Songs you WANT to play, but...

mraia3

• Members

100% serious. If you knew me, you wouldn't think it out of left field at all.

When I was 11, 12, 13 or so, I loved that stuff and listened to it (and solo Adam Ant) constantly. Strip was actually the first full-length new LP (that's vinyl kids) I bought myself (prior to that it was all 45s and used albums).

:thu::thu::thu::thu::thu::thu:

I was into that stuff myself...HUGE Cure fan! I loved that 80's goth/punk/pop. Still do!

• Members

:thu:

I was into that stuff myself...HUGE Cure fan! I loved that 80's goth/punk/pop. Still do!

I'm doing a "Classic Albums" gig tomorrow night:

Standing on a Beach (vinyl version) front to back

• Members

I'm doing a "Classic Albums" gig tomorrow night:

Standing on a Beach (vinyl version) front to back

This is cool. I don't know why more cover bands don't do this sort of thing. When I was in college, one of the hot cover bands in town used to do 1 side of the Beatles White Album. Crowd went nuts evey time.

• Members

This is cool. I don't know why more cover bands don't do this sort of thing. When I was in college, one of the hot cover bands in town used to do 1 side of the Beatles White Album. Crowd went nuts evey time.

It can be a tough sell; especially if people who would otherwise be fans of the band you're performing as dislike that particular album you choose, etc. I think it's an easier sell if you select an act/artist and do the hits from across multiple albums, etc. Then you appeal to a cross-over of diehards AND people only somewhat familiar.

Originally, the idea for tomorrow's gig was to do The Cure's Head On the Door, however this is a side-project which plays every few months doing a mix of Cure songs from across their catalog, and getting HOTD down would have meant adding 6 songs we don't currently do, with only one rehearsal possible. I voted against and suggested SOAB because it's a greatest hits/singles comp, and it meant adding only 2 songs we'd never played.

• Members

It can be a tough sell; especially if people who would otherwise be fans of the band you're performing as dislike that particular album you choose, etc. I think it's an easier sell if you select an act/artist and do the hits from across multiple albums, etc. Then you appeal to a cross-over of diehards AND people only somewhat familiar.

Originally, the idea for tomorrow's gig was to do The Cure's Head On the Door, however this is a side-project which plays every few months doing a mix of Cure songs from across their catalog, and getting HOTD down would have meant adding 6 songs we don't currently do, with only one rehearsal possible. I voted against and suggested SOAB because it's a greatest hits/singles comp, and it meant adding only 2 songs we'd never played.

I love it! That would NEVER fly here, but I would pay bucks deluxe to sit in a bar and listen!

• Members

I'd love to play some Animals as Leaders or Meshuggah if I could find a guitarist that could handle it. The guy I've been playing with for the past two years is very good, but learning material from either of those two would still be a fair bit of work for him. More like "if I could find a guitarist that would put up with learning it," really.

I once did participated in covers of Muse and Kanye West for different friends that didn't have drummers. I'd really like to do some more stuff like that.

Archived