Chromotrons Rejoice

1001gear

• Members

Yes, I'm sure that the user will never have to worry about viruses or malware. Uh huh.

As long as men (and some women) are surfing the net for free pr0n, there will always be malware and the occasional virus.

• Members

Yeah, I read about this earlier today. I am usually not one to dabble with operating systems, but I think I seriously might give this thing a whirl...

As long as men (and some women) are surfing the net for free pr0n, there will always be malware and the occasional virus.

Aw, then I'm {censored}ed.

:poke: :facepalm::wave::cop:

• Members

Yes, I'm sure that the user will never have to worry about viruses or malware. Uh huh.

no man, it's all about who's writing the malware/viruses. Since the vast majority of computers run on windows, malware writers don't bother with writing for other systems. That's how Mac gets away with advertising being more secure. It's not that it's more secure (there are actually more security holes in the Mac OS), but nobody writes malware for Macs. Same deal with open source systems, like Linux and [soon] Chrome. It's just not worth their while for the malware writers to write for operating systems that only about 1% of computers use.

I'm a Linux user, myself, and I'm a huge supporter of Open Source--think of OS programmers as the hippies of the computer science world :p

• Members

I would've jumped in sooner , but I don't really know what's going on , I'm trying to learn more about computer technology , but I'm really slow w/ this stuff.

So an OS would be like WindowsXP or Vista? And google's busting out w/ a new form of OS? Can't be a bad thing...right?

Evil or not , Google is definitely a part of the evolution of marketplace , but god knows where the whole thing is headed.

what does "instant on" mean?

• Members

Yeah, the operating system is like XP, Vista, or Mac OSX. It is what all your programs run off of, and likewise your programs need to be compatible with whatever OS you're using. This was a problem between Widows and Mac for a while, but their both so widely used now that major software is produced for both.

There are other OSes, too, though most are for specific purposes. For instance, Sun (the makers of Java) has an OS that is used a lot for science labs for their data processing and so on.

Another OS is Linux, which is an open source (also referred to as "OS") operating system (would that make it an OSOS? :p)

People use different OSes for different reasons. For instance, I went to Linux because I like the open source philosophy (the source code for the programs and operating systems is available for anybody to edit for their own purposes) and because I don't like Windows. Linux is a smaller OS than the Windows OSes, and I like using it better.

I imagine that the Chrome OS will be similar in that it has less going on on the screen (much like the Chrome web browser). I'm hoping that they have some neat innovations incorporating the web into how we use the computer, too. They said they were designing it with the fact in mind that most of our computing experience revolves around the internet now; it should be interesting to see what they come up with.

I don't know what "instant on" means

Archived