Jazz drummers

mis5dis6gis7

• Members

Assuming you're more of a rock drummer . . .

I'd recommend listening to some old funk also as sort of a transition into jazz; some of the forum guys may disagree with me though.

Some of those funk guys whose playing that I like are Clyde Stubblefield, Jabo Starks, and Zigaboo Modeliste who played with James Brown and The Meters, respectively.

• Members

Mitch Mitchell, on any of the Jimi Hendrix Experience albums was one of my introductions to jazz drumming.

Blood, Sweat, and Tears ... Chicago Transit Authority.

pick up some recordings of Charlie Parker, John Coltrane, Cannonball Adderly, Miles Davis ...

• Members

The great thing about jazz is that most will cover tunes and put their own touch on it. The tunes that get covered the most are called standards. Jazz is a lot more fun to listen to once you know a lot of popular heads or melodys. I suggest starting out way back and then venturing forward, just so you can appreciate the progression. 30s: Louie Armstrong-Duke Ellington-count Basie 40s-50s: Dizzy, thelonious monk, Charlie Parker, Miles, Oscar Peterson, Coltrane, Stan Getz, 60s-now: Chick Corea, Herbie Hancock, Weather Report, Jimmy Smith, John Scofield, Medeski Martin & wood.

• Members

sure, i've seen some rock greg bissonette, but the only
jazz
bissonette i've seen has been the rich tribute. i dunno, he seemed kinda stiff, anyone? not to go too ot.

and, oh, love the meters, jakey...

check out Maynard Ferguson Live from San Francisco circa 1985.

Bisonette is playing on it and he was like 23 or something.

• Members

I've done the same thing recently (interest in jazz), but what many have failed to do here is to point you to music. This is coming from my very simplistic, and somewhat uninformed opinion of jazz. A list of drummers is only so helpful. My suggestion is to find streaming jazz online or the "Real Jazz" channel on sirrius (if you have sirrius, or Directv- channel 850). I listened nonstop, and picked out things I enjoyed. Once you start listening, you might find particular players that catch your attention (not always drummers). I'm really enjoying Dexter Gordon, Miles Davis, Phineas Newborn Jr., Art Tatum, and Wynton Marsalis- all of which I discovered by listening to a ton of songs and picking out a melody or tune. It had very little to do with who was drumming. None of the guys mentioned above are drummers by the way. I'm sure the list will be different in a month. I'm wide-eyed like a child in a toy store right now. The abundance of great music is overwhelming and exciting...unlike rock, which I've listened to for years (read-bored).

If that doesn't work, a good place to start is "Kind of Blue" by Miles Davis. It is highly regarded, and as far as drumming goes. Jimmy Cobb's playing is fairly straightforward and beautiful (though not easy, by any means).

The thing that many people (I'm making an assumption here) fail to realize is that I think you have to really LIKE jazz to become a good jazzer. It is not something that one can practice and just automatically jump in to. I've been a rock drummer forever, and it has been a bit of a struggle to not play 2 and 4. I always thought comping was self indulgent playing until I really started listening. I've got the chops, the independence, and the ability to play it, but it is also about touch, timing, and taste. This is the hardest part, of which I am but a child. I am taken aback by the beauty of the music, and find that it is all I listen to.

Good luck!

• Members

Hey BF, just curious. Did you mean Cozy
Cole
on your list, instead of Cozy Powell? I've never heard Powell play anything other than rock, and if he did play Jazz, I'd love to hear it. Any albums or tunes you can think of?

My bad I did mean Cozy Cole. I kinda had Bud Powell on my mind when I was typin the list.

• Members

Yeah get Kind of Blue from Miles Davis. It's a perfect place to start. It's not super crazy like some of the stuff gets...but it will give you a good idea of which way to look. Back to more basic swing...or forward to more hard bop.

man, i was lucky enough to score a dvd-a mix of that one. man, what a blast!!

• Members

I've always liked the sound of a tenor sax, so for me when I listen to jazz that where my ear starts. Which is interesting because in popular music my ear starts with the drummers? Anyway, I've always liked the tone Sonny Rollins gets out of his horn. His CD, Saxophone Colossus is a very accessible style of jazz and it might be a good place to start.

Other suggestions:

If you like guitarists. You might check out Wes Montgomery.

Trumpet. Miles.

Of course most of these cats hire top notch drummers.

Enjoy your path to enlightenment, whichever path you take.

• Members

I've done the same thing recently (interest in jazz), but what many have failed to do here is to point you to music. This is coming from my very simplistic, and somewhat uninformed opinion of jazz. A list of drummers is only so helpful. My suggestion is to find streaming jazz online or the "Real Jazz" channel on sirrius (if you have sirrius, or Directv- channel 850). I listened nonstop, and picked out things I enjoyed. Once you start listening, you might find particular players that catch your attention (not always drummers). I'm really enjoying Dexter Gordon, Miles Davis, Phineas Newborn Jr., Art Tatum, and Wynton Marsalis- all of which I discovered by listening to a ton of songs and picking out a melody or tune. It had very little to do with who was drumming. None of the guys mentioned above are drummers by the way. I'm sure the list will be different in a month. I'm wide-eyed like a child in a toy store right now. The abundance of great music is overwhelming and exciting...unlike rock, which I've listened to for years (read-bored).

If that doesn't work, a good place to start is "Kind of Blue" by Miles Davis. It is highly regarded, and as far as drumming goes. Jimmy Cobb's playing is fairly straightforward and beautiful (though not easy, by any means).

The thing that many people (I'm making an assumption here) fail to realize is that I think you have to really LIKE jazz to become a good jazzer. It is not something that one can practice and just automatically jump in to. I've been a rock drummer forever, and it has been a bit of a struggle to not play 2 and 4. I always thought comping was self indulgent playing until I really started listening. I've got the chops, the independence, and the ability to play it, but it is also about touch, timing, and taste. This is the hardest part, of which I am but a child. I am taken aback by the beauty of the music, and find that it is all I listen to.

Good luck!

^^^Great advice here^^^

I basically did the same thing. Find the music first, then figure out who's playing it. Along with his list I'm a huge fan of Hank Mobley and Freddie Hubbard to name a couple. Lots of great jazz out there, I mean LOTS.

Archived