Wuhan China Cymbals

AllanGuy

• Members

I have heard a lot of good about Wuhan China Cymbals, but I have also heard that you should try them out first to make sure you don't get a dud. I was just wondering what you guys thought about them, and if I should order one online. If you like them, what size would be good for a rock/metal style?

• Members

For rock and metal, I'd go for at least an 18", but 20" is better. Size = volume, so it could depend on whether you're usually OH-mic'ed, and whether you want a kwish or a KWAUUSH.

Whether to buy online is a risk you must weigh for yourself. Personally, I think the must-hear-it-before-you-buy-it philosophy doesn't hold much water. Sure, among hand-made cymbals, the sound can vary greatly from one to the other, but you'll never know how it will sound in your music until you play it in your music. At home or at the gig, it won't sound anything like your pre-purchase test whacks in some glass-front store full of other instruments anyway. Perhaps pre-testing can help you avoid buying one that would just make you cringe no matter what. Perhaps. (Music store acoustics suck...they all make me cringe there.)

I have some cymbals I bought new in the '70's, but all the ones I've bought more recently were bought online used, or otherwise low-cost, (Wuhan, Dream, etc.), with the anticipation of reselling if I don't like.

• Members

I used my 20" Wuhan for YEARS, including a bit of time when I was using Matt Sorum signature AHEAD sticks... which were basically aluminum logs, and my wuhan held up fine. The one I have now is also holding up just fine, especially considering I paid like $20 for them.

Just buy one online. Listening to them live isn't going to do you any good unless you're hearing it with a full band playing, etc. I've never listened to any of the ones I've bought (I've had 3 chinas, 2 splashes and a full cymbal pack) and they have always been perfectly fine.

I used 20", 18" and 12". I think I liked the 20" the best, simply because of the deeper tone.

• Members

The 18" Wuhan chinas were MF's SDOTD a few months ago. I bought 3 at $20 each. Didn't like any of them. But, so what? They were $20. I gave one away, use one on a set I leave at rehearsal and sold one. Then, I bought a 16" for the same $20. This one I like.

• Members

I own a 20" an 18" and a 14" Wuhan China - the 20" is by far my favorite sounding China (I've owned China cymbals by Zildjian and Paiste - and to me the Wuhan's compare very well) - in fact I think Wuhan have the exact thrash sound a China should have. And for the low price - one of the best valued cymbals on the market!

They are frail (I've never broken one....but I play with good technique) - but when I worked in a drum shop......we had a lot of people buying Wuhans over and over to replace broken ones.......the bad news - they broke, the good news - people like the sound enough to buy another.

However, every one has it's own sound (I played a half dozen 20" before I selected the one I have.....and everyone sound differeent....in some cases.....significantly different.

Don't buy on line - you need to hear with your two ears (assuming you still have both ears).

Archived