carpet. The problem is that the studs will act as sound conductors from one side of the wall to the other. You need to build a staggered-stud wall to decouple the two sides of the wall.

A good guide to soundproofing, which explains how to do this and much more, is here:

I did read something similar but I might go with the quietzone anyway because I dont't want it to be crazy hot in the room and have already checked about ordering. Won't be much of a difference as I won't need much. I will use ply wood on the one window inside the room. The wall I build will have offset posts to dampen as much as possible. Right now I'm getting my measurements together to see how much space I have to work with and will my end result be comfortable and reduce sound. I'll start a thread soon after the holidays with my ongoing progress.

• Members

I'm not sure on materials, but yeah, the best thing would be to put up 2x4 frames, fill the gap with dense fiberglass, and put up another layer of sheetrock. A lot of studios have a floating floor but I have no idea if that's necessary.

• Members

Where are the windows? Where is the door? Any closets in the room?

Any chance you could sketch it out, somehow, so that any real designers--and those of us frustrated designers who love to do the work, have had some success, but shy away from calling ourselves 'designers', might all pitch in a little, maybe come up with something neither you nor someone else has thought of.

• Members

Save it as a .jpg or a .gif. Upload it to a free image hosting site, then when you make a post here, click on the little yellow icon just above the text box--the one that looks like a mountain postcard--and type in the address of the image at the hosting site.

Archived