New Equipment Questions

MX DRUMMER

• Members

Another vote for the Roc n Soc/spindle throne...had mine over 10 years of weekly gigging now and shows no signs of wearing out anytime soon.

Using a common Walmart rug..in black....tight stages + clumsy bass player = frequent spills, plus storage space is no issue, rolls right up and goes in the trunk on top of the other stuff.

• Members

I have a Gibraltar throne with the tractor seat (I would never ride a bike with one of those seats) and the backrest. Not hydraulic, just the spindle. I keep my height set for long periods of time and it's just me that uses it, so it works out fine. As far as the carpet goes, I agree with the remnant group. The carpeting used in the drum rugs seems to me to be lower-grade indoor/outdoor carpeting. I have a drum rug made by Road Runner. Usually I lay my remnant down first and the drum rug on top. Especially if i'm setting up outside on concrete or cobblestones (the worst).

From a gig a couple of weeks ago:

CanyonCrest.jpg

I suppose I could have done a better job smoothing out the drum rug, but I can never smooth it out completely.

• Members

I have a Gibraltar throne with the tractor seat (I would never ride a bike with one of those seats) and the backrest. Not hydraulic, just the spindle. I keep my height set for long periods of time and it's just me that uses it, so it works out fine. As far as the carpet goes, I agree with the remnant group. The carpeting used in the drum rugs seems to me to be lower-grade indoor/outdoor carpeting. I have a drum rug made by Road Runner. Usually I lay my remnant down first and the drum rug on top. Especially if i'm setting up outside on concrete or cobblestones (the worst).

From a gig a couple of weeks ago:

CanyonCrest.jpg

I suppose I could have done a better job smoothing out the drum rug, but I can never smooth it out completely.

That's a nice set up you have.

• Members

So it seems like Roc N Soc is the way to go. What are the major differences between spindle and hydraulic?

I use the spindle because I have played on two hydraulic units that lowered while I was playing. Yes, I'm a fat ass and that has some bearing on the situation, but these were problematic for the skinny guys that were playing that day also. If I'm the only person behind my kit height, should be a constant, so set it (spindle height) and forget it!

• Members

This may not be true for all, but from the drummer buddies of mine, the ability to collapse a tripod on a spindle throne versus the Roc-n-Soc 5 leg design makes transporting the spindle a lot easier.

I'm sure there's some variations of this, but it's worth keeping in mind -- if you're gigging a lot, make sure you can transport your throne!

• Members

This may not be true for all, but from the drummer buddies of mine, the ability to collapse a tripod on a spindle throne versus the Roc-n-Soc 5 leg design makes transporting the spindle a lot easier.

I'm sure there's some variations of this, but it's worth keeping in mind -- if you're gigging a lot, make sure you can transport your throne!

Words of wisdom.

• Members

My RnS nitro is 3 legged

• Members

I bought a Roc 'n Soc hydraulic throne years ago and swear by it. It is very comfortable. The height adjustment is super easy. I used to use a cheap rigid round throne for years before that. But then I figured the most valuable part of the kit (me) deserves the best stand I can get even if it costs more. It's been totally worth it.

As for rugs, I use either a small throw rug I buy at Target or somewhere, or a remnant, or now, a North Texas State University Mean Green rug my wife bought me!

Go with the Roc 'n Soc. You won't be sorry.

• Members

If you go hydraulic that Roc-n-Soc looks like the way to go,but the Pork Pie spindle type throne looks excellent as well,and comes in black on black.It would look great with either set.As said above the hydraulic types are a "springy" kind of ride,while spindle types lock in. Either can be had from MF for about a bucksixtey! You will find $100.00 in you credit union account today as I have to go there to get the rent,and Vectren,and deposit them in your Mom's account.You need to go back to GC and try both IMO.

• Members

Awesome thanks dad! Yeah as soon as I can get some time off. These two guys I work for are great guys but not the brightest with time management lol.

You are in the Army.So how on God's green earth can this be a surprise?When we did the USO tours (right after you were born),it was always "hurry up and wait",ALWAYS!!! Lol

Archived