In-ears w/o micing everything?

ckcondon

• Members

I love my in-ears, but when we play smaller rooms micing everything adds a lot of time to the setup and most of it isn't going through the PA.

I'm thinking of trying a mix of kick drum and whatever bleeds through the vocal mics (mine included)

Any of you ever go with ears, but not have everything mic'ed?

Cheers,

CC

• Members

I would think, as long as you can still hear everyone else, and still hear the lows of your kit, you wouldn,t lose the feel. As long as everyone else isn,t overbearing in your in ears. Ive thought about going in ears, with everything mic,ed.....but gettin all the band members on the same wagon is a hard thing to overcome.

• Members

one idea:

If you're using in-ear monitors in a small room, you don't have to mic EVERYTHING up, just place two "room" mics near the front of the "stage" area, and use those to pickup the amps and drums to send to the in-ear monitors along with vocals and anything that is close mic'd. Just make sure the signal from the room mics NEVER reaches a speaker, know what I mean? You could use masking tape to 'lock' the main mix faders for those channels in the off position, so no accidental feedback!

Did that make sense?

• Members

Any of you ever go with ears, but not have everything mic'ed?

Yes.

And

Yes.

All (4) Vox, both guitars, bass, sequences and my pad controller are lined into our monitor mix and available to taste/preference in everyone's IEMS.

For all rehearsals, and when we play rooms that need dums mic'ed, not a single drum goes into the monitor mix, for anyone.

Never had a single issue with it, and I've got very good seals from custom-fit Sensaphonics buds.

Get minimal bleed through the vocal mics, and feel more than enough from sitting on top of things.

Archived