Having a weird problem

jr_vw2

• Members

So I have started working on incorporating the heel toe method into my playing as I've started playing faster double bass stuff. However whenever I start picking up speed I catch myself leaning back A LOT. whenever I find myself doing his I correct it. But before I know it I'm leaning way back again. I have messed with my throne height and distance from the pedals and why not and that has helped a little. Is this just a weird thing specific to me or have any of you had this issue? What did you do about it?

• Members

It sounds to me that you haven't gotten your layout to the point where your center of gravity is on you butt, and not somewhere in front of you. That's why you are leaning back, Your upper body is acting as the counter weight to your legs, while they are off the ground.

My throne and pedals are set so that I can move my legs without having to lean back, or have a foot planted on the ground, while I play.

• Members

I'm not an expert on heel-toe, but it does seem a tad weird that would happen. It seems the lower body should be completely independant of your upper body. And please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the heel suppose to "stomp" the first note (then you "catch" the pedal for the second note with ball of your foot)?

Maybe what is happening is you are "launching" or pushing off with your heel instead of stomping. If you are pushing off with your heel there may be a tendency for your body to lean. At faster speeds, the power diminishes (from the stomp) and your body compensates for it by leaning back.

And maybe someone who plays heel-toe should comment on your shin muscle....if your shin muscles are underdeveloped, does this effect the technique? I can speak for myself trying the heel-toe technique that my shins came into play. Again, I never delv to deep into heel toe, so I was probably doing it wrong. But if I happen to be right, and the shin development IS part of the technique, I would imagine an undeveloped shin may cause the body to compensate in different ways.

Nick?

• Members

It sounds to me that you haven't gotten your layout to the point where your center of gravity is on you butt, and not somewhere in front of you. That's why you are leaning back, Your upper body is acting as the counter weight to your legs, while they are off the ground.

My throne and pedals are set so that I can move my legs without having to lean back, or have a foot planted on the ground, while I play.

Agreed.

I don't use the heel-toe method as, I prefer heel up toe down but, I have encountered this issue with leaning back while using both feet on the double kicks. What more or less solved it for me was, rearranging my pedals and adjusting my throne height, so that my legs are parallel with the floor.

It's likely just a personal thing but, I found that having my legs parallel to the floor is a bit awkward at first because, then my snare feels just a bit higher than I'd prefer and, my snare stand doesn't go any lower but on the other hand, it did help with maintaining balance and thus easier constant double bass.

• Members

Weak quads. You're probably forcing them to maintain the the horsepower on the pedals. There's a Gene Hoglan thread going on. Besides, he uses standard pedals and a very well tuned stroke, he wears ankle weights. These give something to push against - especially at speeds where you get virtually constant back pressure.

• Members

Weak quads. You're probably forcing them to maintain the the horsepower on the pedals. There's a Gene Hoglan thread going on. Besides, he uses standard pedals and a very well tuned stroke, he wears ankle weights. These give something to push against - especially at speeds where you get virtually constant back pressure.

Generally he takes the weights off after the first couple of songs.

Archived