Muscle memory from years ago??

twosticks

• Members

Howdy!, Like I've said on other recent posts, I practice about ever Weds or Thurs for about 3-4 hours each time. I just mostly play along with my collection of close to 400 CDs. Lately I have been going back and playing stuff I haven't played in years. Either heavier stuff because my wife and others are around or just CDs that I have skipped over for a long while.

Anyway, has been many songs that I just played along with where I played with little problems after not playing them for a long time. Is like my mind still remembers or I guess it's muscle memory?? I guess all the "Woodshedding" does pay off? Night Ranger, Foreigner, Fleetwood Mac, Supertramp, Aldo Nova, Saga, Bob Seger, Triumph, .38 Special, Kansas, etc. Now, there were a couple flubs here and there and it wasn't all perfect but many songs were pretty close. Anybody ever have that??

I know some songs are from just being in a band and having to learn them, "Long Cool Woman" "Cold Shot" "Saw Her Standing there" "Twist and Shout" "Wipeout" "Mustang Sally" "Pride (In the name of love)", etc are sort of ingrained after practicing with my old band years ago. Plus I was a big Journey, Phil Collins, Genesis fan and played CDs like Little River Band, Gary Wright, Wings, etc over and over again so I could understand that as well.

Off the top of my head, I want to try Bad Company and Steve Miller next time I practice if I don't forget or get into other old stuff and see if like the old saying goes "Once you make love, you never forget how" LOL

Also was a few songs that I thought were so hard and fast and now don't seem as fast. Case in point: Night Ranger's "Don't tell me you love me". Maybe I was just really at ease and cooking that night but it just seemed easier than I remember it before. I just played along to the greatest hits and that song almost note per note and nailed the quick ending.

So, I guess my question is: anybody play a song out of the blue that they haven't played in years and have it come easy and wonder why? Was also a few songs that I used to play good on but had a hard time getting the feel down now. A lot of those CDs I mentioned were groups that I studied when I was air drumming or when I first started playing. I know somebody asked recently if tapping your leg counted as practice, Maybe it really does??

Anybody notice the same thing or have something to add??

• Members

I've only been playin drums since 08. So haven't really had old muscle memory come back to me on drums. But I certainly have on guitar. I quit for like 10 years. Didn't own an instrument. Didn't touch anything. One day sat down to play my brothers, and there it was. Same old stuff. So I went and bought a gut fiddle, and got back into playing again. Was fun..

Once you can ride a bike, you never forget. Or something like that.

• Members

While it could be due to a multitude of things, I'm inclined to think a big part of it is your study days man. As musicians, we are also music lovers and after listening to some thing enough times, especially for years on end, it tends to stick!

Brief example: I listen to music at work all the time, I can go around the corner for a minute and not be able to hear the music and then come back around to the stereo and pretty much know exactly where the song will be during my moment of absence, be it focusing on vocals, guitar or drums. I think it's just natural.

• Members

Sure I've had that happen. Since the bulk of my playing when I'm up to it is in my basement, I just have my computer downloads to play to. I get bored and will download some different material. The last time what you speak of twosticks to me was Tull's "Thick as a Brick" album. Yea I blew some sections here and there, but for the most part played right along and that's a whole side at a time. Lot's of fun.:):thu: I have unfortunately forgotten how to have sex though.........................:facepalm::facepalm:

Archived