what is Pearl's "acrolite" ??

kadrocker

• Members

I know Ludwig's Acrolite is a good do-it-all drum. And they're fairly cheap (used market of course.) I have a Blackrolite myself, great sounding drum.

What is Pearl, Yamaha, Mapex, and Tama's version of the Acrolite?

Not a cheapo drum, but a good all around drum. What's up?

• Members

The Pearl Sensitone is probably their most popular. But IMO, if you're looking for an all around Pearl snare that's not expensive, get yourself a Chad Smith signature.

You mean the "Pearl How Can We Completely Rip-Off/Copy the Acrolite, Right Down To The Center Bead, Since That's What Chad Actually Plays" model?

:thu:

• Members

Yamaha Steel Stage Custom,you need a dry head to take out some of the ring but I bought mine for 43$ and it looks new.Good all around drum.

Agreed, My Stage Custom set came with a "Steel" Yamaha but it doesn't say "Stage Custom" so I assume is the same for regular Yamaha "Steel" snares.

I have an Aquarian "Studio X" coated head on it and some moongel to tame the ring. They come in either 8 or 10 lug versions as well. I have the 8 lug. I also have a 70's Acro as my main snare. The Yamaha Steel snare is pretty close in sound.

• Members

Agreed, My Stage Custom set came with a "Steel" Yamaha but it doesn't say "Stage Custom" so I assume is the same for regular Yamaha "Steel" snares.

I have an Aquarian "Studio X" coated head on it and some moongel to tame the ring. They come in either 8 or 10 lug versions as well. I have the 8 lug. I also have a 70's Acro as my main snare. The Yamaha Steel snare is pretty close in sound.

yes very close

• Members

You mean the "Pearl How Can We Completely Rip-Off/Copy the Acrolite, Right Down To The Center Bead, Since That's What Chad Actually Plays" model?

:thu:

That COULD be funny if ANY of this was true.

The RHCP videos I've seen have Chad playing a Supraphonic, not an Acrolite. ALSO, the Chad Smith signature snare DOES NOT have a center bead. AND, finally, in the Pearl promo video of several years back, Chad Smith discusses using Pearl drums (of course) AND how HE personally speced out his signature drum to make a decent snare at a price point most any drummer can afford it. So even HE used price point in HIS signature snare design.

I believe the OP was looking for basic, inexpensive, workhorse snares by the othe major drum makers. And both the sensitone steel and Chad Smith signature snares would be that catagory from Pearl.

Boomerweps

• Members

That COULD be funny if ANY of this was true.

The RHCP videos I've seen have Chad playing a Supraphonic, not an Acrolite. ALSO, the Chad Smith signature snare DOES NOT have a center bead. AND, finally, in the Pearl promo video of several years back, Chad Smith discusses using Pearl drums (of course) AND how HE personally speced out his signature drum to make a decent snare at a price point most any drummer can afford it. So even HE used price point in HIS signature snare design.

I believe the OP was looking for basic, inexpensive, workhorse snares by the othe major drum makers. And both the sensitone steel and Chad Smith signature snares would be that catagory from Pearl.

Boomerweps

Unless I lost the use of my brain since, from the hundreds of viewings I had of it when it was looped at my shop, in Chad Smith's original drum instructional video (~'94 or so) he was using an Acrolite, and IIRC, pulled one out of the trunk of the muscle car he drove up in at the start of the video.

He switched to a Supraphonic later.

And again, pretty certain his signature snare DID have the center shell bead at first.

And of COURSE a promo video FOR PEARL wouldn't mention that coincidence.

Look far enough back, you'll see it's all accurate.

Or just go only by what you can see now...you know, the marketing promo that Pearl puts out.

• Members

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

I am enjoying all the Chad Smith discussion. I would like to try that snare out sometime.

Boomerweps is correct- I'm just looking for good all around snares from different makers

I actually have two Blackrolites. Love the sounds I get from it. Jiust seeing what else is out there as far as other brands. I thought Peael would be a good one to try next.

• Members

My primary gig snare is a 14x5 blacrolite with some aftermarket snares and a S-Hoop batter hoop (Safe-hoop). I prefer the Attack Terry Bozzio signature snare head set on it (and most snares). Instead of a new snare, try replacing the hoops on one of your Blacrolites, it made a big difference on mine and has a fantastic cross-stick sound.

My secondary gig snare is a Pearl Sessions shell from about 1995 or so that originally came with a "limited edition jazz" set that is really an Export mahogany mix shell with Sessions hardware. Got it semi-stripped of hardware, no heads, hoops or tension rods. Eventually put Pearl Mastercast hoops on it after trying a couple other sets of rims. Considered buying a Masters snare or replacing the basic shell but it sounds good now, why change it?

Also wanted to mention 3 of my 4 14" snares have 8 lugs so I can mix and match hops and snare wires to try different sounds.

Boomerweps

Archived