Your Views on Erskine

BenG

• Members

Peter Erskine. I had always respected the name, dug his sticks, but never really listened to him. After today, my drumming will forever change.

I love how crisp, fluent, and comfortable he looks and sounds behind the kit.

These following videos were the real kickers for me really digging his style. Anybody know if they're a part of a certain Video of his or anything?

[YOUTUBE]p8FMXjaZ4ak[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]oaZBQRNHulQ[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]liNve1TPhW8[/YOUTUBE]

What does Peter Erskine mean to you?

• Members

I first heard of Erskine in the early '90s when a friend leant me one of his teaching videos (can't remember which one). At the time, I didn't play drums although I was heavily into programming and his video changed the way I created grooves.

It was just one little bit in the video where he talked about adding slight swing to the 16th notes of a funk groove, so that the ghost notes had a little swing. Suddenly, I heard it in all the great Funk Drummers I liked: Stubblefield, Starks, Modeliste etc. It explained why a lot of their patterns sounded awful when programmed - quantise killed them. It also helped me to remedy the situation by shifting certain notes to get that swing.

I got to see Erskine in Concert a few years ago. Unfortunately, it was in the context of playing within an orchestra. Some of the music was OK, but he didn't really get to stretch out. He did play a solo, but I'm not a huge fan of extended solos. I love his playing, though.

There's a good brush lesson with him on the Vic Firth site (education section). I also picked up his drum fills book recently. A bit disappointing. If you've totally new to drums then there's a lot to be gleaned, but so much of the material has been covered in basic fills books that can be picked up much cheaper. Thankfully, I didn't pay too much for it. Plus, there were one or two pages of really cool stuff that was new to me.

Erskine Rocks! Er, swings...

• Members

One of my biggest influences for sure, so incredibly dynamic and clean. If you don't own the Hudson project DVD I highly recommend it, also his trio DVD from 91. I got the chance to see him clinic KUs big band a few years ago. His signature ride sticks are my favorite by far, they bring out the sweetest tones while making smaller pies more rideable.

• Members

I met and worked with Peter Erskine when he was with the Kenton band when he came to Towson for the Stan Kenton clinic. Great player and a super nice guy. back then he had good chops (not blazing) but his ideas were remarkable...very fluid indeed...

Archived