I'm looking for a drum machine

sideshowlinc

• Members

I'm not interested in house, techno, dance, any of that, I'm wanting to create trip hop/hip hop/funk style beats, and not spend 4 hours tryna figure out how to do it. And I don't wanna spend a {censored}load. Something

I'm looking at perhaps one of the following:

Roland DR- range

Korg ER-1/EM-1/ES-1

Boss Dr. Groove DR-202

Am I looking in the right place? Or should I check out something different?

Thanks

• Members

I got my em-1 for $80.

it's a great tool, but you're limited to 16th note resolution (with adjustable shuffle.)

If you want to nudge stuff to tweak the feel that's not the one then.

I had a yamaha RM1X for a coupla years, it's a very powerful sequencer but hard to learn and the onboard sounds are lacking-- best to use it to run a module or sampler.

• Members

If it's just for recording, then I'd run a VST drum program with the sequencer of a DAW. Trigger it all from a MIDI controller/keyboard: that will allow you to intuitively tap in rhythms.

Addictive Drums have a fully functional demo version of their software, available as a free download. Cheap, secondhand controller isn't going to cost much...

http://www.xlnaudio.com/?page=products&p_page=audio

• Members

If it's just for recording, then I'd run a VST drum program with the sequencer of a DAW. Trigger it all from a MIDI controller/keyboard: that will allow you to intuitively tap in rhythms.

Addictive Drums have a fully functional demo version of their software, available as a free download. Cheap, secondhand controller isn't going to cost much...

id probably just rather one unit that does everything instead of having to plug something up to my computer.

are there units that allow you to do both? as in, use it as a standalone drum machine and then also use it as a MIDI controller?

• Members

id probably just rather one unit that does everything instead of having to plug something up to my computer.

are there units that allow you to do both? as in, use it as a standalone drum machine and then also use it as a MIDI controller?

The 'drum machine' is a software program that you install in the 'VST/plugins' folder of your recording software (DAW). You allocate it a MIDI track and then it can be controlled via a keyboard/controller. The drum software contains all the samples and will be more versatile, and sound more realistic, than any drum machine.

If you use the free demo I mentioned - only kick, snare, hi hat and a single crash, but that's 95% of most drummers' playing covered right there - plus a modest controller (if it's only for drums, you don't need a full-size keyboard, you can get away with only an octave or two in range), then this could work out very cheap for you. The MIDI keyboard/controller interfaces with your dedicated soundcard. If you don't have one, then you should as computer soundcards sound crap and are often noisy (crosstalk is a common problem).

• Members

i may sound like a dumbass but that sounds a bit too complicated for what I'm looking for...

It's not, really. Just a short keyboard (one octave min) or button type controller plugged into your computer. Yes, you're going to have to spend a little time reading manuals to find out how to set it up, but once it's done that's it: plug in and play.

Your computer has more memory and offers more versatility than any drum machine can offer; and drum ROMPLERs sound so much better (they sample real drums many, many times to get differences in timbre and volume).

For the sake of an hour or two setting it up, you're happy with an inferior piece of crap?

• Members

They are a good tool, but you will never be abel to sell music with generic beats. Especially if you want to do commercial work, you'd do better hiring a drummer friend to come in, and lay down every beat he knows, pay him, and use them as samples.

I'm pretty sure it was the B52s, but one group around that time used to use the presets on their drum machine for their recordings. They'd just hit play, jam and, once they'd sorted out the detail, record.

Also, Phil Collins used one of the Linn presets on a record (Feel it Coming in the Air Tonight?). It was a latin thing and he slowed it right down, then played along with it.

Having said that, working with sampled drums is much better IMO. (I preferred the junk in the 90s to the junk in the 80s)

• Members

there's something about having a dedicated piece of hardware. Over the past 5 years I've used my EM-1 way more than I've used my (legit, purchased) Reason. Reason is infinitely more powerful but that's not always helpful.

With the EM-1 I'm up and running in seconds, and I can go from zero to beat in less time than it takes to set up a mixer, redrum and pick a soundset in Reason.

• Members

It's not, really. Just a short keyboard (one octave min) or button type controller plugged into your computer. Yes, you're going to have to spend a little time reading manuals to find out how to set it up, but once it's done that's it: plug in and play.

Your computer has more memory and offers more versatility than any drum machine can offer; and drum ROMPLERs sound so much better (they sample real drums many, many times to get differences in timbre and volume).

For the sake of an hour or two setting it up, you're happy with an inferior piece of crap?

ok you make a fair point, could you just tell me any examples of this type of unit?

• Members

ok you make a fair point, could you just tell me any examples of this type of unit?

Try Googling "MIDI controller" and see what takes your fancy. One of the first links I came across was for the Korg Nano Pad. It seems to be set up for drums:

The nanoPAD features 12 highly responsive trigger pads, also capable of sending both notes and MIDI control data, plus an X-Y pad with roll and flam functions giving you a unique interface for realistic drum programming.

I've never used it, so can't vouch for it. Read some reviews. Ask around (make sure it's going to do what you want). Look for similar products.

