Attack drumheads

Restore

• Members

I will second that, my sonor acrylics are in a lot better ship than most vistalites.

Early vistalites were known for coming apart at the seam until they added the tab. I don't remember if sonor even had a seam in the shell (pearl didn't). I also saw a comparison of 70's hardware between ludwig and sonor. Ludwig was almost laughable by compare.

• Members

Ludwig's vista's used to split due to the joining edge being bevelled incorrectly and combined with the adhesive they were using, they became unhinged regularly. Changing the bevel AND adhesive fixed it. The re-inforcing tabs being used now are unnecessary, but the manufacturer is different, and this is being used to address the "rumor" that these drums are fragile. It takes a lot to get a "forgotten" medium like acrylic drums popular again. The acrylics never quite got over the fragile stigma, and thats a shame. I've rarely played more responsive and balanced drums than those made of acrylic.

• Members

Ludwig's vista's used to split due to the joining edge being bevelled incorrectly and combined with the adhesive they were using, they became unhinged regularly. Changing the bevel AND adhesive fixed it. The re-inforcing tabs being used now are unnecessary, but the manufacturer is different, and this is being used to address the "rumor" that these drums are fragile. It takes a lot to get a "forgotten" medium like acrylic drums popular again. The acrylics never quite got over the fragile stigma, and thats a shame. I've rarely played more responsive and balanced drums than those made of acrylic.

I considered them myself, especially RCI shells. But like the oil embargo of the 70's the current economy makes them too expensive unless I wanted to settle for a DDRUM kit. I did see a decent 5-pc clear vista kit on CL in Texas for $900.

I noticed tama mirages are discontinued, and Thomas Lang stopped playing the xrays (they are on ebay now).

• Members

hhhhmmmm does that make you perhaps want to maybe purchase one from a fellow HCDrummer....?

have you seen where I live?? Even if I would just about die if I didn't get them (not far from the truth) shipping charges would be more than the set x2. I have had enough shipping charges totalled up from the U.S.A to put a dumbass child through university twice. (after they failed once)

Other than that, we'd be talking turkey. Sonor made a great product, they just don't do bad {censored}.

• Members

About time! A bunch of people on here love acrylics but I can't stand 'em.

Acrylics sound to me punchy and loud, but hollow and dry. In the context of live music, sometimes I like them. Getting down to brass tacks, put a mirage next to a sc bubinga and I'll take the bubinga. X-ray or heavy sq2? Sq2. Two of the big drumming stars that were pushing acrylic last year dumped those kits and went back to wood. Portnoy: SC bubinga Lang: sq2.

• Members

I don't ever base my gear decisions on what famous drummers use, but I'm glad to see that those who DO won't be hyped into buying a one-trick-pony kit.

Sadly, the 14-30 year old crowd comprise those that buy based on a drum hero. That is, plunge into an expensive duplicate of the kit.

My kit is kind of like Ed Shaugnessy's, I just happen to like his configuration. But no, I didn't make an overt attempt to clone it buy spending $6K for new Ludwigs.

IMO, the ultimate one-trick ponies are the Bonham amber acrylics. There aren't many genres that setup works for, especially in acrylic.

Just to tie this into the topic: Attack medium 2-ply clears would sound a LOT better on acrylics than cs dots, along with a zero overtone kick batter.

Archived