Sabian warranty?

JMR

• Members

1.) I emailed their customer service a little while ago about me getting a new cymbal (or money to buy one) to replace my 18" AA Sound Control Crash-Ride. However, I read up on their customer service, and if the cymbal doesn't qualify for warranty, you pay for shipping. I don't exactly have the disposable income to do all that.

The damage is a hairline crack beginning at the edge and going in about 3/4ths of an inch.

1.) If it doesn't qualify, what is the best way to go about drilling/cutting it?

• Members

I think their warranty is two years from date of purchase, you have to provide a copy of the receipt when you send it in. If you got it used you may be out of luck.

In my experience with them they have replaced every cymbal that I sent them. They even changed the type of cymbal they sent back to me, because I requested it to be changed from a Metal-x crash to a AA rock crash of the same size.

• Members

You're almost certainly out of luck then.

Can I ask what would lead you to believe that the warranty would still have been valid after you'd bought it used? Warranty coverage rarely works on the honor-system, and almost never allows for passing on ownership through subsequent re-sale (unless specifically noted that coverage transfers, and in those cases, you pay a premium for it).

There's simply no way Sabian would know how much use/abuse the cymbal may have gone through before you got it to be able to assess if the breakage falls under coverage or not (qualifies).

Do you know if the period from when the cymbal was originally purchased NEW (assuming you bought it from that individual) through now is under 2 years total? I would guess that if that's the case AND you can turn up a copy of the original sales reciept confirming the date of original sale, you MIGHT be able to 'work the system', but otherwise...hell no.

• Members

Their warranty doesn't mention anything about it being voided under resell. Pearl's warranty, by comparison, specifically says the warranty is void once resold.

2-YEAR WARRANTY

North America - All SABIAN cymbal series are guaranteed against defects in workmanship and materials for a period of 2 years from original date of purchase. A 6-Month Warranty applies to 'Solar by SABIAN'. Cymbals replaced under our North American Warranty will be shipped only to an address in the U.S. or Canada.

Unless you got the sales receipt from the original purchase, you're out of luck.

In North America to obtain warranty service, ship the cymbals prepaid along with a copy of the dated proof of purchase to the following;

In the USA

SABIAN

91 Airport Drive,

Houlton, ME.

Please call 1-800-817-2242 to request an RMA

• Members

Their warranty doesn't mention anything about it being voided under resell. Pearl's warranty, by comparison, specifically says the warranty is void once resold.

That doesn't mean that the Sabian warranty is still good after being re-sold, though: at best, it's a grey area and requires more information. I would be willing to bet $ on the fact that once the cymbal is re-sold, the warranty is voided:

IME the ONLY warranties I've ever seen/encountered or had coverage from where coverage transferred, the language was clear and specifically noted that the coverage WOULD transfer, and again, you pay an additional cost for that extended coverage, because it increases the re-sale value.

• Members

2-YEAR WARRANTY

North America - All SABIAN cymbal series are guaranteed against defects in workmanship and materials for a period of 2 years from original date of purchase. A 6-Month Warranty applies to 'Solar by SABIAN'. Cymbals replaced under our North American Warranty will be shipped only to an address in the U.S. or Canada.

Unless you got the sales receipt from the original purchase, you're out of luck.

In North America to obtain warranty service, ship the cymbals prepaid along with a copy of the dated proof of purchase to the following;

In the USA

SABIAN

91 Airport Drive,

Houlton, ME.

Please call 1-800-817-2242 to request an RMA

You also need to get a RA number from Sabian before you ship it to them, otherwise it will come right back to you.

Archived