System of a down toxicity drum cover (pro shot with 3 angles)

Mukund

• Members

Nice seeing someone playing along with System of a Down still - John Dolyman is a cool drummer with his own sound. I often wonder what he'd sound like outside of SOAD!

There was another user who posted a drum video cover of "Chop Suey!" a little while ago, and his playing was rather similar to yours. The knowledge of the song was there, but "the seed had not grown into the fruit yet." You've got the notes and the chops and the tempo, but I'd agree that the playing seems VERY stiff and static.

I also would have to comment on the "singular note" sound you get out of each stroke. It's most apparent when playing the hi-hat, in that there's no inflection in the different 8th notes; they're all at the same volume and intensity. John's playing has a bit of an accent wave going on -- you may want to check that out in more of his playing to capture the feel. Lars Ulrich and Phil Rudd really nail that, too. I love that sound...

Anywho, keep playing, man! The internet and technology have made posting videos of yourself very easy to do, so be ready to be complimented, insulted, critiqued, and applauded if you're going to post stuff, but more than anything, being reviewed by your peers (US!!!) is one of the best teaching tools you can have.

Thanks for your opinion :)

and that chop suey guy was me only haha

and i am working on accents currently

and yeah one of the best teaching tools :)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Knowledge bomb dropped by BF.

And Fitch, it wasn't too long ago that someone was rippin' Lars a new one for that hi-hat sound. Funny how all of our tastes are so different
:)

I use that technique in certain rock songs my band plays, but others I try to keep steady and even. Gotta have all the tricks in your bag, I guess.

Ain't that the truth! :thu:

• Members

Thanks for your opinion
:)
and that chop suey guy was me only haha

Nah, it was one of CarmineW's students -- popular song to play and record! I had a friend film me doing it with my band last summer in response, but she lost the vid. Que cera cera...

• Members

You can be such an idiot sometimes. Never ignored, hence the acknowledging that I had no affinity for the songs and stating that I wasn't impressed.

Keep trying. One day you'll get it.

Neglecting to comment is ignoring.

• Members

Just watched your video. I can see where some of the older guys are coming from on here about relaxing, finesse, etc. That being said I think you did a good job being new to drumming. I also think you have guts to be new and post a video on here where a lot of these guys are pros and have been playing over half their lives. Keep that fire and passion and don't give up. You have the potential to be very good. Loosen your wrists and relax behind the set. Learn to play with finesse. You dont have to bang the drums or cymbals to make them scream. You just have to know how to hit and flip your wrists. Learning songs early will help you a lot rather than doing what I unfortunatly did for several years and playing just your own {censored}. Keep filming yourself but instead of posting on internet, show it to your teacher and ask for constructive critisism. If you do feel compelled to put it on the internet, instead of advertising it for its cinematic quality, try saying to everyone that you posted a video and would like to hear their opinions, critisisim, and critiques. Keep trying and don't quit. Everytime you figure something out that you couldn't do before is an extremely rewarding experience and it adds to your playing ability in ways that make you happy and the people you play with happy.

• Members
Everytime you figure something out that you couldn't do before is an extremely rewarding experience and it adds to your playing ability in ways that make you happy and the people you play with happy.

:thu:

• Members

Thank you

well i never thought the title would be misleading as i didn't mean to show off by saying three angles ad better sound

indirectly i meant i wanted your opinions and criticism.

Archived