Anyone else chomp on some gum while they play?

fesswrx

• Members

I have been doing this for years, I never really thought much of it since I chew gum a lot anyway (throw back to my baseball days I guess). Anyway, I had a gig Saturday night and after our set the drummer for the next band asked me if I chewing gum while playing helps me keep time. It got me thinking that it does. I watched the video of us playing the next day and my chomping was perfectly in time :lol:

• Members

I remember one time when I was in high school (loooooooooooong ago) chomping on a piece of gum while playing. I also happened to have MAJOR cottonmouth at the time from...well...I just did. ;) Anyway, I ended up with a soupy, gummy mess by the end of our set. Must have mentally turned me off from chewing gum while playing.

• Members

No, because I've grown to HATE gum chewing. I'm making a sweeping generalization here, but the vast majority of people that chew gum do it with their mouth open, masticating loudly, popping, smacking, and generally irritating the hell out of me. Absolutely disgusting habit...unless you're a cow. There is no reasong to open mouth chew unless you have sinus issues- otherwise you're just ignorant.

Did I come off too harsh?

• Members

I always chew gum while I play. It just calms me and relaxes me while I'm doing what I do. I'm not a cow chomping on grass with a slack jaw, just chewing gum.

On Thursday night, actually, a VERY attractive young woman approached me after the set and said "So you can chew gum while drumming like that? Is there anything you can't do?" :thu: She was hot. That went well.

• Members

I chew Nicorette while playing, because even though I quit smoking 2 years ago, certain situations still make me feel like smoking, and a club is one of them.(and I don't care if I look stupid chewing gum, because I looked a hell of a lot stupider smoking!!)

• Members

I always chew gum while I play. It just calms me and relaxes me while I'm doing what I do. I'm not a cow chomping on grass with a slack jaw, just chewing gum.

This is exactly what I think as well. I guess I should have been more clear and used "chew" instead of "chop". I don't chop like a cow does on cud, just normal gum chewing. I was just surprised someone else brought it up but he was a drummer and probably spent much of our set watching what I was doing, what are the chances anyone else in the crowd even noticed or cared?

• Members

No, because I've grown to HATE gum chewing. I'm making a sweeping generalization here, but the vast majority of people that chew gum do it with their mouth open, masticating loudly, popping, smacking, and generally irritating the hell out of me. Absolutely disgusting habit...unless you're a cow. There is no reasong to open mouth chew unless you have sinus issues- otherwise you're just ignorant.

You have a definite hyper-sensitivity issue. Any little noise or squeek or anything high-pitched...basically anything that normal human beings can't possibley hear in their day to day lives...you hear it. You are probably irratated a lot, aren't you? Think about it. I should say, normal people can hear these things too, but the difference is, they don't focus on it like you do.

I chew my gum like a 16 year-old school girl when I play. When I'm not playing, I keep my mouth shut while chewing. Except if the gum is exceptionally super juicey and yummy.

• Members

Not to sound like a dick or anything but have you seen the faces some musicians make while playing (guitarist/drummers)? I really doubt my gum chewing is any worse :poke:

If you can find me one person who can say that Stevie Ray Vaughan was any less of a guitarist because of the hideous contortions he did with his face while playing, I'll show you an idiot.

• Members

The question is...have you done a real scientific analysis here to determine whether your statement is true? It seems to me that maybe you only notice the ones who chew like cows. You might not even be noticing the ones who chew gum like civilized....WAIT!!!! Why am I indulging this?

• Members

The question is...have you done a real scientific analysis here to determine whether your statement is true? It seems to me that maybe you only notice the ones who chew like cows. You might not even be noticing the ones who chew gum like civilized....WAIT!!!! Why am I indulging this?

Sorry for the rant...

• Members

You have a definite hyper-sensitivity issue. Any little noise or squeek or anything high-pitched...basically anything that normal human beings can't possibley hear in their day to day lives...you hear it. You are probably irratated a lot, aren't you? Think about it. I should say, normal people can hear these things too, but the difference is, they don't focus on it like you do.

I chew my gum like a 16 year-old school girl when I play. When I'm not playing, I keep my mouth shut while chewing. Except if the gum is exceptionally super juicey and yummy.

I think you're right...crunching is a bit annoying too. I wish I could ignore it, but it literally kills my focus and concentration to hear people chew with their mouth open. I guess this should have been posted on the OC forum... Sorry!

• Members

well, me myself, at times I have to sing, so the gum gets in the way. Nothing like breaking the mood as to choke on a piece of gum while you face is in a mic. Another thing, I like my tongue and during a fast song chewing gum, I could easily bite my tongue off. So I will pass on the gum chewing..

• Members

At a Cook-out Party I played a few songs with just my feet while I ate BBQ ribs , people noticed but didn't seem to mind , the ribs were really really good and I think they understood my reluctance to put down my plate when our next set started.

you are quite possibly my new favourite drummer

• Members

I think you're right...crunching is a bit annoying too. I wish I could ignore it, but it literally kills my focus and concentration to hear people chew with their mouth open. I guess this should have been posted on the OC forum... Sorry!

Well to be honest witcha, I am not a huge fan of massive crunching and wide open mouth chewing and spitting either. When I witness this stuff, I usually laugh embarrassingly (

yapickinupwhatimthrowingdown???? :)

Archived