Sound Percussion 8 Piece set? Any good?

Bopshuwadi

• Members

So I found this kit, I keep on thinking it looks great and stuff, great size, but it is super cheap which makes me think it is a bad kit, but a big one.

Has anyone actually used this thing? The reviews are great but I assume the reviews are written by people who havent played very long considering its such a cheap kit and it is technically a starter kit.

Anyone know about this thing? Sound okay? Good quality?

I would definitely consider buying it if you guys tell me its a good kit. It sounds like its a good kit but all it needs is the heads changed and new pedals.

http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/product/Sound-Percussion-Pro-8piece-Double-Bass-Drum-Set-with-Black-Lugs?sku=484089

• Members

You're probably going to spend 3+ bills on new entry level brass, good heads (which will be a necessity) and a throne so I guess I'd, and I'm guessing most here, recommend getting a complete used, higher quality and smaller kit off CL. That being said, if you have the gotta-haves for a kit that big and you kept it in good condition, you could probably get back 60-70% of your investment when you resell for an upgrade, which isn't terrible for entry level equipment. The kit does look good but I'd still say smaller and better is the way to go.

Just my opinion, rely on the rest of the Brethren for a more informed view.

• Members

This would be equal to you buying a drum set at Sears or buying a Wal-Mart bicycle that looks like a BMX bike. Entry level is right. Would be way better getting a better quality used set for the same price. Even then, you're not going to find a nice eight piece set for $500!

Even with new heads and pedals, you're only going to be able to get this set to sound so much better. Sets like this are copies and lookalikes, they do well for 8-12 year olds that have nothing else and just want something to hit in their room. It will sound more "thuddy" than "boomy", will be harder to tune and keep in tune, lugs may strip out or not stay tight, chrome and black hoops will flake, wrap will start to bubble, It may not happen for five or ten years if you leave it in one spot, but if you gig or move it around, stuff will wear out quicker. The high hat stand will be a step above a toy one, the snare will be a toy and be hard to get more than a nice "Blat" sound, even if you replace both heads, rims, lugs and snare wires. See where either saving for a better set or getting a better used set sounds better?

Now there are a few people on here that have a SP set or like me, have started out on a set "like" this one. They do work and you can make them sound decent with heads and the like, so I'm not knocking the people who have them, I'm just saying that entry level sets like this are easy to grow out of and you could get a better quality set (mostly likely smaller) used.

Plus when you do go to sell a set like that, you won't get anything near what you paid for it. What kind of music do you play? how long you been drumming? what are you wanting in a drumset? where do you live? that can tell us more about what kind set might fit you and many of us can offer links and pics of what we might suggest. I know is hard to wait, you want a set now, but SP is like seeing some nice tennis shoes at Wal-Mart and exspecting them to be like and last like the better shoes that are just a little more. And I'm NOT saying you have to buy the most expensive or a certain brand. Hope this helps, good luck, come back if you have any questions and let us know what else you're looking at! :thu:

See, from even another post today, this would be a better kit:

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/msg/1537291175.html

Better known maker, better quality control, better hardware (stands, pedals) comes with okay cymbals already (the other one does not) and has a throne (seat) this is an older set and still looks nice. You DO NOT need all eight pieces at once, learn to play on this first (or something like it) lessons and practice make a better drummer than the amount of drums. Good luck dude, and don't be afraid to ask more questions.

• Members

The fact that you even had to ask the question leads me to believe that you do not need 8 drums. Complete overkill, a beginner wouldn't know what the {censored} to do with 8 drums and it would be more of a distraction and hindrance if you ask me. Oh, and the kit is a POS.

Go buy a snare drum and play the {censored} out of it.

• Members

Heavily agree, don't buy the SP - you'll regret it later. I asked these guys when I was buying my first kit, ended up deciding on a 5 piece Tama Rockstar from the early 90's, best thing about it was I got a lot of really nice extras with it, DW Maple Snare, Neil Peart cymbals, A Custom cymbals, DW hardware (hat stand, double kicks, throne) and etc. If I were to have bought all that stuff new it would have cost me well over double what I paid, hell, just the cymbals and DW snare were double the value.

Second time buying a kit: I did take note of the cheapy kits, CB and others, I thought about it because, I was starting to feel desperate and wanted to so badly get back into drumming. After months of just looking around, I lucked out since I had some cash, and picked up a nice five piece shell pack for just over three C notes..ha, I guess they'r enot C notes in Canada but, you get my point. Sure, the hardware I got with it (stands, throne, kick, hat stand) are junk but, not only did I save over 50% buying a used kit but, I have cash left over to upgrade to good additions. It'll be worth the wait even if it's buying one cymbal or piece of hardware at a time.

The kit twosticks posted is a good deal, the cymbals may be B8s but, from what the hats show, at least they're B8 Pros, I had a set of B8 (standard) hats and they actually weren't all that terrible once I figured out how I wanted them set.

Get a five piece man, often less is more, zarazabas is right, too big of a kit is just going to be a distraction.

• Members

The kits aren't as bad. I use one (4 piece) in our practice room and for small gigs. You have to replace the heads and tune it right to get it to sound decent. It's light weight, small and very portable.

That being said, I wouldn't use one to record anything. I am saving up for a nice 5 piece Yamaha studio kit. :thu:

• Members

The whole concept of a beginner level, bottom barrel EIGHT piece kit kinda blows my mind.

By the time you get enough skills to even master 10% of a kit that big, you're gonna realize those are {censored} shells and {censored} hardware.

• Members

Thanks for the input guys. And I think I am ready for a kit this big, I have been playing for about 4 years. I play mostly metal. I am thinking that I will do a smaller kit though, a better one. I am thinking just 3 rack toms and one floor tom and a kick drum is all I need.

Thanks for the help, I thought this kit was fishy. Haha

• Members

By the way...why did you Randy G. post get deleted...i thought the clip was cool...

posting it again.. :lol:

[YOUTUBE]McKWfNRbC9s[/YOUTUBE]

Anyways...my final thought....at the end much of it depends on the drummer. I have seen so many with loads of money and expensive equipment...but they could never tune their drums even to save their lives.....any cheap kit would sound better than the kits that i have seen in their practice pads.

As for heads/cymbals, these matter a lot more than the drum shell. You will have to replace the heads, which will cost you nearly $300. It probably will hold true even if you buy a high end kit.

• Members

Gotta chime in here.

I managed a drum shop back in the days when cheap kits did suck. Nowadays, it's a different deal. They may not be as awesome as a DW $4000 kit, but the shells are OK and the hardware is OK. The shells will be good enough that even the supplied heads will work for awhile for a beginner, and when it's time to change them the sound will improve.

In other words, if the kid has the space and the budget and the desire, why shoot him down? I sometimes note a desire on the part of those who've spent a fortune on their gear to justify that by slagging inexpensive gear. Trust me, buying cheap is NOT like it used to be. Is it ideal? NO. But you can indeed gig on the kit in question, something I would not have done with the Pearl Export sets I used to sell back in 1986.

This would be equal to you buying a drum set at Sears or buying a Wal-Mart bicycle that looks like a BMX bike.

I used to road race, and do triathlons. I had a custom road bike from Michel Chenu (Antibes, France) back in the day, and now own a Cannondale CAAD road racer.

I just got one of those Walmart 'BMX' bikes, the NEXT PowerX. For $89 bucks. It's FUN!!! It'll get me around the neighborhood for errands and whatnot for a few years.... point being that not everything has to top-line in order to be useful.

Archived