Cymbal positions

Jaden

• Members

If you're right handed-

Ride at 1:00 / 1:30, the lower the better IMO.

Crash #1 at 2:30

Crash #2 at 10:00 / 10:30

These are just suggestions, where they feel comfortable to you, and how high they need to be is totally you're call.

In short, all three should be at a comfortable distance, height and angle that you expend as little energy as possible getting to them and don't under or over extend yourself.

Look at some of the pic's in the "show us your kit" thread. We're all at least a little different.

• Members

being i only have 1 crash at the moment :facepalm:

i have my ride over my kick [really low, maybe 5-8 inches over the bass

and my 18 inch crash over the toms, maybe a foot higher than the toms.

just keep everything close and easy to reach

check out the pics in the show your kit thread for some ideas

• Members

OK...act like an orchestra conductor ready to start...both hands up and...now slowly bring your right hand down to a rest state still holding your forearm out in front. Sholuder down, stick in hand, where does the tip of the stick want to go...IMO, that's where your ride bow of the cymbal should be. You should be at a comfortable position with no shoulder lift, ready to swing that stick into the cymbal (get the pun? swing...ride cymbal...anyway) Your got to crash should be almost in front just a little to the left and your secondary crash should be slightly above right to the ride so you can crash from both ride, tom and floor tom action.

By the way, even though I'm a southpaw, I tried to explain it in the right hand drumming situation.

• Members

Wearing my soundguy hat here: If you ever plan to record or play out live, consider leaving enough space under or between cymbals for a microphone to squeeze into.

I did a show on Friday and the guy left me zero room to get tom mics in (very tiny condensers), didn't want to move his cymbals and played them so loud that an overhead was pretty useless. One of the most crowded setups I've ever seen.

Other than that, just put them where you find them physically comfortable to play.

Archived