Single Stroke Roll

irnbru83

• Members

I believe the answer you were looking for was something resembling use more fingers. the thread sorta spurred off into practice technique which is all great stuff but if you want to be able to not hit the plateau or at least prolong it from hitting you do need to either add more fingers into the combination of finger/wrist/forearm motion u are using or add in something like moehler.

the reason is simple (though its hard to achieve). the smaller the muscle group the faster it can move but the quicker it burns out. you probably knew this but its important to remember. so if you add in more finger into your stroke at high speeds you can go faster and over time the fingers strengthen and you can do it longer and and at greater stick heights if you wish.

now you also said you don't use moehler. the concept behind strokes like this (see Secret Weapons for the Modern Drummer - jojo mayer) is that you maximize the gift physics is giving you and let the energy you put into the stick be utilized to the fullest extent possible. by learning to control this you can become insanely fast (this takes a looong time to master but watch jojo and see him apply it IN CONTEXT AND MUSICALLY and realize why you might want to put the time in)

I don't know if this helps or was just a lot of text to read through but either way its a thought.

• Members

I believe the answer you were looking for was something resembling use more fingers. the thread sorta spurred off into practice technique which is all great stuff but if you want to be able to not hit the plateau or at least prolong it from hitting you do need to either add more fingers into the combination of finger/wrist/forearm motion u are using or add in something like moehler.

the reason is simple (though its hard to achieve). the smaller the muscle group the faster it can move but the quicker it burns out. you probably knew this but its important to remember. so if you add in more finger into your stroke at high speeds you can go faster and over time the fingers strengthen and you can do it longer and and at greater stick heights if you wish.

now you also said you don't use moehler. the concept behind strokes like this (see Secret Weapons for the Modern Drummer - jojo mayer) is that you maximize the gift physics is giving you and let the energy you put into the stick be utilized to the fullest extent possible. by learning to control this you can become insanely fast (this takes a looong time to master but watch jojo and see him apply it IN CONTEXT AND MUSICALLY and realize why you might want to put the time in)

I don't know if this helps or was just a lot of text to read through but either way its a thought.

Standard interjection here. Doing things the JJ way will yield a very narrow band of musical control. That is, Jojo has optimized the sweet spots of standard Moeller pumping. Cool as far as that goes but musically limited.

Archived