Bass drum riser platform issues

richiejazz

• Members

I am having trouble with the little bass drum riser I got with my new Gretsch catalina club jazz kit with 18" bass drum. I am using an iron cobra pedal with a traditional round felt beater and because of the placement of the riser it means the beater makes contact with the head on a downward stroke at about 1 0' clock - very little of the beater is actually hitting the head. The system just doesnt seem to work very well. Its ok if I use one of the stock Iron Cobra beaters because you can tilt the head angle to compensate for this, but other traditional beaters dont work.

Does anyone use one of these risers? or can anyone suggest a better make of riser than the one that came with my Gretsch kit (I dont dont know what make the riser is but it looks exactly the same as the picture of the Gibraltar model that they sell)

Thanks

• Members

The problem without using the riser though is that the bottom half of the beater rod extends out of the pedal and scrapes the head when you play. Or are you saying just have the beater sat higher on the head than usual and that shouldnt matter for a drum of this size?

• Members

The problem without using the riser though is that the bottom half of the beater rod extends out of the pedal and scrapes the head when you play. Or are you saying just have the beater sat higher on the head than usual and that shouldnt matter for a drum of this size?

You could shorten the beater enough so that it clears the drum head. If you think it creates a weight issue for you, you could add a beater weight to compensate.

Archived