cymbal now snare. is the prok pie swinny snare an alright one?

NomadDudeMan

• Members

okay i am set on a pork pie snare. but which one? i played one at GC and it was like butter or whatever sounds amazing. Or are there other options? i would like a +6" deep snare. that thick sound with the clairity of a picilo. if that last part is possible.

656476.jpg

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Pork-Pie-Little-Squealer-Maple-Snare-Drum--Blood-Red-Sparkle-620868-i1481640.gc

257424.jpg

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Pork-Pie-Little-Squealer-Maple-Snare-Drum-102521069-i1138434.gc

498390.jpg

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Pork-Pie-Vented-Little-Squealer-Snare-Drum-103564209-i1177142.gc

• Members

I had the 13X7 for a while, and it was VERY articulate, but that was it. The drum was definitely a one-trick pony. The Big Black is a copy of Ludwig's Black Beauty, although they don't sound identical-very close, but not the same. I think this would be the one I would go for, if I were buying a Pork Pie snare.

• Members

Put some Pure Sound Blasters on whatever you get, and you'll get some nice articulate crunch out of it.. Love em to pieces..

As far as snares go, why stuck on Porkies? For what they keep charging for those, you could snag a nice used Pearl sensi or something on the bay, and slap some PS wires on it and be golden..

• Members

I'm with Box. You're set on a Pork Pie, but don't know which one? That tells me you don't know what sound you're after yet. Your favorite snare drum is one you haven't played yet, and it might not be a Pork Pie.

Best approach is to play some snares first and look at the badge last.

Nothing against Pork Pie, btw, they make great drums. But there are a whole host of great snares out there these days, many for less money.

• Members

I'm with Box. You're set on a Pork Pie, but don't know which one? That tells me you don't know what sound you're after yet. Your favorite snare drum is one you haven't played yet, and it might not be a Pork Pie.

Best approach is to play some snares first and look at the badge last.

Nothing against Pork Pie, btw, they make great drums. But there are a whole host of great snares out there these days, many for less money.

Ludwig maybe?

• Members

I second this motion. Heck, get a Black Beauty:love:

i have played them before. they were the top of the cream of all the snares that i tried. thats why i chose to choose them. i played that one just yesterday.... IT WAS AWSOME! it sounded bigger/deeper/thicker than the other ones but still had the articulation. .

but really that was a great one. just have to get like +50 more bucs. :p you pay for tone.

• Members

^^^^

These.

I wanted a Black Beauty. They're kind of pricey. I thought about a Black Magic (or Black Shadow or whatever it's called), but saw these Pork Pies for about $200 new. Sold! Love it!

I 482nd this motion for the B.O.B.

I have a lot of snare drums, and tend to use this at most of my live gigs.

It's unbeatable for the price.

DB

Archived