Yea! New cymbals for me!

JMR

• Members

Well, after I sell my cab and buy the ac30 from a guy on here, I will have money left over and I will be buying the cymbals in bold from a CL guy

13"new beats $100.00

(2) 16" A custom $75.00 ea

18" A custom projection

18" zildjian swish w/5 rivots $100.00,

20" istambul green letter $100.00 (I think he meant istanbul

and one of these

17" 2002 med paiste red label $125.00

18" 2002 med paiste red label $125.00

I don't know whether to get the 17" or 18", what do you guys think?

Can someone give me the low down on Istanbuls? I know dave turncrantz uses them, and his kit and cymbals sound fantastic.

• Members

Personally I'd rather have an 18 over a 17 in most cases, more rideable if needed. To each there own though, we each have a different group or style that should mostly determine our choices.

Though, he does have a 18" and a 20" ride already.

I also wanted to initially say 18", 18" crash just sounds nice and full - some thing about the even number sized cymbals as well, seem to sound better to me for some reason. Hm, go with the 18", it should stand out more from your other smaller crash cymbals, great prices on all that stuff listed though - wish I could find a 16" A Custom for $75, I had an 18" and loved it and, despite wanting to stick with Sabian this time around, I'd definitely grab another A Custom if the price is right, just because it's such a great, bright classic sound.

• Members

Congrats dude.

I'd really like some 14" new beats. The hats I have now are just too thick.

Judging by what other cymbals you're rocking, I'd go with the 17" over `18"..

Newbeats are pretty {censored}in' thick. And heavy. Must be why I like 'em. What are you playing that's heavier? [/hijack]

• Members

If that Istanbul is a green logo, you aren't going to like it -- that's from when Istanbul was a real jazzer's cymbal, before they started giving all their attention to the rock endorsers (I was just talking with an Istanbul endorser about this the other day).

If you get it and don't like it I'll buy it from ya. I'm into that stuff -- it's not like the Bosphorus (which is my favorite) but good in its own way. A LOT more complex tones (translation: overtones) and some trash to them.

• Members

I've played new beats with paiste 2002s in Sam Ash's and Guitar Center's cymbal rooms. They blend pretty well. One thing I like about paistes is how hey sit in a mix for recording. Behind the kit they can sometimes sound too bright, etc, but live and recording they really cut through.

• Members

If that Istanbul is a green logo, you aren't going to like it -- that's from when Istanbul was a real jazzer's cymbal, before they started giving all their attention to the rock endorsers (I was just talking with an Istanbul endorser about this the other day).

If you get it and don't like it I'll buy it from ya. I'm into that stuff -- it's not like the Bosphorus (which is my favorite) but good in its own way. A LOT more complex tones (translation: overtones) and some trash to them.

yes ,Played some ,noticed the trasher tones, not bad just different

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

my cab has taken me forever to sell and I've been nearly scammed twice, I put out a feeler for my old guitar which has a broken rhythm pick up and I'm working out a deal to sell it for $140 in 2 days. The guy didn't want the case (which I didn't want to sell because it's got some kickass stickers on it and it's a very nice case. I like lp style guitars, I might have another sometime soon). And I sold my echo park for $85.

That gives me $225. Then I'm selling the weakest cymbals I have (Paiste PST3 13" hi hats and 18" crash, and 302 splash for around $110) and buying some new cymbals on CL and from some guys in HC drum section. I don't mind the sounds of my PST5 20" ride and 14" thin crash, it isn't perfect, but it works just fine. But if I sell those, I have enough to buy both the paistes.

So, I'll have exactly enough to get the cymbals I wanted!

Archived