Applying For Job @ Guitar Center??

• Members

Okay, so Guitar Center is opening up a new store in my town and I'm thinking of applying for a job there. I have a few questions that I'm hoping some of you out there could help me answer. First, for anyone who works @ a store like Guitar Center, how much do you think I could seriously make working full time as a Sales Associate?? And second, how much knowledge do they require of you to work in a specific department?? My case: I am a drummer and sound guy and have a good bit of recording knowledge also. Never had any real "training" in either, just learned a lot myself a long the way. I consider myself to be pretty good at both but it's just that I may not know all the minute details of things as some might. But I'm a quick learner and all the other aspects of the job I'm sure would be no problem for me. Any comments or info any one has would be great. Thanks.

• Members

Originally posted by Magnet182

Okay, so Guitar Center is opening up a new store in my town and I'm thinking of applying for a job there. I have a few questions that I'm hoping some of you out there could help me answer. First, for anyone who works @ a store like Guitar Center, how much do you think I could seriously make working full time as a Sales Associate?? And second, how much knowledge do they require of you to work in a specific department?? My case: I am a drummer and sound guy and have a good bit of recording knowledge also. Never had any real "training" in either, just learned a lot myself a long the way. I consider myself to be pretty good at both but it's just that I may not know all the minute details of things as some might. But I'm a quick learner and all the other aspects of the job I'm sure would be no problem for me. Any comments or info any one has would be great. Thanks.

Retail is a brutal world and if it is not a career choice and just to get youthrough school or something it should be fine.

• Members

having worked for the now defunk't Mars and having friends (many) that went from Mars to GC here in Arlington, TX, I can tell you this. Sales are a KEY point for the company. You have to maintain a certain amount of sales numbers just to keep your job. As far as money, you will get 6.00 per hour plus commissions. Now, commissions are based on your department's overall contribution. If you do really well, but you have a guy in your department that doesn't do anything at all in sales, you don't get commission for that period.

As far as the wall of noise, that is very true. I was lucky to work in the keyboards/recording department and there were times I went home with a splitting headache after just working a short 6 hour shift. My advice, get a job as an accounts payable clerk. Unless you really want/need the discount you get as an employee (it isn't enough to justify the job) then you will do better to earn more elsewhere.

• Members

Music stores is where people whose careers have stalled but they can't admit it go to work. It's sort of a transitional halfway house for players being forced to give up the dream and get a real job. If you're at a point where you need to get a job, and are forced to sell your time doing something you don't want to do to earn money, why not sell it for the maximum dollar you can make? I'd rather do finish carpentry for 17 bucks an hour than to listen to high school kids abuse guitars and amps all day for 6.

• Members

I was a salesman at MARS until we went bankrupt. Then, Guitar Center came to town. Guitar Center offered minimum wage, against dept. commission, whichever is greater. That sucks. Mars wasn't good, but it was better than that. Mars had an hourly guarantee against personal commission, but no one ever made the hourly wage unless they just didn't lift a finger at all. Almost everyone at my Mars made commission, with one guy making 60K a year.

I thought about going to GC to work after MARS, but after weighing it out, decided to avoid the corporate headaches.

BTW, I never had a problem adjusting to the noise levels of the retail music environment. When there's no noise, no one is there to buy gear, and that SERIOUSLY affects your paycheck. I always said, "Bring on the NOISE!!!"

Archived