Karnivool - Deadman (drum cover VIDEO)

grantcooper2

• Members

My good friend and bandmate, Brady Mason, just recently did a cover of Karnivool - Deadman. Check it out if you dig wicked drumming and wicked songs by WICKED AUSTRALIANS!

[video=youtube;8SB-CJVk5Bw]

I filmed this with my old Panasonic GH2 w/20mm 1.7f lens. It is long gone now but I really liked that camera.

Brady's drums are Yamaha Custom Maple and his cymbals are Sabian (mostly Paragons I believe)

Recording equipment for drums was Apex tom mics, AKG D112 and a few SM57's, Steinberg MR816CSX, MacBook Pro i5, Logic Studio 9.

More videos to come, some covers, lots of originals!

• Members

Can't make out the background.There was as a kid just here asking for votes on his drum cover. I told him there's nothing to vote over somebody playing along with a song. This is no different. Playing the parts is assumed. The skill is driving the tune while blending seamlessly into the environment. Might as well be a beat lesson.

• Members

@1001gear

"The skill is driving the tune while blending seamlessly into the environment" - I respect your opinion but that is definitely somewhat subjective. A lot of people bash certain cover videos because they can't hear the drums over top of the song enough so you get accused of your cover being "fake" and whatnot. We thought it was best to mix Brady's drums slightly on top of the mix to alleviate those sort of false claims. But I do see what you are saying.

To each there own :) I personally love watching people play drum and guitar covers, but that's just me! Thanks for the view/comment nevertheless.

• Members

I think doubling the drums on a recording might be worthwhile practice but the craft remains what one can do with a tune. That may be the value of the original recording albeit very rare in the harder varieties of rock. A value that is diminished when the tune itself is relegated to mere decorum, regardless. That leaves the potential of a drum lesson or just another 5 minutes on YTube. Or in your case maybe some good photography. In any case if you're trying to breed a new genre, I think the old principles of balance/proportion/intellectual content/stimulation - whatever else may apply, still apply.

• Members

"I think doubling the drums on a recording might be worthwhile practice but the craft remains what one can do with a tune."

Totally agree! Which is why this cover, like most covers, is just for fun and not to be taken overly serious.

Where as the music we make, while also being primarily for fun, is a bit more serious and is definitely more about what compliments the tune as a whole. Really excited to get some of our originals out soon but just thought I would share a nice rendition of a great tune.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I've heard that song a good number of times and its pretty close to my heart. Not a bad job; didn't really notice anything major out of place. Having said that, I'd prefer if I could really hear the differences between the song's drumming and his drumming. It's hard to make out at times which is which.

Archived