Advice from drummers

The 615

• Members

I wanted to play drums at age 10 and got told, "Maybe when you're 12." By the time I was 12, I wasn't interested anymore. I turned 23 and decided that I'd buy myself a kit and give it a go. Best thing I ever did (other than marrying my lovely wife... obviously.).

I started in lessons for a year and that's why I'm not terrible. Props to good teachers.

Oh, and I have never done marching band or anything like that, but I play drum set in a celtic rock band. Frequently I'm called upon to do snare work, and I'm not going to lie, I wish I'd done some marching snare haha. Sometimes it's rough going, and I have to keep it relatively simple. Being well-rounded is always good... which is pretty much what at least two other people have already said.

+1 to everything.

I should say that the teacher I had pushed drum set and snare technique pretty equally (a bit heavier on the set, but the technique came from the snare alone, really). I have found this to be incredibly helpful and it seems like other forum members would have found it helpful as well; if you look for teachers, you should look for this

Archived