OT - In the market for a camcorder. . .

BeakerArk

• Members

Look for a JVC model GZ-MG555U They have internal hard drive, plus can use SD card, direct connection to your PC with a USB cable. The biggest seller for me was that it has a direct audio in (1/8" cable). I can use it to record from my mixer board for some really clean sound!!

• Members

My family got a cheap little Kodak Zi6 for Christmas ( alittle over a hundred bucks). Has almost no memory till I get a memory card for it but can upload really easy with built in USB port. Sound recording is crap, but will do for now. Lots of nice cameras out there in your price range, I too would be curious for the one that has best sound reproduction.

• Members

I just purchased a canon vixia hf200 for my mom. It has no hard drive which I prefer. I chose no internal storage because of failure rate. It's one thing to have a hdd in your computer but something that goes from one place to another is not good. This model records in 1080p and an sdhc card(storage) was a decently priced @ $30 for plenty or record time. I purchased mine from tigerdirect and got around $65 bing cashback. The cards can be easily pulled out and plugged into a computer or blu-ray player. I would reccommend this one very much. They also have other versions with a hard drive internally but thats just another moving part to break. Be sure to get one with full hd capability.

• Members

If your going to get one of those mini HD cams, I wouldn't get a flip, they take great video, but youre stuck with internal memory, the Sony webbie has an SD slot so you can add as much memory as you want. They take great video, but the microphone is real sesitive. The Kodak is as real nice one, takes great video, and you can adjust the microphone volume level, so you can turn down the mic when you're playing drums, and wont red line the audio.. The webbie is 150$ the Kodak is 200$..

• Members

Things that are important to look for in your purchase

- removable storage

- tripod capable

- mic inputs

- 1080p

Anything else can be fixed with a speedy computer and good video editing software.

When running the cam even with a direction mic attached I would imagine sound would be cluttered with many other things. Best way (if possible) is to get a clean feed. If not, setup in an area w/ low traffic to avoid the jerkoff yelling freebird. Those direction mics catch every bit of sound in the area and the internal mics won't cut it for what you are trying to do.

• Members

I use the sony HDR-XR500V HD handycam camcorder. It has a hardrive with 120 gigabytes, its got really nice video quality (just check out my videos) you can upload videos to your computer with it obivously. and it takes pictures, plus has a GPS, if that matters.

• Members

Just thought of something else. With digital video cams, they usually suck in dim light, and look best in day light. I found out it's the cmos sensor that makes the difference in dim light. So the better the sensor, the better in dim light inside. Whatever those spec may be, I don't know.

• Members

Hear good things about the ZOOM Q3. The video isn't great (640 x 480?) but the audio is quite good - apparently on par with the H2 audio recorder (I have an H2 & love it - great clarity & works well in high or low volume situations).

$250 or so for a Q3...

Want a Q3 myself.

Archived