Hey, New Zealand Guys...

cdawg

• Members

i see a couple of you, step in here and clue me into your music scene. i don't know anything about NZ, so clue me in a little.

giggin' any good? other cities? decent fan support/appreciation?

any gig pix/ other pix?

lemmie know!

:wave:

• Members

New Zealand is 'buzzing" with bands, musicians. The scene here appears to get better every year.

Once upon a time if you wanted to play for a living without "making it big", you had to play everything from a wedding march through to rock...and everything in between.

Versatile was the key.

These days with the global community ever closer through the net etc you can be more selective with your musical niche.

The music scene is pretty damn good really when you think about our isolation from the rest of the world.

Our "big name" artists don't take long to hit the states or australia as NZ is too small to sustain them.

There are three main cities, Auckland (our largest), Wellington (our capital), Chrsitchurch (known as the garden city).

Population of NZ is roughly 4 million, with about 1.2 million of that in Auckland.

The rest of us are spread around a country that is largely volcanic, and some of the most stunning mountain ranges in the world, stunning beach's, countryside and the best trout fishing in the world.

99.9% of us live within spitting distance of the coast, the climate is temperate and very unpredictable. Outdoor pursuits are our passion. Some would say we have the best rugby team in the world (not my opinion).

Peter Jackson (lord of the rings fame) lives down the road, and most of the films were shot here, King Kong was shot in and around my city Wellington.

um...what else, we are are very friendly and hospitable lot, and we speak with a funny accent

we compete savagely against the aussies, but would stand united shoulder to shoulder to fight an invading army...

probably easier to google pics of NZ than post them here mate, but my fellow kiwis may chime in later.

thanks for your interest. :wave:

• Members

Wow, i did go on there a bit.

The gigging is great in the main cities, not sure about the provinces, but "fishingprize" may be able to contribute more there.

Most musical tastes are catered for.

I've got a blues gig this Thursday night.

• Members

about how far from OZ is NZ? I guess OZ is about as close to any bigger cities as you get? I guess Hawaii would be about at least an 8 hour plane ride? Days are getting shorter and cooler here, where it must be getting warmer and longer days there? This is why I love the internet, get to meet great people or mates form all over. Are Kiwis in abundance there? the fruit I mean, is a very sweet fruit, is like a banana and pineapple mixed together and yummy!

• Members

about how far from OZ is NZ? I guess OZ is about as close to any bigger cities as you get? I guess Hawaii would be about at least an 8 hour plane ride? Days are getting shorter and cooler here, where it must be getting warmer and longer days there? This is why I love the internet, get to meet great people or mates form all over. Are Kiwis in abundance there? the fruit I mean, is a very sweet fruit, is like a banana and pineapple mixed together and yummy!

:lol: days are getting longer, Oz is roughly 2500km away, about 3hr flight. I guess it depends on your definition of big cities, but as our pop is only 4 mil, they are smaller cities by comparison.

Too much Kiwi fruit, you should try kiwi fruit wine if you like it? the true kiwi is a flightless bird, we re-branded chinese goosberrys (kiwifruit).

• Members

Ha!

I'll be back with more later, but the first thing that comes to mind is the difference between us and England. We're roughly the same size, but England has over ten times as many people, and therefore if you want to play music, you really need to be in one of the major cities to have much of a chance. I live in a city called Rotorua which is roughly 65,000 people and we have been looking for a guitarist and vocalist for almost a year now :)

Lately we have been getting a LOT of international bands coming here, both mainstream and underground, which is a good thing if you're like me and enjoy spending twenty minutes talking to some of your idols after they've played. About half of all big time international bands only play in Auckland (which is at the top end of the country, unfortunately) but the smaller bands will often do 3+ show tours here.

Until February, Iron Maiden hadn't visited for about 14 years!

It's dark right now, so I'm going to bed.

• Members

i don't know anything about NZ.

giggin' any good? other cities?

decent fan support/appreciation?

Here's something posted in an NZ punk/hardcore board when an American guy stopped in to say he was moving to NZ, kinda applies and is mostly true:

hey man, some words of advice, not to be taken the wrong way.... (im sure some on here will disagree wiv me as thats the way its goes.)

its gunna sound harsh but its advice many of my yank mates wish they had recieved.

Involves many gross generalisations, but totally founded in reality IMHO.

first of all - being a yank in NZ.

lower your voice. people in NZ dont talk as loud as most Americans seem too.

Talk less - we dont talk as much either. 'in America this and in America that' wont go down too well.

Don't ever talk about race relations, treaty of waitangi and all that {censored} like you know what your on about. you don't and probably never will. and all kinds of people have all kinds of different feelings on this topic in NZ, and having a foreigner stamping there opinion on matters really grinds most peoples gears. not that you shouldn't talk about it, just dont talk about it with authority. IMHO

Kiwis are very laid back compared to most yanks ive dealt with - they are extremely non-confrontational. this forum is extremely misleading in that regard. its takes a while to get to know someone well enough to disagree with you iin real life! we have a bad and prevailing habbit of listening to someone talk {censored}, smiling and agreeing with them - while really thinking 'wanker!' its a good thing in a lot of ways tho - keeps things congenial...

you'll see anyways....
:)

and being a skinhead - this may not be news to you as I'm sure America is fairly similar, but over here the mass population equates skinhead with neo-nazi/gangs. and so does the media. very few people understand the true roots and connotations of skinhead. so (and i know this sucks hard) if you dress like a hardcore skinhead (braces, rolled up jeans, boots n that) you may want to tone it down initially until you get a feel for how people respond... unfortunately this is a real bugger but otherwise most people you interact with will label you a racist. being a skin, you probably don't give a {censored} tho!

http://forums.punkas.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=55726

My hometown is where you'll probably end up coming if you ever travel here. Lots of touristy stuff, heaps of lakes and forests. As for gigging, my originals band will play most gigs out of town as the scene for our music is a lot bigger in the nearby cities Hamilton and Auckland. I play with a blues/rock band every Saturday night at a local bar, but right next door they have a REALLY good band who do old soul/classic rock covers so after we've played for a couple of hours we go next door!

Kiwifruit - can be green or golden (or other colours maybe?). Green is quite strong and bitter, golden is a lot more mellow and sweeter. I prefer the golden but they are much harder to come by.

The Maori language is used a lot, which is prettty cool. "wh" is pronounced as "f" and all vowels are pretty much the same as they would be in Japanese - so "Owhata" is said OAR-FAH-TA, "Taumaranui" - TOE-MA-RA-NOO-EE. say it quickly and roll the R.

Most genres are well covered here, there is a blues club in most towns, there has always been scenes for punk and metal, and stoner rock is gaining a lot of attention recently. Jazz is big in Wellington but I'm not sure about anywhere else. Personally I think a lot of the mainstream NZ music is rubbish, but that probably happens in every country. Here is some good music to check out

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

fishingprize, nice choice of vids mate. Jazz is still strong in Wellington, but other genres are well represented. the scene is pretty good down here IMO.

shame your in Rotorua, I'm pretty sure you would find a guitarist and vocalist in a heartbeat.

:)

• Members

that drum jam obvisiouly affected you mate....
:lol:
just said above
;)
I live in Wellington.
:thu::)

thanks for the warning...i saw the vid....I'll keep my back to the wall..
:lol:

you would need to shave first mate.....no offence, but I'm prone to a wee bit of chaffing with bearded men....
:facepalm:

well, you did type so many wirdz. sorry i missed that.:facepalm:

as for the back against the wall, more than one way to skin a cat...

i didn't shave for my wife, sorry, man. (she didn't shave her beard either, tho.)

Archived