Most controllers are simply MIDI keyboards with velocity-sensitive keys. You can buy short, one-to-two octave dedicated controllers. An example would be:

Link

You're probably better off asking for advice in the keyboard or recording forum (the last couple of years I've been recording actual drums, so I'm not up to scratch on the technology).

The latest generation of controllers seem to be USB, in which case it would (presumably) just plug into your computer. Not sure how it plumbs in to work with your DAW, but these things usually come with software to make it happen.

From there onwards, you have to look for some suitable software to provide the drum samples. Like I said, the Addictive Drums demo is totally free and excellent. Although there's no ride sample on the demo, there is an open hi-hat sample played on the bell, which works remarkable well as a sub. The pitch of the snare can be shifted up/down, too, which gives slight variation in kit sound (can get a decent piccolo drum simulation). If you have the cash, there are many excellent products out there. BFD2 sounds good, going by the samples. EZ drummer isn't bad.

Whatever you choose it gets put in your VST/plugins folder in the work station software you use. It's then simply a case of firing up the studio, assigning the 'instrument' (your drum software) to a MIDI track and then you're set to go. You'll have to map out the controller to trigger the samples you wish it to control, but all that should be explained in the help section of your controller bundle. OK, it's a pain to set up this stuff, but there are usually forums to help you (run by the manufacturer), plus tutorials, plus help sections. Eventually, when it's all done, you can just forget about it and get on with making music.

Edit: also worth considering is an e-kit to act as a controller. Buy a couple of sticks and you can input patterns that way to get a realistic feel. Don't have the coordination? You will with time; meanwhile, layer parts of the kit a track at a time.

• Members

Try Googling "MIDI controller" and see what takes your fancy. One of the first links I came across was for the
Korg Nano Pad
. It seems to be set up for drums:

The nanoPAD features 12 highly responsive trigger pads, also capable of sending both notes and MIDI control data, plus an X-Y pad with roll and flam functions giving you a unique interface for realistic drum programming.

I've never used it, so can't vouch for it. Read some reviews. Ask around (make sure it's going to do what you want). Look for similar products.

Most controllers are simply MIDI keyboards with velocity-sensitive keys. You can buy short, one-to-two octave dedicated controllers. An example would be:

You're probably better off asking for advice in the keyboard or recording forum (the last couple of years I've been recording actual drums, so I'm not up to scratch on the technology).

The latest generation of controllers seem to be USB, in which case it would (presumably) just plug into your computer. Not sure how it plumbs in to work with your DAW, but these things usually come with software to make it happen.

From there onwards, you have to look for some suitable software to provide the drum samples. Like I said, the Addictive Drums demo is totally free and excellent. Although there's no ride sample on the demo, there is an open hi-hat sample played on the bell, which works remarkable well as a sub. The pitch of the snare can be shifted up/down, too, which gives slight variation in kit sound (can get a decent piccolo drum simulation). If you have the cash, there are many excellent products out there. BFD2 sounds good, going by the samples. EZ drummer isn't bad.

Whatever you choose it gets put in your VST/plugins folder in the work station software you use. It's then simply a case of firing up the studio, assigning the 'instrument' (your drum software) to a MIDI track and then you're set to go. You'll have to map out the controller to trigger the samples you wish it to control, but all that should be explained in the help section of your controller bundle. OK, it's a pain to set up this stuff, but there are usually forums to help you (run by the manufacturer), plus tutorials, plus help sections. Eventually, when it's all done, you can just forget about it and get on with making music.

Edit: also worth considering is an e-kit to act as a controller. Buy a couple of sticks and you can input patterns that way to get a realistic feel. Don't have the coordination? You will with time; meanwhile, layer parts of the kit a track at a time.

That does sound pretty cool. The thing is I would probably also like something that I could use live, but then I might just end up taking my whole laptop.

This may be something you can't answer, but I'm looking into getting an Alesis Micron, would you know if I could use this as a MIDI controller for the drum programs you're talking about? Because if I could then that would be fantastic as I could essentially kill 2 birds with one stone

• Members

This may be something you can't answer, but I'm looking into getting an
, would you know if I could use this as a MIDI controller for the drum programs you're talking about? Because if I could then that would be fantastic as I could essentially kill 2 birds with one stone

On the face of it, yes it can be used. There's a PDF file which you can download from that page and it has all the MIDI details towards the end of the document. It wasn't clear whether it has 16 MIDI channels and each channel uses the whole range of keys, or if it only can control from 16 keys. This stuff has always been gibberish to me, so probably best to ask in the keyboard forum.

It doesn't look as though it's a USB device, though. In which case, you'd need to plug into a dedicated soundcard with MIDI function using a MIDI lead. If you're recording, you'll need a decent soundcard anyway as the things you get in computers are totally sh*t - poor digital-to-analogue conversion and there's often digital background noise - so that shouldn't be an issue.

You can also get VST 'analogue' synths: plugins, like the drum program. Computer Music magazine give away a handful with their cover CD, and they can also be found online as free downloads (most of the time). Some are amazing (can produce stuff like the demo on the page you linked to...minus the drum stuff).

Archived