New Slingerland drums?

rockbeat

• Members

I ran across an article discussing Slingerland drums and it said the company is still in existance with a manufacturing facility in Conway, Arkansas. All of this was news to me. I knew the company had been acquired by Gibson at one point but assumed they had quit making them since I had not seen nor heard of any new Slingerland kits in sometime. I even found a Gibson/Slingerland website that showed apparently new Slingerland kits, yet I am unable to find a single distributor for the drums or any other info at all. This has just really peaked my curiosity. Does anyone know anything else about this? Are the drums still being manufactured or not? The kits on the site looked really nice.

• Members

any new kits today with the Slingerland name are WAY overpriced, no matter what company owns them. and that is unfortunate. no doubt, today Slingerlands have nothing to do with those kits from the "heyday" or anything since then, i'm sure.

• Members

Gibson aquired Slingerland in the 1990's, I'm thinking that it was 1994 or so. Production began in Nashville and continued there for a few years. I own a single ply Radio King snare with die cast hoops built during this period, great drum. Produuction was moved to Conway Arkansas somewhere around the late 1990's, early 2000's. The product was very good, dealer support wasn't the best and they were not priced as competitively as they could have been. Production halted in 2008 or 2009. The websites are still up oddly enough.

If they were to go back into production I'd go take a long hard look at them.

Here is a pic of the 1997 Radio King snare that I mentioned.

RadioKing001.jpg

• Members

Gibson has owned the Slingerland brand for a lOOONG time now.

All the photos on the website are the same ones from a Slingerland catalog I had back in the late 90's. About 6-7 years ago they tried to re-introduce the brand. I remember seeing a kit set up at NAMM, and Carmine Appice had a signature kit.

He did a clinic at a store near my house, and part of the deal for him doing the clinic is that the store had to be a Slingerland/Gibson dealer. They got in two of the new kits, one being Carmine's signature kit. As of two years ago, those kits were still sitting in that store...

I don't think Gibson has done anything with the brand since that time, and it doesn't seem like they plan on it any time soon...

• 7 years later...

Archived