What albums most influenced you as a drummer?

akaiser77

• Members

albums or songs that inspired to start playing drums or one's that inspired us after we began drumming because they opened doors for us as drummers????

One's that really made me want to play:
Journey -Captured, I was a Journey fan and to hear the great drums in the arena and the crowd go wild was awesome. The rock songs, the solos etc, sparked my inner rock god wannabe!

Kansas-Play the Game tonight, I liked Kansas and wanted to see them live, it was that tour and so I bought the album and loved it. Their music always has this theatrical element to it without sounding cheesy or overdone. Sadly this CD is out of print and has not been remastered. I've found it on Amazon used for $78! but the comments all say that the sound quality is not that good as the album is from 82'
Edit Add, Album was Viynl Confessions, Play the Game was the first song, I saw the tour in 82' and was awesome

Gary Wright-Dream Weaver, My dad loved this album and played the crap out of it growing up. It is all keyboard and synth music except for Jim Keltner's drums (and guitar on one song) then I really started listening to the songs and drums and I was hooked. I'll close there for now............

Edit Add: Phil Collins-Face Value, Wore out the cassette to this. Hugh Padgham produced big drum sound and timeless songs, is even a nice cover of Tomorow Never knows on it. This turns me onto Genesis-Abacab and worked my way backwards from there.

• Members

Sort of chronological...
Beatles (Meet the Beatles)
Sandy Nelson (let there Be Drums)
Who (Tommy)
Frank Zappa (everything from 70-73)
Emerson Lake and Palmer (1st album)
King Crimson everything 68-74
Yes ( Yessongs)
Mahavishnu Orchestra (inner mounting flame)
Captain Beyond (1st album)
long break...nothing interested me that much after hearing Mahavishnu...
Dream Theater (woke me back up from the deep slumber)
Terry Bozzio DVD

• Members

zep- houses, 4, song remains the same

iron maiden- powerslave, piece of mind

doors- any

the band, any

j geils band, any before "freeze-frame."

police- any

dokken- back for the attack, tooth and nail

metallica- kill 'em all, through ...and justice

anthrax- among the living, sound of white noise, state of euphoria

slayer- south, reign, god hates

the mars volta- deloused, frances, about 50% of the new stuff (with thomas)

blind melon- soup, not that stupid "bee" song/album.

squirrel nut zippers- perennial favs

zappa- pick 20, or so.

i'm sure there are more.

J Geils Band !! I got ready to list them but thought most here would

only remember the Centerfold era.

Full House, Bloodshot, Blow Your Face Out, they were kickin.

I saw them live a few times at the Spectrum in Philly and they always killed.

• Members

J Geils Band !! I got ready to list them but thought mose here would remember the Centerfold area.

Back in the Full House, Bloodshot, Blow Your Face Out, they were kickin.

I saw them live a few times at the Spectrum in Philly and they always killed.

right??! the only thing i dug from freeze frame was, "insane, insane again." pretty good writing on that one. never saw them live, tho. must've been great.

• Members

Like has been mentioned on this thread already, to list all of the albums that have influenced me would be just a repetition somewhat of what has already been entered. I CAN, however , give a few, and my reasons for......

The Tommy Dorsey Orchestra ' I'm Gettin Sentimental Over You/ The Glen Miller Orchestra w/ Ray McKinley on Drums: I know, ....huh? Let me explain. I remember round about the time I was 11 or 12, and my dad had a rather eclectic album collection. One night, I'm up from the basement, and I hear this WILD pounding coming out of the stereo speakers, I asked ' what's that?' my dad says ' Tommy Dorsey's band doing ' Hawaiian War Chant/ Quiet Please , Its the Drummer and Me'. Buddy Rich was on drums, and I was transfixed. I ended up playing more of his jazz stuff than he did. The Glen Miller album with Ray McKinley is fabulous, McKinley's style really opens up the tight arrangements of the Miller book and the songs actually swing.

- The First Boston Album...Fast forward to the Summer of 1976. I 'd been playing drums for roughly a year and a bit, and some of the noise I was making was finally starting to make sense. I went over to a friends house (he's passed on now) and he told me ' you GOTTA hear this album' . I'm looking at the cover, its a painting of a guitar in space...uh huh...then, he drops the needle on ' More Than A Feeling'....You can know now because that song and most of that album are radio staples, but it was like a bomb went off. We must have played that album beginning to end all afternoon, and first thing I did was got my allowance and paper money and went to Sam's and got my own copy. I had the Beatles Red and Blue albums by now, but that was the first ' modern ' rock album I bought on my own. It was also the first album I learned how to play , beginning to end. Sib Hashian is a solid, if journeyman type of player, but his fills and accents do the job, and I saw in last month's Modern Drummer he's finally Resurfaced with another band. To this day , I can't play that CD and not think of 1976. I swear its probably part of my DNA with all the repeated listens.

Shorter List of other influences:

Steve Miller Band : Fly Like An Eagle

First 5 Genesis Albums, Trick Of The Tail

Yes: Fragile/ Close To The Edge

Deep Purple: In Rock, Machine Head, Burn, Stormbringer

Toto: First album, Hydra, Toto 4

Gino Vanelli: Brother To Brother/ Powerful People

Any Classic Stax

Kansas: Any of their catalogue up to Audio Visions.

Styx: Styx 1, 2, Serpent Is Rising, Man Of Miracles, Equinox.

The Police: Synchronicity.

Trillion: They only released one album but its great.

Anyway, that's a partial listing, any more would be a novel.

:thu::thu:PEACE:thu::thu:

EDIT ADD: I left out Supertramp's ' Crime Of The Century' , with Bob C. Benburg on drums and Dougie Thompson on bass...a VASTLY underrated Rhythm section, if you ask me......

• Members
As not to have too long a list, here are my top five or six:

You Make The Heat-The Producers-Brian Holmes

Get The Knack-The Knack-Bruce Gary

Ghost In The Machine-The Police-Stewart Copeland

Scarecrow-Joh Mellencamp-Kenny Aronoff

Parallel Lines-Blondie-Clem Burke

Sydfan I would pick your top two also! Bryan Holmes was awesome and got great sounds on all the Producer's records. She Sheila is a fantastic tune just for the opening fill! That first Knack album had so many songs besides My Sharonna like Good Girls Don't :) Only a handful of people here probably have heard these great records which is a shame. Great power pop drumming!

• Members

Led Zeppelin - "Led Zeppelin III"

Red Hot Chili Peppers - "Blood Sugar Sex Magik"

Pearl Jam - "Ten" Cool little kick drum and hi-hat fills all over this thing (and Vs.).

Blink-182 - "Enema of the State" I'm gonna take some crap for this one...appropriate name I guess. Before this album pop punk was very straight ahead. This threw a little math rock into the equation. (puns intended)

Nirvana - "Nevermind"

AC/DC - "Back in Black" I've been told I hold time like a metronome. I have this album to thank.

I'm sure there are more...

• Members

Rage Against the Machine - Self Titled and the rest of the discography

Tool - Aenima

Rainbow - Rising

Jimi Hendrix - Axis: Bold as Love

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magic

Pearl Jam - Ten

Alice in Chains - Dirt

Soundgarden - Down on the Upside

Extreme - Waiting for the Punchline

Incubus - S.C.I.E.N.C.E.

Our Lady Peace - Clumsy and Naveed

These were the albums that inspired my drumming in the beginning, and more recently:

Audioslave - Revelations

Alter Bridge - Blackbird

Dream Theater - Train of Thought

Archived