Which ash snare: Gretsch Catalina or DDrum Dominion?

mparsons

• Members

Hey,

I'm looking at buying a snare drum, and I'm convinced for the most part that I want an ash snare drum. Does anyone have any experience with the Gretsch Catalina ash series or the DDrum dominion ash series? Those are the only two makers of ash snare drums that I've been able to find in the budget I'm at.

Which would you recommend?

Thanks,

• Members

I have a dDrum Dominion kit; it's my primary player and has been for almost 2 years.

The DRUMS overall are great: I did a LOT of research before buying, had several opportunities to check them out playing-wise. Ash really does sit somewhere between maple and birch tone characteristics-wise: bright and clear like birch, but with great full tone like maple.

At the price-point of a full kit, even when factoring in replacing ALL the factory heads (they came stock with Remo UK heads, which are obviously some sort of lower quality head line, but that's how they shave cost), it really is hard to find fault. Die-cast hoops as standard? Big bonus points right there, IMO.

My kit is 8x12 RT with suspension mount, 10x14 and 10x16 FT, 20x20 virgin BD (so shallow toms and deep kick).

The drums sound spectacular live. Really full-bodied. I do tune a bit higher than the average rock guy; more for tone than attack, and I think that's where these shells 'sit' best; I've had numerous compliments on how good the drums sound in the short time I've used them.

Now as to SNARES specifically...

My kit came with a 7x13 SD. I don't play it at all.

That's more because I don't like 13" snares in general, and have much better options in metal (6 1/2x14 hand-hammered Black Beauty) and wood (custom 6x14 10-ply maple with reinforcement rings) snares already.

I'd rather that dDrum offered my kit w/o the snare for $50 less even...

But as for the overall sound of ash drums, I am more than happy with mine.

• Members

I owned a Ddrum Dominion Ash Snare. I liked it. Good crack. Nice finish, I had the Teal. I'd still have it, but I traded it and a Blackro for a {censored}load of Gibraltar racks and parts. Too good a deal to pass up. Plus for the price, it's well worth it Matt. I can't comment on the Gretsch. I've never played nor own one.

• Members

Thanks guys! Looks like I've got a ddrum in my future :thu:

EDIT:

Hey Marko... Did I sell you that Yamaha Stage Custom floor tom? How is it holding up?

EDIT2: Oh man!! I also sold you those Meinl hihats... How are those doing?

• Members

I don't know about the ash, but I can agree with fesswrks about the Catalina maple. I love the rest of the kit, but the snare is just all-in-all mediocre. I tried different tunings and a couple of heads, but just couldn't get it to sound good. It didn't sound bad, just not good at all.

• Members

Look into the Orange County Drum and Percussion Snares. I have a 14x6 10 lug with an Evans Genra HD Head on it and it sounds awesome.I believe it is Birch though.For a cheaper snare ($199) I really like it. I don't know what draws me to this one snare for but I had the same one on my old Pearl Set and had to get one for the new Tama set I bought. I think they are pretty good snares for the money. I am going to try different snares and have a few different ones eventually after I get all the cymbals and toms I want for my set. Got 1 China to get,which I am on Saturday,and 1 more 18" AAXplosion Fast Crash I may be able to get Sunday if I make what I think I am this weekend. I work as a contract Taxi Driver so my income varies,like tonight I made over $250 take home,if I make that same amount or close for the next 2 nights I am going to splurge and grab the 18" Crash.

As for the snare,I got off topic,I get no snare buzz except a very little buzz when I hit my 10" tom,but I think if I sit and tune it out right,I can even get that out,just haven't had time to properly tune the 10" tom. I had to move my bed and drum set,it's getting to big for where it was sitting.

• Members

I'd vote NO to ddrum, Catalina, and OCDP.

I think you'd be just fine with a birch drum, and I'd recommend a used Tama Starclassic Performer -- you can find them for under $150 on ebay regularly.

No to the snares specifically, or those lines of drums outright?

If the entire line of drums, I'm interested in why you say no to dDrum.

• Members

I guess I can see where that could be an issue; it's easy to imagine that dDrum may be trying to become bigger than maybe they have the infrastructure/QC capability for at present. But if so, I got one of the 'good ones', apparently...

I see similar growing pains from the Catalina line. OCDP, Pork Pie, etc., and I bet it's as hit or miss from all of them...

• Members

I've had no problems with my OCDP snare,stays in tune,hardware hasn't broke. Sounds good to my ears. Won't change my mind about,but like everything else to do with drums,it's up to the person using it!

I myself think Ddrum is overpriced on everything and not as good as they are trying to make themselves be. I don't think I'd own anything by them anytime soon. If i were to replace my kit today,it's be a Starclassic for sure!

• Members

I myself think Ddrum is overpriced on everything

?????

~$750-$800 for a 5 piece 100% ash or maple shell kit (Dominion pocket config) with the bells & whistles of many high-end kits (modern/shallow tom depths, mini lugs, diecast hoops on toms/snares, suspension tom mounts, matching finish bass drum hoops, etc.) is overpriced?

• Members

?????

~$750-$800 for a 5 piece 100% ash or maple shell kit (Dominion pocket config) with the bells & whistles of many high-end kits (modern/shallow tom depths, mini lugs, diecast hoops on toms/snares, suspension tom mounts, matching finish bass drum hoops, etc.) is overpriced?

That's for a cheap set. Probably the cheapest they make,I never looked at prices though on them,I know the ones I did look at were much higher in price.

Archived