Dream theater Sheet music or Tab

lalapancakes

• Members

I'm starting to learn Panic Attack by Dream Theater. Ive been able just to listen to a lot of it and learn it by ear but I'm getting stuck to the point where I think I need to start finding some tab or sheet music. Anyone know where I could find any?

• Members

It may be transcribed somewhere, but I haven't seen it. It's not as though Portnoy writes it all out or anything. I'd expect the mechanics of execution to be a bigger challenge than figuring out the part. Is there a particular phrase or passage that has you especially befuddled?

• Members

I'm not a fan either. Some of Pridgen's drumming caught my spirit but thats about it. I regularly take shots at the progressive genre though. I find it comical how they expend so much energy trying stay on awesome and dramatic and usually just produce walls of irrelevance. Way on, then more on, makes for lousy music.

End hijack.

• Members

That's a great tune. I love the bass intro.

I don't know of any transcriptions of Panic Attack. I do know that in Modern Drummers Drum Gods II magazine and in the book On The Beaten Path, both offer some insight into Mike Portnoy's approaches to odd time, favorite double bass licks and how to play the rhythms in Pull Me Under, Home and Caught in a Web. Another avenue you may consider is buying the concert DVD Chaos In Motion. I think the second tune is Panic Attack. Probably gotta play that one early in the set.

• Members

That's a great tune. I love the bass intro.

I don't know of any transcriptions of Panic Attack. I do know that in Modern Drummers Drum Gods II magazine and in the book On The Beaten Path, both offer some insight into Mike Portnoy's approaches to odd time, favorite double bass licks and how to play the rhythms in Pull Me Under, Home and Caught in a Web. Another avenue you may consider is buying the concert DVD Chaos In Motion. I think the second tune is Panic Attack. Probably gotta play that one early in the set.

Hmm thanks for the info I will look into those things fer sure.

Archived