Spring Tension

Miskatonic

• Members

When using the pedal, should it be assisting my foot for the most part on the way up, or do I have to consciously lift up with my leg somewhat to bring the pedal back to the initial position?

I purchased a heavy duty spring for my Axis single pedal because I have the normal one maxed out and it still isn't really helping to assist my foot in getting back into the initial position. I'm a big guy so the weight of my leg can depress the pedal halfway with it just resting on there. :mad:

• Members

The pedal isn't supposed to propel your foot/leg up mate, you still need to lift your foot up, the spring tension is about providing resistance when you depress the foot-board, although having said that the tension assists the beater to return to the relaxed position.

It's all about foot control and developing your technique, eg, heel up toe down, or whole foot or a combination.

Where you place your foot on the foot-board, toe hard up against the top, in the centre or slightly at the rear of the foot-board.

You just need to keep practicing and you will develop a technique that suits you just right, but you definitely need to lift your foot up...the spring tension isn't supposed to be capable of "pushing" your leg up.

Your, toe/foot will stay put lightly on the foot-board on the way up with good old practice mate.:thu: Hope this makes sense.:wave:

• Members

Thanks, it makes plenty of sense. :)

Just a new feeling since I haven't been practicing more than a week and am trying to get things right so I don't have that sort of double beat thing going where the beater hits the practice pad, then moves back an inch or so and hits again as I'm actually trying to complete another stroke of the beater.

Practice makes perfect. Anything that makes your muscles feel weird or different and fatigue you tends to get you thinking that you might be doing something wrong, but in this case I probably just need time to adapt.

I feel I have the best control/power when my toes are slightly above the Axis logo which is around the middle of the pedal.

• Members

The setup is the most critical thing about it. The metal guys use a short throw and radius so they can moraless flutter the pedal. Kinda like the toy action you get on keyboards. If you use a long stroke and radius you can use a smoother foot technique and basically have more musical range and resolution. Try a non adjustable single pedal for a reference.

Archived