I think I need drum mics...

Gremson

• Members

4 mics is usually enough for me:

snare: sm57

bass: shure beta 52a, sm7b or akg d112

overheads (hard panned, r and l): fathead iis or shure ksm44

those are all relatively cheap used, (ksm44s aside) and versatile (maybe not the beta 52 or d112 so much). if you are on a budget, go with fewer mics. it seems obvious, but some people get caught up in micing everything, and that doesn't guarantee a good drum sound. maybe google the glyn johns method, which was pretty sucessful (think bonzo) to get some ideas.

also, consider what type of music you'll be playing. if you are after a certain style/sound/aesthetic, that may dictate your purchases to some extent.

lastly, consider the end product. is it a demo or a release of some kind? do you guys know what you're doing, engineering/mixing/masteringwise? if you don't, the mics may not matter so much. a battery of sm57s would be your best bet in that case. cheap, durable, work well enough for anything. even though they are heavily preamp dependent, you should get some useable sounds from the tascam thing.

love,

eor

• Members

Jarick said it best in both his more indepth posts.

SM57/58 is an industry standard for recording music but, I'm not entirely sure how well they are for capturing the whole spectrum of a drum set. Though, Jarick's video with one overhead 57 did sound really top notch, little lack on the bass but still very impressive, though room does add a ton of differance.

I agree with every one else, use the SM57s for the snare and inside the kick, using probably one more to try and collect the toms. Depending on the area you're recording in, room, reverb and so on, add one or maybe two condensors. What I found worked best for overhead condensors (and just mic'ing in general) I actually learned from the guys on here after having thought I tried everything.

If you have two condensors, have both the stands next to one another right behind you, each set-up with the respect L and R according to your channel set-up on the mixer - I found it helps to have the pan about 7+db or so for both the L and the R (I'm sure you know what I mean). Now the mics should be positioned off to the side abit, the left condensor being swung out more to the left (not too far) and the right to the right. I also had to turn the volumes down on the mixer for the condensors just a bit because, I didn't want it picking up too much of every thing, I just wanted them to pick up the higher frequencies such as the hats and cymbals. Using a large diaphgram mic on the outside of your bass drum at about half a foot away from the porthole will get you the deep sound you want, and the dynamic on the inside will pick up the mid to high mids you want - the trick is mixing every thing before you record. Then mastering the EQ of the kit once it's recorded.

The mics I use to use were CAD seven piece touring drum pack, they're good for the price and as others mentioned in this thread, you save a bit because they all come with sturdy clamps. CAD offers two differant drum mic sets actually, I had the cheaper set that was $200 but, the other set they offer is around $300 I believe, those I'd really like to give a go.

Best of luck man, experiment a little and once more to comment on Jerick's advice, some times the more mics you have the trickier it is. I know other guys on here have just used between one to two, to three mics max and achieved amazing results.

• Members

I just got an audix DP7 kit myself a week ago. Been working and haven't had much time with it, but a they sound pretty good for how crappy my current room is. The one thing I'll say about the Audix mics is that they have *very* good isolation so you don't get too many unwanted tom sounds in your snare mic, etc.

The guy who owns the drum shop doesen't have the best prices though. I was able to get my DP7's for a $700 offer on Ebay, he's charging more than that for the DP5 which lacks overheads.

• Members

Thanks for all the emails requesting that Drum City USA add Shure Drum Mic kits to our catalog.

We have now added Shure in addition to Audix Drum Mic Kits.

In addition, I am lowering prices on all items to below Amazon, Musicians Friend, Interstate and others.

I will also throw in Free Shipping for our friends here at Harmony Central.

See the Mic kits here at:

Drum City USA Sale!

Thanks for your input. Always want to please my friends.

Bob

• Members

Thanks for all the emails requesting that Drum City USA add Shure Drum Mic kits to our catalog.

We have now added Shure in addition to Audix Drum Mic Kits.

In addition, I am lowering prices on all items to below Amazon, Musicians Friend, Interstate and others.

I will also throw in Free Shipping for our friends here at Harmony Central.

See the Mic kits here at:

Drum City USA Sale!

Thanks for your input. Always want to please my friends.

Bob

Bob is actually becoming an amusing part of my day. :)

• Members

Add me to the "usually prefers four mics" crowd. I'd advise a decent kick mic, the usual suspects have been mentioned, but I'll add the discontinued ATM25, which is a good tom mic, and is great on bass cabs and even guitars. Haven't gotten around to trying it on vocals yet, but so far, it's a poor man's 421. I've got a couple, and I'll grab every one I see for $125 or under until I have about six.

The GLS Shure copies are great for people on a budget.

So, you've got condensors to press into OH service, get a kick mic next, and order a 3-pack or two of GLS 57s when your debit card allows it, you should be all set. Oh, and get decent stands. Clips transmit vibration, fine for live, a nuisance for recording. Don't cheap out too bad, crappy stands are misery. Get used ones, they're dirt cheap and always available.

Archived