Louie Bellson kit question

Buzter

• Members

I saw an old vid of Louie Bellson doing a solo today. During one part he used a pedal operated roto tom like a tympani. Anybody ever see this or specifically know how it worked? I could get a look at the pedal but not how it operated in conjunction with the head. I have several roto toms and wanted to incorporate this as well.

• Members

I saw an old vid of Louie Bellson doing a solo today. During one part he used a pedal operated roto tom like a tympani. Anybody ever see this or specifically know how it worked? I could get a look at the pedal but not how it operated in conjunction with the head. I have several roto toms and wanted to incorporate this as well.

Posting the video would help.

• Members

I think it might be easier to find a tunable floor tom tom. They were tuned with a pedal. Yamaha made one and discontinued making them in the mid to late 1980's. Back in the 1960's an Italian drum company called "Hollywood" (a division of Meazzi) also made them. There may have been other companies like "Trixon" that made them as well. I own a 16x16 Yamaha. Of course it's a bit gimmicky. It would be great to actually incorporate it musically into a song. A very interesting effect is if the drum is struck and then quickly pressing and releasing the pedal many times giving that one note a "wow-wow" effect as the note goes up and down in pitch.

Archived